Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2007, 11:54   #1

Skoda Laura's stock ICE

Hello Sam, Navin & all audio experts.

I would like to know about the ICE system that come as a stock with Skoda Laura. Recently i was travelling in my friend's Laura and was very impressed with the ICE system. The sound quality was amazing.. just mindblowing. I looked around for the system's brand but nothing was mentioned. Each of the doors had a tweeter, midrange and woofer (all components, i believe) and amazingly it was all driven by the head unit, as it seemed so to me as i didn't find an amp.

I would like to set up my ICE to give me that kind of quality on my Accent GLS. Pls do give suggestion on how to go ahead with it.

Mods, I have search the site for similar kind of thread but couldn't find it. If similar thread is available then pls do delete this thread and would appreciate if could provide me with the link.

Thanks in Advance
Old 12th January 2007, 12:36   #2
Team-BHP Support

Dont know about the Laura but you can do the same to your accent. It would involve some degree of modification to your door panels and a budget that is about 1L. Somethng like this....
HU: 16K
Front components on new door panels: 17K
Rear fill: 6K
Subwoofers: 22K
Amps: 22K
Damping: 10K front doors, roof and trunk.
Wires and install: 7K
Old 12th January 2007, 13:08   #3
Senior - BHPian

at 17k you will get decent 3 way compos

or frm 5k up 2 way compos

Check for installs in Baleno/Accents for 2 way compo install and quicksilver's city & hydrahok's palio for 3 way install
Old 12th January 2007, 13:15   #4
BHPian

This is OT but i have heard the same in my friend's laura and must say it sounds really good with the 3 way speaker setup on all doors. I like the bass frequuency response from the doors and they sound much better than the rear sub woofer set up that is normally preferred.Maybe they wont sound the same in an accent with a 3 way component setup. Does anybody know the make of these speakers/ head unit?

Last edited by muni : 12th January 2007 at 13:16.
Old 12th January 2007, 13:19   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazykul View Post
Each of the doors had a tweeter, midrange and woofer (all components, i believe) and amazingly it was all driven by the head unit, as it seemed so to me as i didn't find an amp.
I would like to set up my ICE to give me that kind of quality on my Accent GLS. Pls do give suggestion on how to go ahead with it.
Mods, I have search the site for similar kind of thread but couldn't find it. If similar thread is available then pls do delete this thread and would appreciate if could provide me with the link.
A Laura comes standard with 3-ways ? And no Amp? Are you sure your friend hasn't done a real stealth install?

My 3-way install in a Palio (shamelss self-promotion ): http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-en...or-panels.html

LBM's 3-way thread (Swift install): http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-en...way%2C+iridium

KB's thread (looong read, but he ultimately ended up with 3-ways in his Accent): http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-en...way%2C+iridium

Could you post some pics of the Laura's doors? I'm curious.
Old 12th January 2007, 14:09   #6
Team-BHP Support

Yeah it is a 3-way on all the 4 doors. they Mention in the brochure as 12 speaker system.
The sound is very good.

Theres no sub like the sonata which has a sub on the rear tray.
Old 12th January 2007, 14:24   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Theres no sub like the sonata which has a sub on the rear tray.
You mean to say The Sonata comes stock with a sub ???
Old 12th January 2007, 14:36   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Yeah it is a 3-way on all the 4 doors. they Mention in the brochure as 12 speaker system. The sound is very good.
Wow! That's not bad at all! Especially as you have stock locations if you want to do a crazy-expensive 3-way upgrade on all 4 doors! This also means there must be a BIG amp or a coupla amps hidden away someplace!
Old 12th January 2007, 15:32   #9

@Navin - I already have an Ice Setup- HU - Pioneer with 4 way JBL(coz of SAM) Amp - bridged to power all Speakers(Subwoofer & coaxials). The sound quality of my system is good but couldn't be compared with tht of Laura. In Laura even if u hear for say 5-6 hrs at a stretch, u won't get a headache. The bass is powerful but not big like what comes with a Sub and it's crystal clear.

@Hydrashok -

Its completely stock.

if it was mine i wouldn't touch it at all cost, its heavenly - thats how sound should be reproduced i feel.

I looked everywhere except inside the dash, for the amp but couldn't find it. Might be the head unit is driving it or the amp is somewhere thr nearby.

Saw ur ICE Upgrade, looks very good.

Have a look at this link for Laura LauraEquipment
Old 12th January 2007, 16:09   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
@Navin - I already have an Ice Setup- HU - Pioneer with 4 way JBL(coz of SAM) Amp - bridged to power all Speakers(Subwoofer & coaxials).

I looked everywhere except inside the dash, for the amp but couldn't find it. Might be the head unit is driving it or the amp is somewhere thr nearby.
I now assume you have a Pio HU, 4 JBL coaxil speakers, JBL amp and a subwoofer. The JBL amp is probably driving your sub and front speakers.

a) You are compariing coaxials to a 3 way component set up
b) JBL speakers are known to be forward (some people call it bright). This very brightness can become fatiguing over long sessions and hence the "headache".
c) The Skoda door panels are twice as stiff and beter damped as most Korean or Jap car. Just feel the wway the Laura door closes. I have an Octavia and my mom has a Honda City so I know. That is why the first 2 compoents I listed in my earlier post were damping and wiring.

I assume the amp is a 4 channel Class D amp. These amps are very small and can fit almost anywhere. I wont be surprised if you find it in the dash near the firewall. The components havea 6-7" Midbass, mated to a midrange and tweeter. 4 good 6-7" long throw midbasses can provide a decent ammount of good QUALITY bass. A sub would add more low end.

I have no doubts that a system such as what you heard in the Laura can be replicated in any car.
Old 12th January 2007, 17:02   #11
BHPian

hey navin, does the stock ice set up of laura cost so much...my bro to have a laura...just love the sound quality...and can all these be driven without a amp!!!
Old 12th January 2007, 17:04   #12

Yes, Navin. my ice setup is exactly wht u have said.

Thanks a lot for the information provided and surely lifted my spirits with ur words "I have no doubts that a system such as what you heard in the Laura can be replicated in any car."

My story is - some drunken driver crashed into my car parked in front of my house at midnite and ran away. It ruined the driver's door and the fender completely. As i am repairing it, i wanted to upgrade to 3 way components. By 3 way, i mean something like wht u said "The components have a 6-7" Midbass, mated to a midrange and tweeter. 4 good 6-7" long throw midbasses can provide a decent ammount of good QUALITY bass" with no sub at all.

I would appreciate if u could advise me wht kind of setup would replicate that and also the approx cost.

Skoda claims 12 speaker surround sound. which HU will give u tht? i have seen some HU's with surround sound or 5.1 channels on the net, but i believe they aren't available here in india or if it does than its gonna be costly.

BTW i wasn't comparing coaxials to a 3 way component set up as i know the difference and definitely wouldn't like to have looked stupid in front of u.

Regarding the damping, i wil take it seriously from now on as i didn't do much on my previous setup as compared to wht u have specified. And u r right abt the Skoda door panels twice as stiff and better damped as most Korean or Jap car.

in fact u r always right even in ur assumptions and tht makes novice people like me to come back for more.

Thanks a lot and really appreciate it.
Old 12th January 2007, 17:16   #13
Team-BHP Support

Krazykul maybe you can fiddle around with the tuning to get a less fatiguing output.
How are your equalizer levels set?
try changing these to sound more balanced and gentle on the ears.
Old 12th January 2007, 20:42   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would appreciate if u could advise me wht kind of setup would replicate that and also the approx cost.

Skoda claims 12 speaker surround sound. which HU will give u tht? i have seen some HU's with surround sound or 5.1 channels on the net, but i believe they aren't available here in india or if it does than its gonna be costly.
I think Navin's split-up in his earlier post is about perfect.

For 3-ways, the two options (at a reasonable budget are):
-- Hertz ESK 163s: 14,100/-
-- Infinity Kappa 1.7cs (Not sure if this specific model is the one available in India, but I think this is the one). Not sure of price, but it will be between 12-14K.

There are more expensive (and better) options from Hertz and other brands.

Do you like your music with stronger vocals? 3-ways sound quite a bit different from 2-ways. Properly installed, you can ID 3-ways vs. 2-ways with your eyes closed (playing music familiar to you, of course). They sound that different. Make sure that you really want 3-ways, before you take the plunge. Mated to a quality amp, good 3-ways will sound way better than a Laura's factory system. That you can be sure of :-)

You'll need a good amp to go with the 3-ways. Expect to spend in the region of 20-23K at the very least. I would look at Alpines at least. Ideally, Audison. Middle-of-the-road or lesser Amp = wasted (money on) 3-ways.

4-5K for damping front doors well. If you get a sub, another 4K for Boot and other areas (that will rattle).

Rear fill and sub are up to you to decide. A sub is definitely desirable. But then you'll need another amp for that. (Sub + amp = 15K at the very least). A HU good enough to do justice to the 3-ways will be 15K minimum.

Navin's total of 1L is spot-on, for a good, properly installed system in a properly damped car, with 3-ways in front, a good HU, Amps, decent rear-fill and a good sub.

As for Skoda's "12 speaker surround sound", that is load of marketing bull. The 4 pairs of 3-ways are basically it. Four 3-way component speakers. And by surround, they just mean they have sound coming at you from 4 sides. You'll need a separate processor and special amp (or separate amps) for getting 5.1 sound in a car, and 5.1 sound is not exactly ideal for listening to music.

Any HU that gives a good, clean signal with 3 pre-outs will be good for a 3-way system.

Last edited by hydrashok : 12th January 2007 at 20:49.
Old 13th January 2007, 04:42   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
You mean to say The Sonata comes stock with a sub ???
Yes, It comes with an 8" subwoofer in the rear parcel shelf. If you want pics, ask Driven to post an install he did in a TBHPians Embera.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks