Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2006, 00:45   #1
BHPian

Need info on Sub and enclosure

Hey Guys,

I got this Sub-woofer from my friend yesterday.

I searched everywhere to get more information on the Sub and type of enclosure, but I could not find any.
Can you Guys tell me if this Sub is good or not. What type of Enclosure should I use for it.
As I don't have an Amp right now, What should I buy that would Match the above Sub. I have my eyes on the JBL 74.5 Amp. Will this do???
It's selling for 13k this side of the country.

Thanx in advance.
Old 12th December 2006, 08:29   #2
Senior - BHPian

Velocity is Blaupunkt's higher end series. Good stuff! A little more SPL than SQ.

Go for a ported enclosure. Most people like the output that way. If you like your bass real tight and not at all boomy, go for a sealed enclosure. If you are really tight for space in the car, go for an Infinite Baffle set-up (sub on parcel tray). IB setups are very difficult to get right, so I don't recommend that kind of install at all.

I guess you meant the JBL 75.4 amp. It should match well with this sub, whichever type of enclosure you go for. That looks like a DVC sub, so a 4-ch amp like the 75.4 will give a lot of flexibility.

Which car is this going into? And what is the amp budget? :-)
Old 12th December 2006, 10:32   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

13K for 75.4 in aizawl is pretty good Gtea. Go for it.

As far as the woofer is concerned, thhat looks iike a good woofer. Do get the medel number, then we can hunt together for the T/S paramenters, so we can decide on the box.

And like my friend hydra said, what car?
Old 12th December 2006, 10:45   #4
Team-BHP Support

Sam, Hydra,

It says VRS10 on the pic.

My guess is 1.5-2.5 cu. ft sealed.
Old 12th December 2006, 12:12   #5
Senior - BHPian

Yeah a Sealed Enclosure is the safest bet, but I noticed the sub is a DVC, so it will suit the 74.4 amp only if its Dual 2 Ohms, Dual 4 Ohms will heat the amp if wired in parallel which some installers genrally do.
Old 12th December 2006, 14:59   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
If you are really tight for space in the car, go for an Infinite Baffle set-up (sub on parcel tray). IB setups are very difficult to get right, so I don't recommend that kind of install at all.
aren't there supposed to be different subs for different setups ? is it possible to change setups from tray to boot & vice versa ??
Old 12th December 2006, 15:43   #7
Senior - BHPian

Yes, e_l. Free Air subs are designed specifically for IB setups. But they can do fine in boxes too. Usually the owners manual itself gives the box specs for those subs. I don't think there are subs built specifically for ported or sealed setups. Though I know that some subs perform their best in sealed setups (like the ID Max subs).

My sub (Kenwood KFC-WF305 12" that I use in a ported box) is actually a free air sub. But the manual gave specs for the ideal enclosure (ported), with tips on customising the size for tighter/looser (I won't say 'muddier') bass.

The VRT10 in question is a free-air sub ("surface-mounted speaker" in Blauspeak -- http://www.ciao.co.uk/Velocity_VRT10__5681047).

From what I've heard/read on the internet, free-airs usually do better in ported enclosures than sealed. But if we don't get the exact specs, I think a sealed enclosure would be the safest bet. Ported would likely need too much trial-and-error work to get right when we're going blind. Please correct me if I'm wrong, gurus.

Last edited by hydrashok : 12th December 2006 at 15:47.
Old 12th December 2006, 16:16   #8
Team-BHP Support

we can give better suggestion if someone could find the T/S specs on this woofer. we can atleast assume that the published specs as a guide if not an exact specification.
Old 13th December 2006, 13:36   #9
BHPian

A sealed box sounds good.
I've heard a VRB 10 and I was blown by the Sound.

BTW, The Woofer is going in my Matiz and if possible in a Zen before Christmas. (Planning to get a Zen for mods)

The budget for the amp is 15k.
I already have a Boss amp wire kit installed from my previous installation and will keep it until I get the Zen.

I'm still not able to find any more info on the woofer. It"s not listed on the Blaupunkt website.

Cheers to you guys.
Old 13th December 2006, 14:20   #10
Senior - BHPian

I tried a bit on the net, and I couldn't find specs either. Just a product listing, which I've mentioned in my earlier post.

Looks like your best bet is a sealed box of 1.5 to 2.5 cu ft like Navin's mentioned. The 75.4 has enough juice to drive it well in a sealed box, so you're ok there. And maybe the vrt will give you more SQ than SQL when you go sealed (which is a good thing according to me). And you will need to keep the box small in a Zen or a Matiz which is perfectly ok when you're going sealed.

Let us know how it sounds when you're done, will you?
Old 13th December 2006, 14:54   #11
Team-BHP Support

Gtea, are you satisfied with the BOSS wire? Many here have found it to be inadequate.
Old 13th December 2006, 15:10   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Gtea, are you satisfied with the BOSS wire? Many here have found it to be inadequate.
I'm not satisfied with the BOSS wires and I'm planning on getting better ones when I change my car.
They (the wires) were a Gift from my GF so had to use them (or else get vapourized).

BTW, I used to get a lot of Hiiisss from the Woofer before. Can this be due to the wires??

Anyway it serves the purpose for now.

Cheers.
Old 13th December 2006, 15:32   #13
Team-BHP Support

a-ha BOSS strikes again. Gtea given the nature of the wire you got 2 choices...have your GF hiss at you or your stereo! :-) Monster interlink and Twister might do a nicer job a well as some other cables (B&T or Sam will give you more details).
Old 13th December 2006, 15:52   #14
BHPian

I was searching around the Forum and I found that blueraven316 had 2 Audiobahn A8000T 800 RMS Mono Amps for sale.

Should I get the Audiobahn A8000T 800 RMS Mono Amp instead of the JBL 75.4 as I need to amp only the Woofer as of now?

More suggestions welcome..

Cheers
Old 13th December 2006, 16:55   #15
Senior - BHPian

Nice girlfriend, you lucky ......... :-) Her heart is definitely in the right place. I haven't heard of anyone's GF sponsoring ICE wiring yet.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks