Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2018, 22:39   #1
BHPian

Ford EcoSport SYNC 3 system completely dead

Hello fellow BHPians,

I am posting to the forum after quite some time and since last time our family has invited a new member. A Ford EcoSport Titanium (called affectionately Brutus). It is now three months old and got its first problem.

About a week or so ago while my dad was behind the wheel he put the car in reverse and instead of the reversing camera showing up on the Display of the Sync 3 system the LCD just got filled with lines following by completely going black and then the system just went dead. It hasn't worked since. Also the USB ports have lost power aswell.

Today visited the Service Centre for the Vehicle's first service and they couldn't figure out the issue and told me to bring the car back tomorrow.

Any idea as to what might have gone wrong. Me being the audiophile I am, I am really not enjoying this situation and with a long road trip coming up I would really want it to get fixed ASAP. Any suggestions?

Note: Dear Mods, I would completely appreciate if you feel like this post belongs to another thread and you merge it there. Thank You.
thatfastdude19 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2018, 23:10   #2
BHPian

re: Ford EcoSport SYNC 3 system completely dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatfastdude19 View Post
Any idea as to what might have gone wrong.
Since you have taken your vehicle to the service centre, may I assume that they have checked the usual suspects like the fuses and plugged it to their laptop and checked for error codes? Do you know if any errors cropped up in the APIM module? Do you have a OBD scanner?

I checked on Google and there seems to be quite a few instances of the Sync 3 screen going blank on other Ford models abroad. However, unlike you, most of them have reported this as a temporary issue and the system coming back on after a while without doing anything. There seems to be a way of resetting the system. You have to press and hold the power button and then press the fwd button >>. But since yours is completely dead, I doubt if this will work.

Another thing you could try is to disconnect the negative terminal of the battery and leave it for an hour or so. Then reconnect and see if the system comes on. If it comes on, perform the reset procedure by pressing the buttons I told you above. It seems a reset prevents this issue from cropping up again.
SCORPION is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th September 2018, 23:53   #3
BHPian

re: Ford EcoSport SYNC 3 system completely dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORPION View Post
Since you have taken your vehicle to the service centre, may I assume that they have checked the usual suspects like the fuses and plugged it to their laptop and checked for error codes? Do you know if any errors cropped up in the APIM module? Do you have a OBD scanner?

I checked on Google and there seems to be quite a few instances of the Sync 3 screen going blank on other Ford models abroad. However, unlike you, most of them have reported this as a temporary issue and the system coming back on after a while without doing anything. There seems to be a way of resetting the system. You have to press and hold the power button and then press the fwd button >>. But since yours is completely dead, I doubt if this will work.

Another thing you could try is to disconnect the negative terminal of the battery and leave it for an hour or so. Then reconnect and see if the system comes on. If it comes on, perform the reset procedure by pressing the buttons I told you above. It seems a reset prevents this issue from cropping up again.
Thanks for the reply Scorpion,

Yes the Service Centre did check all the Fuses and also removed the negative terminal. Also I don't think resetting the system would be of any help as the system seems to be completely dead.

As far as the error codes go the service centre couldn't check the car for that today as their technician wasn't there and hence they have called me to come back tomorrow with the vehicle.
thatfastdude19 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2018, 09:54   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Ford EcoSport SYNC 3 system completely dead

Should be a straight-forward warranty replacement as your car is new. Tell the dealer not to waste anytime and call for a replacement right away.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2018, 11:52   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Ford is just utterly pathetic when it comes to modern electronics. To show the world how bad they are at IT they have equipped their cars with Sync 3. Until recently nobody at Ford was able to update the system and or its maps. That is fixed now, took them almost half a year. The Sync and map in our little Ford were just updated last week and our car was the very first this dealer had ever done.

The internet is awash with Ford owners struggling with this silly Sync system.

In the mean time you can try this:

Put the ignition on. If this happens again, try Select radio > Hold the power button + the right-seek button at the same time for up to 5 seconds.

It essentially just reboots the module controlling the Sync system.

Good luck

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th October 2018, 20:22   #6
BHPian

Thank you everyone on the community who has provided their support.

The update is that the system has been completely replaced by the FASS under warranty. The new system came in pretty quick and was replaced. The job has been done professionally and with this being my first experience with an issue at Ford I can't lie to say that I wasn't impressed. Finally got back my Brutus and the rides are as enjoyable as ever.

Thank you
thatfastdude19 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th September 2023, 17:25   #7

GUYS
I am owner of Ford Ecosport 2019 Model which comes with 1-litre turbocharged engine and Sync 3 system that was present on top model in India. The issue that I am facing is that my touchscreen is showing the light but my system is not working. The Reverse Camera and USB are a tough thing for me to access. Would request Team-BHPians to please provide me a solution on how can get it fixed? Visited nearby service centre and they said that Module has malfunctioned and needs replacement. Should I go for Module replacement if that works for my audio system? Please suggest me.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford EcoSport SYNC 3 system completely dead-img_20230928_115138.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks