Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2007, 22:01   #1
BANNED

Kenwood AMP/ICE advice plz plz

hi guys,

I have been a ardent reader(just a mute reader) of this forum for 2 months now and must say u guys are a universe of knowledge.I have a brand new black Swift Vxi and am looking for an ICE in 27K budget. Good SQ as i listen on low/sober volume.

My final config on this forum was : HU-6850, JBL 607c, JBL 937 in tray, pioneer amp.

I went to a shop and he suggested me :

HU- kenwood 5505 - 5500/- grey
Front speakers: Hertz Energy 9100/-
Sub: Pioneer 306c- 3000/-

Amp: Kenwood 600w 4-ch 7500/- grey
( i think KAC-8403 )
Sealed Enclosure 1400/-

Audison RCA cables and all totalling to 28.5 K. Guys wat do u think of his config and rates ? Plz plz help me,I did listen to this setup with a diff amp in his car. he did'nt demo the jbl's but said they were to shrill compared to Hertz. wat do u suggest ?
Old 8th January 2007, 23:10   #2
Senior - BHPian

cuteavaya, welcome to TBHP!

I'm not sure about the other rates, but the price he quoted for the front speakers is correct -- Hertz ESK165 2 way components.

You should insist on getting a demo of the JBLs before you decide. The JBLs sound a little more trebley (more bright) than most other brands. If you like your music that way, you may like the sound of the JBLs.

If you're OK with a front + sub system (with no rear fill), your config looks fine.

I'm personally a bit leery of getting grey stuff -- you need to be sure you are getting genuine stuff.

If you do like a bit of rear fill (speakers in the rear) maybe you can try Hertz Dieci series speakers -- DSK165s in front and DCX165s in back. The total should be within 10-11K.
But the Energys (the ones you have mentioned) sound way better than the Diecies. Especially when amped, they really make music come alive. I have listened to ESKs in an Swift (nikkibike's swift) and they sounded just great -- even without an amp. You can later get Hertz ECX165s to round off your system (if you need rear fill at all).

As it is, you look OK -- your 28K budget is well allocated. If you are planning to stretch it a little, I would suggest looking at a better sub. The Pio does get loud and boomy, but is not that musical. But then again, if you are not looking for much detail in Bass, you will be quite happy with the Pio.
Old 8th January 2007, 23:33   #3
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
cuteavaya, welcome to TBHP!

I'm not sure about the other rates, but the price he quoted for the front speakers is correct -- Hertz ESK165 2 way components.

You should insist on getting a demo of the JBLs before you decide. The JBLs sound a little more trebley (more bright) than most other brands. If you like your music that way, you may like the sound of the JBLs.

If you're OK with a front + sub system (with no rear fill), your config looks fine.

I'm personally a bit leery of getting grey stuff -- you need to be sure you are getting genuine stuff.

If you do like a bit of rear fill (speakers in the rear) maybe you can try Hertz Dieci series speakers -- DSK165s in front and DCX165s in back. The total should be within 10-11K.
But the Energys (the ones you have mentioned) sound way better than the Diecies. Especially when amped, they really make music come alive. I have listened to ESKs in an Swift (nikkibike's swift) and they sounded just great -- even without an amp. You can later get Hertz ECX165s to round off your system (if you need rear fill at all).

As it is, you look OK -- your 28K budget is well allocated. If you are planning to stretch it a little, I would suggest looking at a better sub. The Pio does get loud and boomy, but is not that musical. But then again, if you are not looking for much detail in Bass, you will be quite happy with the Pio.

thx so much man for the quick reply. i will try and listen to jbl but i guess now i am confident of Hertz. He TOO said that Pioneer 306c woofer was not good enough but he said all good woofers require a 2 ohm amp and that would mean an amp worth 20 k atleast something like an alpine or jbl . Any other suggestions for amp + Sub if i may extend my budget to say 30-32 K.
Old 8th January 2007, 23:59   #4
BANNED

thx so much for the reply man. i guess i will go with Hertz then. wat abt the Kenwood HU ? he said that below 8-9 K all HU's were same and i should buy a better amp with that money. Also he did mention pioneer 306c to be lame but said better subs like JBL needed 2 ohms and amps of 2 ohm start at 15k something....:(
Old 9th January 2007, 10:42   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuteavaya View Post
thx so much for the reply man. i guess i will go with Hertz then. wat abt the Kenwood HU ? he said that below 8-9 K all HU's were same and i should buy a better amp with that money. Also he did mention pioneer 306c to be lame but said better subs like JBL needed 2 ohms and amps of 2 ohm start at 15k something....:(
That's all crap. Sorry lol.

AMPS are not 2 ohms or 4 ohms, speakers/subs are. The cheapest subwoofer amplifier from JBL is for 9990 and sufficient to drive most good woofers.

The Pioneer woofer is not bad.

Kenwood head units are pretty good say some. Many would recommend them over Pioneer.
Old 9th January 2007, 11:49   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have a brand new black Swift Vxi and am looking for an ICE in 27K budget. Good SQ as i listen on low/sober volume.
My final config on this forum was : HU-6850, JBL 607c, JBL 937 in tray, pioneer amp.
HU- kenwood 5505 - 5500/- grey
Front speakers: Hertz Energy 9100/-
Sub: Pioneer 306c- 3000/-
Amp: Kenwood 600w 4-ch 7500/- grey
( i think KAC-8403 )
Sealed Enclosure 1400/-
Audison RCA cables and all totalling to 28.5 K.

he did'nt demo the jbl's but said they were to shrill compared to Hertz. wat do u suggest ?
1. Why not listen to JBL and Hertz and maybe to a few other brands as well and let YUOR ears decide instead of the dealer's?

2. I am a bit confused do you alread have "HU-6850, JBL 607c, JBL 937 in tray, pioneer amp" or are you comparing this combo to the Kenwood-Hertz-Pio Sub combo?
Old 9th January 2007, 15:41   #7
Senior - BHPian

the price of the kenwood looks good as i was quoted 7.5 for a puny 30x4 KAC6403 amp buy a bangy dealer.

do browse around. Stay with your original choice or add a co-ax to that Hertz setup. Check out if you can source a decent Pio amp for that price (6150 or 6100)

you want a sub? check other tbhpians swift ice setup.

and visit another ICE installer
Old 9th January 2007, 21:49   #8
BANNED

thx navin sir, well NO i do not have any ICE right now, the JBL was my final choice but the dealer suggested otherwise. Any good installer in Delhi ?..i know about Driven for one.

can anyone tell me is pioneer6850 better than kenwood 7-8K ones as per performance is concerned. also any good sub for Swift in 5-6k budget keeping SQ in mind.
Old 10th January 2007, 06:48   #9
BANNED

For the Sub, you can try JBL CS1204 or GT4, Alpine type E 12" and Blaupunkt GT series.

A better option for you would be Hertz ES300. It starts near 8k.
Old 10th January 2007, 11:52   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
thx navin sir, well NO i do not have any ICE right now, the JBL was my final choice but the dealer suggested otherwise.

can anyone tell me is pioneer6850 better than kenwood 7-8K ones as per performance is concerned. also any good sub for Swift in 5-6k budget keeping SQ in mind.
1. YOU should decide what you like not your dealer. My dealer knows me well enough to only take instructions not offer advice.

2. a 12" sub in a swift is a tight fit. You cna fit a JBL tube (6.5K) in though. Less than that a PIo 306C (about 3k) in a custom box (about 1K) is your best bet. Remeber you'll need an amp to drive any sub.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks