Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2006, 01:24   #1

Blaupunkt MP35 for Wagon-R

Hi Guys,
By chance i got the chance to visit this forum, and you guys have tons of knowldge on all the stuff.
I'm in USA and coming back in India on 29-DEC. I'm planning to purchase Blaupunkt MP35 for my new Wagon R(LPG) in India.
I've two questions: -
1. Is it a wise purchase, I mean, is this model good for indian cars for decent sound and FM reception?
2. Will this model be OK for my Wagon R in terms of voltage, size , installation etc.?
Request you guys to reply asap so that I can order it and get in 5-6 days.
Thanks a Ton!!
Old 22nd December 2006, 08:01   #2
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to T-BHP, mendiratta!

1. Bringing in a Blau from outside seems to be all right, as some (ok, most) of the models here are apparently overpriced. Could you let us have the model name of the unit and the price you'll be paying? MP35 is mostly an add on to the model name. The model name is usually the name of a place, like Bahamas, Memphis, Bremen etc. We could then check the local price here and let you know if it is worth it. If the difference is just 10-15%, it may not be worth it. But in the higher-end models, the difference is upto 40%, apparently. MP35 is likely to be one of the entry-level models, right?

Blau has a pretty good service network here, and the service guys are generally friendly. They will do paid repairs on the HU if you ask nicely, in case some repair is required.

Please do check with the seller if the FM reception of the radio will be compatible with Indian conditions. There was some mention in an earlier thread about US-based FM units not being compatible with Indian (broadcast) conditions.

Sound-wise you should get good sound. And reception-wise, if the radio works, you'll get the best performance in the business, Blau units have great radios that are acknowledged to be among the best in the world (they are the people who made the first car-radio, you know).

2. Size-wise and installation-wise there should be no problem. This would be a single-DIN model, right? The Wagon-R has no problem with that. And the voltage too is not an issue.

If you can, please also post a pic of the HU. You see, the model names differ from country to country, and if the name of the MP35 is different, maybe we can recognize the HU from how it looks. There aren't any MP35s listed in Blau India's website. (Blaupunkt - Head-units - MP3 Head-units)
Old 22nd December 2006, 12:17   #3

Thanks for the reply.
yes it is Monterrey.
http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/pro...MONTERR-f.jpeg
Hey guys I'm not doing any advertisement/promotion here. If you think that I should not use URL's, I'll post the pictures and text.
This is the URL to that model, with all the specs:-
Blaupunkt Monterrey MP35 CD receiver with MP3 playback at Crutchfield.com
[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/ROHITA%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]

Regards,
Old 22nd December 2006, 22:09   #4
Team-BHP Support

I see you are considering a purchase from crutchfield. they have excellent knowledge and service. they can guide you if the radio can be tuned to even frequencies (EU freq) and not just to odd freq (US freq). I think I have seen this unit retail in mumbai (with bill and warranty) for Rs. 8-9k. For $70 (3,5K) it is a steal but dont expect free repair.
Old 22nd December 2006, 23:07   #5
Senior - BHPian

I think the Monterrey is a good deal too. Esp. with 2+1 pre-outs! If the FM issue is sorted out, it would be a really good buy.
Old 23rd December 2006, 01:14   #6

Thanks again guys.
I just had a chat with the customer support guy and he confirmed that radio will work in India. As you can see: -
Tuner Tuner Type Not Given

FM Sensitivity 17 dBf FM Presets 18 AM Presets 6 European Tuning Yes Seek/Scan Seek/Scan Radio Data System No Satellite Radio Ready No Navigation ---
as It says European tuning - Yes.
So, I just ordered 1. :-)
So thank you guys for helping me out.
Now, moving ahead - I need your advice on the other stuff too.

1. I'm pretty new to this car audio systems & all. What all I'll need along with this system for my car - tweeters/ woofers/sub-woofers etc etc.?
2. Please suggest about the brands & model(Along with price ) also for the above mentioned items - I intend to purchase them from India as I don't have much of the time left here.
3. I also want to have a back seat portable DVD player for my car. If I purchase that from US, will there be any problem to use it in my car..(voltages etc..). And If I purchaes it from india, which one will you suggest?

Thanks again.
You guys ROCK!!!!!!
Old 23rd December 2006, 09:37   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mendiratta View Post
1. I'm pretty new to this car audio systems & all. What all I'll need along with this system for my car - tweeters/ woofers/sub-woofers etc etc.?
Crutchfield has a damn good offer I couldnt resist.... The offer is still there.. Its for the Infinity Kappa 10.1 Perfect subwoofer. One of the best sounding sub woofers.. (Have not connected mine yet waiting for other components). You get 2 for 150$. But carrying 15Kgs will be a prob for most people.
Old 26th December 2006, 13:30   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mendiratta View Post
2. Please suggest about the brands & model(Along with price ) also for the above mentioned items - I intend to purchase them from India as I don't have much of the time left here.
3. I also want to have a back seat portable DVD player for my car. If I purchase that from US, will there be any problem to use it in my car..(voltages etc..). And If I purchaes it from india, which one will you suggest?
!!
1. 2. what is your budget and need?
3. any car DVD players ill work. car voltages are almost exclusively 12V DC.
Old 26th December 2006, 15:16   #9

Thanks Navin.
1.2. - My budget will be <= 10000 Rs exculding the HU, as I've already purchased Blau MP35.
My need is good quality music with long lasting system, as most of the time I'll be listening to FM; otherwise also, not very loud music (as I'm getting married shortly - Bachelor days will be over.. ).

Is my budget too less or appropriate for what I'm expecting?

One more thing, what do you think of this deal: -
Dual - 55W x 4 XM-Ready CD Deck with Detachable Faceplate - XDMR7710

Thanks,
Old 26th December 2006, 16:37   #10
Team-BHP Support

under Rs. 10K i'd spend it all on 4 speakers. Any good amp will cost you 7K + so stick to good speakers for now. Yes many HUs can drive components quite well (while amps can do the job better). I would try to fit a pair of 5" components (or coaxials if you dont have or cant make room for a tweeter) in the front and a pair of 6x9 in a MDF rear deck.
Old 8th January 2007, 01:36   #11

Thanks dear and sorry for replying so late..was recovering from my jet lag..
So, 4 speakers is gud options, I can go for tweeters but don't know exactly how useful they are for good music..Actually I'm very very ignorant in terms of car music..pardon me for that..
Pls advice about the brands also, one shop keeper told me that JBL is best..
PLs advice me specefically what is best that I can get for my money according to my budget..
Old 8th January 2007, 09:24   #12
Senior - BHPian

mendiratta, when you buy components, you get a midbass & a tweeter in the package. You don't need to buy the tweeter separately. We always recommend componnets for the front as they sound superior to co-axials. But components do cost a little more than co-axials.

JBL is a good brand, very popular here. All speakers/speaker brands produce a sound that is unique, so it would be a good idea to spend a little time listening to different brands before you finalise your purchase.

You should ideally get components in front and co-axials (of the same brand and series as the front speakers) in back. The Wagon-R does not have stock locations for speakers in back, so the rear speakers will need to be installed on a MDF plank behind the seats, or in boxes placed in the boot, or in the hatch door. Personally I'd go for a box install as you will not lose the push-back facility of the rear seats.

You will need to spend about 5K for the components in front (if you go for 6.5", which will need modding -- the Wagon R takes only 4" in front), and 5K for 6x9s in the back. If you do not wand to mod the front location at all, you will have to go for 4" co-axials -- 4" comps are close to impossible to find. Maybe you can compromise for a 5.25" component set, with minimum modding in the front.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks