Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2018, 18:00   #1
Team-BHP Support

Review: Anker Roav Bluetooth Receiver

• Happy with your previous gen stereo?
  • Your old Ipod Classic has died on you?
  • Your head unit lacks Bluetooth!
  • Your Aux-in port is gathering dust?

This nifty solution might be ideal for you. My trusty RDS-350 in my Jetta is fine, however my ipod battery died and cannot be replaced. I led a happy existence between the RDS system for music and the Jabra Bluetooth receiver for my phone. Since then, my car has been pretty quiet except for the diesel drone. All the music was bursting to get out of my phone. I did try a Bose portable player for long journeys in the interim but it is clumsy and difficult to mute and it flip flops on the back seat.

My current situation means that I am conserving capital and avoiding stuff like a new head unit. Tried a third party Apple firewire + Aux-In but it did not work as it is "not approved".

By chance I came across this in the UK.

Review: Anker Roav Bluetooth Receiver-img_3665.jpg Review: Anker Roav Bluetooth Receiver-img_3667.jpg

What is it?

This little button is a Bluetooth receiver which streams from your phone into your Aux-In Port

What do you get?

Apart from the button, you get a dual cable with a USB Male + Aux -In male terminals on one side to plug into the car. On the other end are a mini USB + Aux-In Male to plug into the Button.

Review: Anker Roav Bluetooth Receiver-img_3669.jpg

Oh and a square of double sided tape to stick the button also.

Does it work?

It sure does, stick 'em in, it starts seeking a mate to pair up with, once connected, rub her button and she's singing!
The phone pairs automatically after the initial waiting, however, if you stall your car or restart, the phone needs to go through the process again.
Set your head unit in Aux mode and you are motoring. Click the button to accept calls or to pause. Click twice to call the last dialled number. Not tried whether it interfaces with Siri yet.

Does it sound good?

Not like a CD but as good as an iPod!
Not tried the phone as yet - will edit once I have tried it

What's bad about it!

More wires - I have one for the dash cam, phone charge and now this!

Cable Disruption - Oh! the USB port and the Aux-In needs to be co-located unless you split the cable. In my case, the dashcam operates from the 12V source, I have moved it to the rear seat socket which is unsightly and added the USB adapter to the front 12V socket. I will look for a 12V female to USB male cable and move it back to the front

Review: Anker Roav Bluetooth Receiver-img_3671.jpg

Review: Anker Roav Bluetooth Receiver-img_3673.jpg

Ergonomics - I need to use the phone instead of the headunit as the interface, that will mean getting a phone holder instead of fiddling in traffic.

Verdict - Not a smooth solution but for 15 pounds, it's worth it as it solves the problem but fastidious OCD wirephobic folks might not take to it

Last edited by Vid6639 : 6th October 2018 at 18:46.
ajmat is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th October 2018, 13:54   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Review: Anker Roav Bluetooth Receiver

Mod note: Thread moved to the In-car entertainment section. Thanks for sharing.
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2018, 14:26   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

I had asked my brother to buy something similar for him to play music from his phone (Google Music) on his 2012 i20 Magna, which doesn't have Bluetooth.

Unfortunately, the one thing he found was that although it all works fine when he starts from home, if he's stopped his car at a signal and then starts the car, the momentary cut in power to the 12V socket causes the BT connection to be lost, and reconnection doesn't happen.

Have you experienced anything like this? Any thoughts on how to avoid it as well? I forgot the brand he has, but it looks similar, and was a reputed brand with good 4-5 star reviews on Amazon.
arunphilip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2018, 14:52   #4
Senior - BHPian

This is a good option if you don't mind the wires. And you have an AUX port.

Similar ones are available on AliExpress, some with additional features.

An example is this one below with play/pause, next/previous track and volume buttons. Plus this comes with a 12v adapter with an USB port. Costs under $10.

Review: Anker Roav Bluetooth Receiver-4036898802104897058.jpg

1PC Bluetooth 4.0 Wireless Music Receiver 3.5mm Adapter Handsfree Car AUX Speaker Car Electronics Gadgets Accessories
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/iSj96a3

I have used one such unit, then shifted to an FM transmitter that got rid of the wires while providing the same functionality. For cars without the aux port, this is the only option.

None of these are for the audiophile, but they do provide basic music output and handsfree phone functionality in any car.

@ajmat, why not listen to music from the streaming apps? Whatever your phone plays can be output through this.

Last edited by samaspire : 6th October 2018 at 14:55.
samaspire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2018, 15:20   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post

I have used one such unit, then shifted to an FM transmitter that got rid of the wires while providing the same functionality. For cars without the aux port, this is the only option.

None of these are for the audiophile, but they do provide basic music output and handsfree phone functionality in any car.

@ajmat, why not listen to music from the streaming apps? Whatever your phone plays can be output through this.
FM transmission quality is not as good IMHO. The only way to make my phone stream through the AUX-IN was via bluetooth, hence this option.
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2018, 18:20   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

I have an FM transmitter picked up from amazon.in and it is working out fine. I don't have AUX-IN 3.5mm jack so I had to try FM transmitter. Was very skeptical but turned out to pretty good (used it in multiple cars), bought a 2nd one for another car.

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's no longer in stock but I am sure there are plenty of similar products.

PS: my sound quality benchmark is pretty basic and I mostly stream youtube songs.
androdev is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 7th October 2018, 00:32   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

I used this on my wife's i10, costs a pittance in Amazon, but I picked it for about 200 more from Ali a long time back.
The best bit is the rechargeable battery, which lasts for 3-4 days.

Rewy BT-453 Universal 3.5mm Jack Bluetooth V4.1 Hands Free Music Audio Receiver Adapter AUX Kit With Microphone For Handsfree Calling Compatible With All Android, Windows And IOS Devices {Random Colour} https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07FW5SP9B/..._NzqUBbFEF8XQY
mayankk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th October 2018, 11:51   #8
BHPian

This product seems quite messy compared to what Xiaomi has to offer : https://techrvw.com/2018/06/03/revie...for-carowners/

Mobile charger dubs into Bluetooth receiver and FM transmitter avoiding all the clutter of wires.
Thilak29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2018, 13:50   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

I have always wondered, if its only one person in the car, why bother with so many things when the same job can be done by a humble aux cable?
Dry Ice is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2018, 23:15   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
I have always wondered, if its only one person in the car, why bother with so many things when the same job can be done by a humble aux cable?
I had bought an Aux cable but it was incompatible with my Apple phone
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2018, 23:57   #11
BANNED

I guess I know the item that can solve all such problems, it is built well, has decent quality, looks good, works well and finally - can be charged and used; and one full charging lasts over 5 hours of continuous audio and telephone streaming. Can be charged on the move and

Has been working flawlessly for me for around last one year.

Here is the item I bought from Aliexpress for my Polo comfortline and it simply works like magic. Ugreen bluetooth audio receiver:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ugre...ceBeautifyAB=0
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Anker Roav Bluetooth Receiver-htb1fp8.vqcwbunjy0faq6xulxxat.jpg  

Last edited by VKumar : 8th October 2018 at 00:02.
VKumar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th March 2019, 13:15   #12
BHPian

Re: Review: Anker Roav Bluetooth Receiver

There is a much better offering from Anker which solves all connectivity problems and does so in the absence of any wires.

I bought one of these: https://goroav.com/products/roav-smartcharge-f0

Initial impressions are highly positive.

Last edited by Thilak29 : 8th March 2019 at 13:18.
Old 13th March 2019, 16:56   #13
BHPian

Re: Review: Anker Roav Bluetooth Receiver

I bought one of these when I was in Swiss.

http://www.stereoboomm.be/stereoboomm-150/

Been using it in my car paired with my iPhone and via aux to a 10 year old Pioneer headset. Best thing is it retains charges for days together and I have it placed in the glovebox which also has the aux cable coming from the rear of the headunit. So in essence, there are no wires visible. But off late I'm listening music only through USB since it offers better quality than aux.

Now I've connected this receiver to my 20 year old Sony HiFi component system's MD input via a 3.5mm to RCA cable. I now stream music from my iPhone to this music system and the house rocks!

I also bought this as my TV did not have BT. Connected this in the TV's headphone and paired it with a BT earphone and I was good for watching a movie without disturbing others.

https://www.digitec.ch/en/s1/product...apters-3452148

This one works both as a transmitter and receiver. The first one mentioned is only a receiver.
emkay.india is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks