Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2007, 19:09   #1

ICE Setup for my Accent, seeking advice (or approval?!)

Wishing you all a very Happy New Year!

I am replacing the existing ICE in my Accent, would like to run it by you before I close the deal:
HU: Pioneer DEH4850 (for 8,950)
FS: JBL GTO527 (for 3,250) or JBL CS2104 (for 1,800) Will going with the later option be wiser? (will certainly be cheaper)
RS: JBL GTO637 (for 3.950)
All with b/w.

Secondly, I am also considering the Sony CDX-GT350S HU as it has Aux-in feature and I would really like to connect my MP3 player to HU. Will it be advisable over the above Pioneer HU?

I also plan to add Amp and Subwoofer at later date, should the above configuration sffice for this purpose?

I have got some basic idea going through the posts in this section but not very clear when it comes to these specific configurations, seeking your help to make decision.

Also, should there be any extra care taken while installing the units?

thanks in advance!
Old 6th January 2007, 19:27   #2
Team-BHP Support

Hi pathfinder,

What's your budget for the whole ICE setup?

HU pioneer 4850 is good but i see you plan to add a sub and amp later. In that case a better choice would be the pioneer 6850 since it has 3 preouts. That way later you can connect all your speakers as well as a sub to amps. The 6850 also has a AUX in for your mp3 player. It costs around Rs.12K.

The newer accents take 6" speakers in the front. The 527 will also fit in straight. 2104 will be too small since they are 4". If your budget permits the best option is the GTO607 components, i think these cost Rs.5,500.

The GTO637 for the rears are perfect since you plan to add a sub and amp later.

To summarize:
HU: pioneer 6850 Rs.12K
FS: GTO607 compos Rs.5,500
RS: GTO637 Rs. 4K

Approx 20K with this setup.
Old 6th January 2007, 19:40   #3
BANNED

Congrats for finding your path in here!!

Your ICE selection is good. You haven't mentioned the maximum budget you wish to spend here! Yes, to clear any doubts, we always like to suggest something higher than the given budget. And unfortunately, we can't find a budget here.

Quote:
FS: JBL GTO527 (for 3,250) or JBL CS2104 (for 1,800) Will going with the later option be wiser? (will certainly be cheaper)
RS: JBL GTO637 (for 3.950)
All with b/w.
As you should be knowing already, the fronts are more important in an audio setup than the rears. In your config, I think the front speakers can be improved a bit. You can consider getting component speakers for your front soundstage to be perfect. There're some good sets made by JBL. Look out for GTO607 and 507. It is a good VFM choice.
Later on, when you add the Sub+Amp etc.. You can get a 4 channel amp to run the components and sub from it. So, consider components for the front than going co-axial way!!!

Rear speaker choice is perfect.
Unless!! If you're going to get the sub+amp very soon, then you can avoid the 6X9s (ovals) and just buy 6.5" co-axials. The sub will produce enough lows and an oval speakers is not really necessary there. This can save some bucks too.

If you have an MP3 player and plan to put it in use, then it's a wise choice to go for a HU with front aux in. Count that in!!
But Sony!! Their HU build quality has detoriated a lot. I've seen many HUs having problems and some working fine. Pioneer quality is quiet good nowadays.
Sony is good VFM though with B&W!! Just close your hands and pray for good!!
Old 6th January 2007, 19:56   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathfinder View Post
u sure about this...cause i got the 6850 for that price.

since your planning on a sub in the futer get a HHU with 3 preouts as already mentioned.it also will allow you to connect your mp3 player to it.

for the front definitly go for components.rear speakers are fine if your defintle getting a sub.

Rev
Old 6th January 2007, 20:07   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by revtech View Post
u sure about this...cause i got the 6850 for that price.
Rev
That's without any Bill nor Warranty!! The smart way is to go for B&W!!!
Old 6th January 2007, 20:22   #6
BHPian

hi Pathfinder,

As a music lover. I seriously suggest that you at least go and hear component speakers ..before you take teh plunge and buy your stuff... Compos sound totoally different that 6x9 or 4 inch co axials... trust me..ive been down the 6x9 and co axial road...... Component speakers also can be bought quite reasonalbly ..I think JBL makes decently priced Components...Sam will be better to guide you there so as to teh model numbers and prices....
Old 6th January 2007, 20:42   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey pathfinder,

Your selection of speakers is pretty decent. It will sound good. Front speakers are very important.

As everyone says, IF your budget permits, go for a set of components in the front, you wont be sorry. Do it if only if you can afford it.
The New CS2165C components are quite affordable at 4990/- and you can combine it with CS2165 coaxials which are 2,990/-

Between the Pio and the Sony HU, personally I'd take the pio. However Sony is not bad and you have B&W. If the front aux is most important to you, then go for the sony.
Old 6th January 2007, 23:14   #8
Team-BHP Support

The CS series components are only a bit more than GTO series coaxials and Sam has recommended a good combo above.

Seeing you only have 9-10 posts, I dont know if you know (most of us do) that the company Sam works for represents JBL in India. This however has no bearing on Sam or JBL. Sam in an audiophile at heart and JBL makes good products. I sorely miss my JBL home woofers (my wife forced me to get rid of them).
Old 6th January 2007, 23:29   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes. I think you would be better off with components in the front. Do let us know what you choose and how it turns out.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 6th January 2007 at 23:32.
Old 7th January 2007, 19:27   #10

Thanks all for your input.. hope I don't hurt others here but I was particularly excited to see Sam 'JBL' Kapasi's feedback, frankly I thought that may be my requirement was too basic to expect feedback from Sam but how wrong was I!

My budget at present (15-16K) does not allow me go for comp speakers. Also, I was told by the shopkeeper that even the Pio4850 HU has Aux-in at the back which can be 'brought' to front using connecting wire. Would this work? If not then may be I will be forced to go with the Sony HU.

Will let you know how things shape up in next few days.. I sure am very excited!
Old 7th January 2007, 20:45   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, the 4850, if it has an aux in, in the back, then it's fine, all you need to do is plug in a wire and then you can plug any MP3 player you like. Should be OK.

Pathfinder, we are all here for the love of audio. No system is big or small. You need help, come back for anything.

P.S. I'm not exactly sure how to react to your kind statement, but I'm a little embarassed. Not many people can do that. It's my pleasure and you are welcome.
Old 7th January 2007, 23:02   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks all for your input.. hope I don't hurt others here but I was particularly excited to see Sam 'JBL' Kapasi's feedback, frankly I thought that may be my requirement was too basic to expect feedback from Sam but how wrong was I!
.................................................. .....Will let you know how things shape up in next few days.. I sure am very excited!
The Pioneer 4850 does not have a regular aux-in. Your dealer may be talking about the IP-BUS connection behind the HU that can act as a aux-in. Make sure he has this cable to connect your mp3 player to the IP-BUS socket behind the pioneer 4850 and also ask him the price as it may cost anywhere between 600-1500 .
Old 8th January 2007, 10:25   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My budget at present (15-16K) does not allow me go for comp speakers.
At 15K I'd spend half on the HU and half on speakers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks