Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2018, 18:28   #1
BHPian

Ford Endeavour: DIY Sync 3 update (v2.2 to 2.3)

This is DIY for Ford Sync 3 update (Version 2.2 to 2.3)

I was trying to update Sync ever since my ford owner login > my vehicle profile showed that a update is available for my Sync 3 version 2.2.

Ford Endeavour: DIY Sync 3 update (v2.2 to 2.3)-20180115_091846.jpg

The update is customized based on VIN registered under vehicle profile and one need to request for download by clicking the request download button

Within 24 hours I received an email that the download is ready and can be downloaded from Ford owner login page.

However my repeated attempt to download went in vein as download did not commence. I tried this multiple time without any success. Thereafter I tried to get the Sync updated through Ford Service but even they could not carry out the update.

The entire Sync affair took lot of my effort and time but I decided to keep trying after reading and watching video about Sync updates. Most of the YouTube video and forum discussion deals about upgrade from Sync 3 version 1.1 to 2.2 but none from 2.2 to 2.3. But the YouTube videos and forum discussion did give lots of idea about unfriendliness of Ford updates. For ex- no confirmation on software install, not many pop up message, delay in start of upload/download, no status bar.

All these helped me to keep trying and believe me the patience runs out before you get any message or activity starts. At least 20 times I would concluded that update will not commence and ejected the USB from Sync. But once it did and now I know that update message comes almost 10 to 15 minutes after plugging the USB drive.

Similarly the software download button will not be execute (although download link will be enabled) immediately after you receive the email but please give it 12 to 24 hours and download should start.

For benefits of fellow BHPians, here are the steps

STEP 1: Login to Ford Owners account for FORD INDIA. Refer link below. In case you do not have owners account please register. Based the VIN your vehicle profile is created automatically. You can add delete multiple vehicles. Here again, it may take up to couple of days for system to map your Sync version. The system may not show your Sync version immediately. After couple of days you can have either of the two status.

Already latest version
Or
Update to latest version

https://www.india.ford.com/owner/das...lay/login.html

The below steps are for "update to latest version" only.

STEP 2: Please click “update to latest version”, which will take you to “Request Download” Button. Request download and wait for the email as below.

Ford Endeavour: DIY Sync 3 update (v2.2 to 2.3)-request.png

STEP 3: Once you receive above email, you may login and try downloading. As said above, for first time users download may not commence and you need to keep trying. After couple of attempts or days the system may once again ask you to “request download”. No harm in multiple attempt.

Ford Endeavour: DIY Sync 3 update (v2.2 to 2.3)-20180117_183622.jpg

Close up of same snapshot

Ford Endeavour: DIY Sync 3 update (v2.2 to 2.3)-20180117_183633.jpg

Next step guide which may you read till download is complete

Ford Endeavour: DIY Sync 3 update (v2.2 to 2.3)-20180117_183702.jpg

The unzip instruction file from website reads as below.

Ford Endeavour: DIY Sync 3 update (v2.2 to 2.3)-20180117_183819.jpg

STEP 4: If the download commence, please save the Zip file to hard drive. Do not directly copy to USB drive. Immediately after clicking download button, you will get following email for reporting update. No of clicks = no of emails. Reporting is required so that next time you get the correct update and VIN information is updated.

Ford Endeavour: DIY Sync 3 update (v2.2 to 2.3)-report.png

Ford Endeavour: DIY Sync 3 update (v2.2 to 2.3)-20180117_183846.jpg

STEP5: While the update is downloading, please format the USB drive. Make sure the file system of USB drive is FAT32 (Default) before formatting. Quick format is good enough or you may try full format as download takes time

Ford Endeavour: DIY Sync 3 update (v2.2 to 2.3)-20180117_183935.jpg

STEP6: Unzip all the files on PC. Select all files (CRL+A) as there could be some hidden files (Just in case as such I did check for hidden files) and drag/copy them to USB drive. EJECT the USB drive and move to your vehicle. You will see two files and a folder named "Syncmyride".

STEP7: Start the Vehicle (you can try with IGNITION ON position but I did it during an hour drive to office). Make sure no Bluetooth or cable or any other USB is connected to Sync. Insert the USB drive and waiting game begins. No change will happen to screen for at least 7-10 minutes. You can do whatever you want on Sync but please avoid. If you try taking out the USB drive it will give installation ERROR Message (Error Code: SIGN_ERR01). It means some action is going behind the scene. If there is error with USB drive (Like you are using exFAT file system, which I also tried as well, based on an YouTube video) you will get pop up message- “USB is unresponsive” but only after 7-10 minutes.

STEP8: After 7-10 minutes the Sync screen shows ‘Updating system software” for at least 3-5 minutes followed by Sync restarting. Do not switch off vehicle or eject USB drive.

Ford Endeavour: DIY Sync 3 update (v2.2 to 2.3)-20180118_075414.jpg

There are multiple updates and all are done separately. You will see Sync restarting and next update takes another 3-5 minutes to start. So do not eject the USB drive or switch-off vehicle. After atleast two update, you will receive pop up message saying “First part of update completed and please restart Sync at your convenience to install second part of update. Please do nothing but wait. Waiting is the name of the game. Since the Sync already restarted, the second part of update will also begin without you restarting the vehicle again. This update will take almost 10 minutes. Once update is completed you will see Pop up message saying the update is completed and the update will be effective next time you start the vehicle. Now you can switch off the vehicle, take out keys and open driver’s door to allow Sync to switch off completely. (Even at this step, I waited for 10 minutes before switching off the ignition)

STEP9: Restart the Vehicle. The Sync gives a message that system is updated and you may click the detail button for further information (Before I could click “Detail” button on the pop up, it closed on its own)You check the Settings> General > About Sync for updated version.

Ford Endeavour: DIY Sync 3 update (v2.2 to 2.3)-20180118_083020.jpg

STEP10: The update creates a xml file in USB drive. Please check “Syncmyride” folder for xml file. You need to report successful install in order to receive correct update in future. Under owner login page, please open “report update” link, upload xml file from USB. You may receive error message –“Oops something went wrong” buy do not worry. The update is successfully reported. Please logout and re-login after sometime and under vehicle profile Sync will show “already latest version”

Update completed. But here is the final punch.

Those you find above method cumbersome, please do not bother to update as there is no visible difference between Sync version 2.2 and 2.3. However you may still like to keep the above DIY handy so that you can do the update in future, as for sure there would be a major update in future. For information software version 1.1 to 2.2 was a major update (to include Apple Carplay and Android Auto) and above method could have been followed.

Last edited by Wanderers : 18th January 2018 at 18:51.
Wanderers is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 18th January 2018, 18:50   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Ford Endeavour : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderers View Post
This is DIY on Ford Sync 3 update (Version 2.2 to 2.3)
Thanks for this superb step by step post on how to update. IIRC our car is also on 2.2 and this would be an interesting weekend project to carry on.

I get wifi connection at the car parking and i was wondering if the system has capability to download and update on it's own? Asking since i remember checking for update (after connecting the system to wifi) 3 months back and it mentioned no updates available.

Last edited by GTO : 19th January 2018 at 09:41. Reason: Moved prop shaft sticker posts to new thread
Jaggu is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th January 2018, 09:36   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Ford Endeavour: DIY Sync 3 update (v2.2 to 2.3)

Many thanks for sharing, Wanderers! Moving your incredibly useful post to its own thread so that other Endeavour owners don't miss it.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th January 2018, 16:15   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I get wifi connection at the car parking and i was wondering if the system has capability to download and update on it's own?
Technically speaking, Sync 3 has automatic update under settings > general > automatic updates.
Under automatic update you can further choose "check for update" and force Sync to go for immediate update.
I tried using mobile hot spot but it did not work. Well, it looks for update and nothing happens. Maybe you can try with your wifi as connection speed matters. Although my 4G mobile has good speed but it could be fluctuating.

Last edited by Wanderers : 19th January 2018 at 16:19.
Wanderers is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2018, 17:14   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Well, it looks for update and nothing happens. Maybe you can try with your wifi as connection speed matters. Although my 4G mobile has good speed but it could be fluctuating.
I had done using direct Wifi and that too a 75 Mbps one, it checked and had given a response latest. Like i said this was couple of months back, will try again sometime this weekend. Thanks!
Jaggu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2018, 19:57   #6
BHPian

Somehow 2.2 to 2.3 update is not detected in the auto setting and has to be done manually. As far as changes go, I read somewhere that the Android Auto/Apple car play experience has been improved. From personal experience, I don't notice any change. Spotify does work better.
Old 24th January 2018, 14:58   #7
BHPian

Many thanks for sharing these steps, I was finally able to update SYNC to 2.3. Mine happened fairly quickly after inserting the USB drive.
In all it took about 20 minutes, there was also a string displayed on top "Updating System Software"

One additional pointer based on my experiences.

Do not use a MAC to unzip the files, I noticed that MAC archive utility was not creating a separate directory "syncmyride".

Its best to use a windows computer.
anshuman77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2018, 20:44   #8
BHPian

Hi. My Endeavour 3.2 has a Sync 3 system in it, but during the last TCM/PCM update, the tech at Riddhi Ford (New Delhi) curiously reset the Sync version from 2.2 to 2.0. It apparently fixed the radio station skip fault that was plaguing my Endeavour and others.
I read yesterday that the new Ver 3.0 update to Sync 3, allows Waze maps to work on the screen through iPhones. I followed the instructions above and tried installing update 3.0 through USB (formatted to FAT 32 via a Windows PC to avoid SLT_ERR05 error code). However, nothing happened even after a 20 min wait except for the brief message 'Version 3.0 detected' as soon as the USB stick was inserted into the Sync port. Unplugging from the port also did not produce any error message as it was supposed to, in case the installation was working in the background. What am I doing wrong?

1. Can Sync 3 make the leap directly from Ver 2.0 to 3.0?
2. If I have to download and install the intermediate versions, where do I source it from?
3. Is it finally worth the messy process to Ver 3.0? Anyone tried Waze on Ver3.0 so far?

Thanks a bunch!
Old 22nd May 2018, 09:00   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUVolens View Post
Hi. My Endeavour 3.2 has a Sync 3 system in it, but during the last TCM/PCM update, the tech at Riddhi Ford (New Delhi) curiously reset the Sync version from 2.2 to 2.0.
I believe you as you would have checked the version in your Sync. As per me this is not possible as all Ford updates are online and it firstly checks your version and than updates it. Resetting would not downgrade the software version. Please check your VIN and serial number in SYNC. A remote possibility that your box has been changed.

Also PCM/TCM or even audio control module (ACM) is different and not same as Sync version update.

For you I suggest two route

1. Use high speed broad-band (Jio or equivalent if you stay in a apartment) and go for update through Sync under 'Check update option". This way Ford will know which version you are running.

2. In any case after trying step 1, please login into Ford owner and see what is the version of Sync shown. It only shows if the version is old otherwise says 'already latest version". Wait for couple of days before requesting update or download request.

Ford website is connected to Sync through Wi-fi and eventually knows the Sync version installed in your car.

Not only Sync version, the Ford website will also knows the status of your tyres, brakes and next service due. In fact same Sync is used to check Vehicle health in some of the overseas countries.

Quote:
1. Can Sync 3 make the leap directly from Ver 2.0 to 3.0?
Sync updates are customized based on last known version or the factory version as per VIN. So the answer is yes provided the ford knows you are on 2.0.

Quote:

2. If I have to download and install the intermediate versions, where do I source it from?
I am not aware about any such download. I am sure such updates would be available but like many US companies (e.g. Garmin) this may result in jailbreak kind of Sync and future update may not happen automatically or through Ford website.

Quote:

3. Is it finally worth the messy process to Ver 3.0? Anyone tried Waze on Ver3.0 so far?
Version 3.0 update allows Ford approved apps like Sygic maps through USB cables. Earlier this option was not there in setting. Yesterday I tried carplay for Waze but it did not work even though my ios version is latest. I need to check website as always there is some specific steps. For e.g. in Sygic, you need to open the app before inserting USB.

Overall no great change. The update details said "continuous software improvement"

Please see below snapshot

Ford Endeavour: DIY Sync 3 update (v2.2 to 2.3)-img20180410wa0000.jpg

Ford Owners login
Ford Endeavour: DIY Sync 3 update (v2.2 to 2.3)-sync-version.jpg

Last edited by Wanderers : 22nd May 2018 at 09:25.
Wanderers is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2018, 10:53   #10
BHPian

Thanks Wanderers. The good news is that I finally managed to successfully update my Sync3 Ver 2.0 to Ver 3.0 just a while back. Tried a slightly different tack from yesterday and I'll highlight the process for anyone with similar 'equipment' as I:

Mode of updation: via USB
Computer at hand for download: Macbook Pro
Browser used: Chrome
Application used to unzip downloaded files: The Unarchiver from App Store (free)
USB device used: SanDisc Cuzer Blade 32 GB (this is important since an exact copy of the downloaded files on a 8 GB and 16 GB USB device failed in the first two attempts today. Don't ask me why - I'm just the messenger).

Following instructions from Wanderers and several others online:

1. Disconnect ALL USB devices from the car and disable your device Bluetooth so they don't connect with SYNC during the updation process.
2. Start the car and leave it running (in a well ventilated place for safety precautions - you don't wanna learn to play the harp while updating a car UI).
3. Plug in the USB device and (in my case) "Updating system software" should pop up on the top left in less than 5 minutes. This then continues to stare at you for 8-10 minutes before the next prompt "Restarting system".
4. Allow system to reboot by itself and the "Updating system software" reappears, now for a shorter duration. 5 mins probably. Next prompt "Installation complete. You may now remove USB device. Update will take effect the next time you start your vehicle."
5. Wait 5 mins (paranoia). Switch off car. Remove keys. Open doors (SYNC will bid you goodbye). Close doors. Ponder about life.
6. Hesitatingly fire the engine again. Go to Settings and look up About SYNC. BIG RELIEF and Hallelujah! SYNC3 Ver 3.0!

Slightly different fonts, some more disclaimers, etc etc. Nothing earth shakingly new except for a sense of pride that you did it! You made your ride contemporary withour wringing your palms at at Ford ASC. Now go reward yourself with a soda.

Waze? The very reason I updated to ver 3.0? No sign of it...
SUVolens is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2018, 11:21   #11
BHPian

Quote:

Waze? The very reason I updated to ver 3.0? No sign of it...
I have figured out waze on sync but yet to try it.
Waze is directly available as Ford app similar to Sygic through USB. It is not available through carplay as someone said on New Ford Endeavour official review thread.

Please enable mobile apps through USB in sync setting, open Waze and than connect to USB cable. Try couple of times and it should work. Sometime you may have to do reset.

Also you need to disable carplay or android auto before connecting otherwise they take precedence over Ford apps.

Last edited by Wanderers : 22nd May 2018 at 11:32.
Wanderers is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2018, 13:21   #12
BHPian

Quote:
I have figured out waze on sync but yet to try it.
Waze is directly available as Ford app similar to Sygic through USB. It is not available through carplay as someone said on New Ford Endeavour official review thread.

Please enable mobile apps through USB in sync setting, open Waze and than connect to USB cable. Try couple of times and it should work. Sometime you may have to do reset.

Also you need to disable carplay or android auto before connecting otherwise they take precedence over Ford apps.
I'm a little lost here Wanderers, so please help - when you say Waze is directly available for download from Ford, where exactly do you mean? The India Ford Owners site doesnt seem to have an app download page..

Thanks a bunch.
Old 22nd May 2018, 15:49   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Waze is directly available as Ford app similar to Sygic through USB.
Quote:
I'm a little lost here Wanderers, so please help - when you say Waze is directly available for download from Ford, where exactly do you mean? The India Ford Owners site doesnt seem to have an app download page..

Thanks a bunch.
Please see my earlier post. I meant Waze is Ford compatible app. You need to download the same from app store only. You have done it already and now move on to next step.

1. Put the car ignition in ON or ACC mode
2. Disable Carplay and Android auto from Sync setting.
3. Plugin USB side of cable in Ford. Use left side USB socket.
4. Open Waze on you iphone.
5. Connect lighting cable to iphone and wait. A separate tab called Waze, similar to audio/climate should appear at bottom. You can also try find apps under apps tab.

6. Repeat step 5 if required as first time the sync is not responsive.
7. Change cable if required. You need a very good data cable.

Watch youtube video for more detail. Just search for Waze on Sync 3 iphone.
For call you need to connect the phone through usual Bluetooth mode. You can even connect another phone for calls/sms.

Last edited by Wanderers : 22nd May 2018 at 15:55.
Wanderers is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th May 2018, 17:40   #14

Completed the Sync3 3.0 update yesterday night. Process is pretty straightforward, used a 16gb pendrive.

Starts with downloading the update zip, extracting it to the pendrive which was formatted to fat32.
Plugged the pd in left usb port of sync3 and after couple of minutes it displayed Updating system.
After about 20 mins, it displayed a confirmation that system was updated and would start the next time car is started.

Post this, getting the Waze app to sync and work was bit of a trial and error method, but make sure you don't switch on Carplay. The first time Waze takes quite some time to load, but subsequent loads are faster.

For me, the Waze ui isn't as smooth as the native navigation of sync. Its possibly cause am using an iPhone 6+.

Overall, there are few UI related changes like font, icons, etc. Few settings icon are possibly shifted elsewhere, but overall system behaves and acts the same.

If waze is the first one to join, hoping for other applications to start supporting Sync3.

Pics for ref:

Ford Endeavour: DIY Sync 3 update (v2.2 to 2.3)-img_8169.jpg

Ford Endeavour: DIY Sync 3 update (v2.2 to 2.3)-img_8170.jpg

Ford Endeavour: DIY Sync 3 update (v2.2 to 2.3)-img_8171.jpg

Ford Endeavour: DIY Sync 3 update (v2.2 to 2.3)-img_8175.jpg

Ford Endeavour: DIY Sync 3 update (v2.2 to 2.3)-img_8178.jpg
dragunov11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2019, 17:51   #15
BHPian

Hi Everyone,

I have been trying to download Sync update through the owner website dashboard, but whenever I click the 'U[date New Version' link, there is just a black overlay and there are no further changes to the page. I tried the OTA update with WiFi, but it just refuses to completely download the update. Can someone let me know a workaround?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks