Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2018, 02:42   #1
Newbie
 
ashik93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Mangalore
Posts: 7
Thanked: 25 Times
Default Android Auto on Honda Digipad 1.0

Ever since I got my City almost a month back I've been trying to find a way to use Android Auto on the Digipad infotainment system which comes on the City and WRV. I'm mainly dependent on Google Maps and Google Play Music while I drive. And it's no fun having to mount your phone when you have a decent screen in the car. This could be used by most people who have a system with only MirrorLink on it and a MirrorLink enabled phone. This method/hack enables us to mirror any app from our phone, hence it goes without saying care should be taken to only use apps which are made to be used while driving. I only use this method to get Android Auto or Google Maps on my Digipad screen.

Steps to enable this are as follows:

1. We need to buy and install the following app from the Play Store -
Full Mirror for Mirrorlink

After installing please follow instructions given by the app to give it all the permissions required to function.

Note: There are probably other apps too which enable us to draw over the MirrorLink apps, but Iím havenít used them. I found Full Mirror for MirrorLink to be perfect for this use case.

2. Install a MirrorLink compatible app like LG's MirrorDrive app from the play store. As of now I'm on version 1.2.2.5 of the app. After installing go to app permissions and deny the notification permission for this app.
LG MirrorDrive

Note: This method doesnít seem to work for me with Samsungís Car Mode app. Some people have had success with Rockscout. I recommend the LG MirrorDrive app to everyone with a non-LG phone.

3. Open the full mirror app on your phone. This brings up three floating buttons(Multitasking, Launcher & Keyboard), click on the launcher button and favourite the apps you would like to launch in the car, this brings them up in the list so you won't have to scroll much to open the apps you want on the digipad. Do favourite the LG MirrorDrive app too, more on this later.
Android Auto on Honda Digipad 1.0-screenshot_20180725181141_pixel-launcher.jpg

4. Connect the phone to the car via a USB cable and click on Phonelink on Digipad. Then click on connect for it to connect with your phone.
Android Auto on Honda Digipad 1.0-phonelink-connecting.jpeg

5. Once connected Digipad will show you the LG MirrorDrive app along with other MirrorLink compatible apps installed on your phone. Click on LG MirrorDrive and then wait for it to load.
Android Auto on Honda Digipad 1.0-mirrorlink-apps.jpeg

6. The app will then show a screen saying it's only compatible with LG phones. Do not press ok on this screen. Instead press the launcher button(floating button enabled by the Full Mirror app).
Android Auto on Honda Digipad 1.0-mirrordrive-launch.jpeg
Android Auto on Honda Digipad 1.0-mirrordrive-full-mirror-launcher.jpeg

7. Once the launcher is open, long press the LG MirrorDrive app(which you previously favorited in the launcher), till it opens in a small window at the bottom left corner. This is done so we can have the LG MirrorDrive app running in the background, without which Digipad will close the connection.
Android Auto on Honda Digipad 1.0-screenshot_20180725181221_lg-mirrordrive.jpg

8. Now press OK in the LG MirrorDrive app which is in full screen mode. This will bring up either your phone's home screen or the previous app which was open.

9. Now press the launcher button again and click on Android Auto or any other app you want to open on the Digipad.
Android Auto on Honda Digipad 1.0-whatsapp-image-20180726-8.24.04-pm-1.jpeg
Android Auto on Honda Digipad 1.0-whatsapp-image-20180726-8.24.04-pm-3.jpeg

One thing to note is that if you switch between apps it closes the screen and goes back to the MirrorLink menu. In this case just click on LG MirrorDrive and it'll take you back to where you left off. This method is buggy hence do expect a few crashes and lags. Sometimes after you click on Android Auto it takes a while for it to open, in this case just wait for a few seconds before re-opening LG MirrorDrive. This is irritating but i guess we have to put up with it for now.

I personally use this only when I need directions or while on a long drive.

The Full Mirror app listing on play store has a YouTube video to explain this too. Linking it below.


Again, this method can be used by anyone with a MirrorLink only system. Thereís another method Iíve found which can be used by anyone with an Android 4.1+ headunit to run Android Auto, but since I havenít been able to test it I canít post it here. PM if youíre interested to try it.
ashik93 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 27th July 2018, 20:15   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
smsrini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,090
Thanked: 385 Times
Default Re: Android Auto on Honda Digipad 1.0

is the digipad available as an accessory to fit into older hondas that didnt come with it ? My 2012 Brio did not come with the digipad.

thanks
Srinivas
smsrini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2018, 23:10   #3
BHPian
 
lemedico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Agra, Cambridge
Posts: 212
Thanked: 355 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
is the digipad available as an accessory to fit into older hondas that didnt come with it ? My 2012 Brio did not come with the digipad.

thanks
Srinivas
I strongly and honestly recommend an aftermarket setup rather than the Honda digipad 1.0
I, along with every other Honda digipad owner can confirm that it is a terrible and ridiculous piece of 'technology'. Given the chance and money, we would rip it out and install something aftermarket instead!

I am not sure if digipad 2.0 has made life any easier, owners please confirm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashik93 View Post
Ever since I got my City almost a month back I've been trying to find a way to use Android Auto on the Digipad infotainment system which comes on the City and WRV. I'm mainly dependent on Google Maps and Google Play Music while I drive. And it's no fun having to mount your phone when you have a decent screen in the car. This could be used by most people who have a system with only MirrorLink on it and a MirrorLink enabled phone.
this is a good hack, I want to try it on my honda city. could you state which mobile you used for this, as not all android phones are compatible with the USB link.
I have a oneplus 2 and it does not recognise it through the USB connection. I wonder if it would work how you've done it

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 29th July 2018 at 11:01. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote option (QUOTE+) while quoting and responding to multiple posts. Thanks.
lemedico is offline  
Old 27th July 2018, 23:40   #4
BHPian
 
Auto freak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 303
Thanked: 268 Times
Default

That's a good information!
Alternatively to be able to use Android Auto while connected to phone, try using the app Headunit Reloaded which is available on playstore.

It emulates the headunit as a host device for Android auto. Works well with the aftermarket Android headunit in my Rapid.
Attached Thumbnails
Android Auto on Honda Digipad 1.0-1532715025211.jpg  

Auto freak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2018, 00:01   #5
Newbie
 
ashik93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Mangalore
Posts: 7
Thanked: 25 Times
Default Re: Android Auto on Honda Digipad 1.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemedico View Post
this is a good hack, I want to try it on my honda city. could you state which mobile you used for this, as not all android phones are compatible with the USB link.
I have a oneplus 2 and it does not recognise it through the USB connection. I wonder if it would work how you've done it
I've used my Galaxy S8 for this guide. As mentioned in the post only MirrorLink certified phones and apps work in this method and unfortunately none of the ONEPLUS phones are MirrorLink certified. I haven't come across a way to bypass this requirement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto freak View Post
That's a good information!
Alternatively to be able to use Android Auto while connected to phone, try using the app Headunit Reloaded which is available on playstore.

It emulates the headunit as a host device for Android auto. Works well with the aftermarket Android headunit in my Rapid.
Yes this is the other app I was talking about in the end of the post and it's a much better way to enable Android Auto. Unfortunately digipad runs on Android 2.2/2.3 and doesn't support the Headunit Reloaded app since it requires Android 4.1+. This was the 1st method that I had tried in my City.

There is another method where we can use an Android HDMI dongle connected to the HDMI port in the City and using an app "Phonelink" which enables us to use the touch screen to control the HDMI dongle's output over Bluetooth. I intend to try this method next, but haven't been able to find the right version of the app yet.
ashik93 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2018, 17:55   #6
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 9
Thanked: 11 Times
Default Re: Android Auto on Honda Digipad 1.0

Hi,
Is this possible for a Ford Ecosport with the new 9 inch touch screen. As i have been trying to figure out how to get android auto on this massive screen, as the in built GPS is completely useless. If any suggestions I am open to it. Thanks
Nitshi is offline  
Old 28th July 2018, 23:34   #7
Newbie
 
ashik93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Mangalore
Posts: 7
Thanked: 25 Times
Default Re: Android Auto on Honda Digipad 1.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitshi View Post
Hi,
Is this possible for a Ford Ecosport with the new 9 inch touch screen. As i have been trying to figure out how to get android auto on this massive screen, as the in built GPS is completely useless. If any suggestions I am open to it. Thanks
Please correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think the 9 inch system on the EcoSport supports MirrorLink, in which case this method will not work.
ashik93 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2018, 13:29   #8
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 9
Thanked: 11 Times
Default Re: Android Auto on Honda Digipad 1.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashik93 View Post
Please correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think the 9 inch system on the EcoSport supports MirrorLink, in which case this method will not work.
Yes it does not support mirror link. But i wish there is a way around it. If anyone has any suggestions I am open to try it out.
Nitshi is offline  
Old 10th August 2018, 10:32   #9
BHPian
 
francis_vaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 182
Thanked: 482 Times
Default Re: Android Auto on Honda Digipad 1.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitshi View Post
Yes it does not support mirror link. But i wish there is a way around it. If anyone has any suggestions I am open to try it out.
Off topic; but the SYNC3 system on FORD supports Android Auto, you do not need to use anything else. Just plug in your android phone with the AA app installed and you should see Android Auto on the screen.
francis_vaz is offline  
Old 11th August 2018, 18:38   #10
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 9
Thanked: 11 Times
Default Re: Android Auto on Honda Digipad 1.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by francis_vaz View Post
Off topic; but the SYNC3 system on FORD supports Android Auto, you do not need to use anything else. Just plug in your android phone with the AA app installed and you should see Android Auto on the screen.
Thanks, I wish it had SYNC 3 but they now only do it on the Titanium + models and above. They removed it since April, 2018, and now Titanium and below models get the new 9 inch screen (don't know what it is called, I think fly screen).
Nitshi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2018, 10:17   #11
Newbie
 
ashik93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Mangalore
Posts: 7
Thanked: 25 Times
Default Re: Android Auto on Honda Digipad 1.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashik93 View Post
There is another method where we can use an Android HDMI dongle connected to the HDMI port in the City and using an app "Phonelink" which enables us to use the touch screen to control the HDMI dongle's output over Bluetooth. I intend to try this method next, but haven't been able to find the right version of the app yet.
Update : I was wrong about phonelink. Unfortunately it's a separate feature that comes on the digipad systems in Thailand/Malaysia etc, not at all related to MirrorLink. Hence I've had to rule that method out.
ashik93 is offline  
Old 27th September 2020, 17:09   #12
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Delhi
Posts: 3
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Android Auto on Honda Digipad 1.0

Hi,

I have a Samsung S20 phone, and found out that Samsung has removed support from MirrorLink a few months ago. I have a Honda City 2018 model with Digipad 1.0.

Wanted to know if there is any way to mirror my phone screen so that I can use Google Maps on the digipad? I installed the old version of Google Maps on the digipad but its a pain to manually type locations on that, so it would be much more convenient if I can just mirror the phone screen using USB/HDMI. Otherwise the only alternative I see is to get a phone holder

Any help would be much appreciated.
WaroonC is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks