Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2020, 21:36   #31
BHPian

Re: Foxfire 10.1" 4G LTE Android Head-Unit upgrade in my Honda City

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkborah View Post
Any guru knows what a Canbus adapter can do for my Honda.
The Honda Accord has buttons that control the HU on the dash which are separate from the display or if the HU displays AC settings or other engine information, also if you can change car settings like auto lock/unlock etc, then you need a Canbus adapter to relay that information to your new head unit.

The accord is also Canbus equipped.

Presence of these settings on the HU usually means that the car is canbus equipped. Common examples like Tata Hexa, Tata Nexon have Android units with canbus adaper, which activates the controls on the dash.

On cars like the City, where HU only has audio related features, are not usually canbus equipped.
city2491 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 01:56   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
I would recommend giving a few days more given the information that you have received. Had Sunny mentioned to you the details of the Hyderabad Installer with whom he had the tie up? If so you could try reaching them directly and explaining the situation. The other source would be Red Soul in Bangalore - call them on 080 4163 2121 and check if they are aware of Sunny's situation.

For 2014 City it was not straight forward in terms of the Reverse Camera support if you have seen my article. Sunny had to ship a different wiring harness after the default one sent did not work for the Reverse Camera.

Please keep us posted on what you hear.
Apologies for the late response as I had to go abroad for couple of weeks. I just got my Android head Unit from FoxFire installed today for my Honda City 2014. I learnt that Sunny was indeed hospitalized and hence the delay/ sluggishness in his response. I was told by Sunny that the installer they have in Hyderabad- Koty has not been reachable / on leave and therefore advised me on getting it installed by a local installer at Hyderabad. He confirmed he would provide phone support whenever I get it installed and also said that any local installer oculd do the job. In fact Sunny also refunded the installation charges of Rs 2500 as I had paid him installation charges upfront.
So today I finally setup time with a local installer (Krazy Car Decors , Chandanagar) who quoted Rs 800 for the installation. It took over 3.5 hours to complete the installation as they were primarily struggling with the camera installation. Just FYI, I ordered an HD camera as well from Sunny as part of my package. As per Sunny, there would be considerable distortion / granulation if stock camera is used with this head unit owing to the large screen size.

Reached Krazy Car Decors around 4:30 PM. In my case, since the new camera also had to be installed, quite a bit of time was spent on deciding whether to remove the stock camera or not. Finally Sunny advised to remove the stock camera and fix the new HD camera. Removing the stock camera and fixing the new camera in the same slot was not an easy exercise and a small hole had to be made on the plastic holder (which holds the stock camera ), in order to remove the stock camera. BTW, this plastic holder costs just about 100 / 150 rupees as quoted by Sunny so even if I need to put back the stock camera, it can be easily done. So finally the new camera was mounted exactly at the same point as the stock camera. They then moved on to draw the wires of the new camera from the boot, under the rear seat through the side door beads and then finally all the way upto the head unit. This was the most time taking part of the entire process. They then removed the stock head unit and started mounting the Android unit. All connections to the new unit were coupler to coupler and no wire splicing was involved. I was standing by the entire time just to closely monitor the whole installation process. Finally they finished the job close to 7:45 PM. Post the job, I was asked to pay 1000 which I promptly paid as the mechanics indeed worked really hard to get this through. Overall I am satisfied with the job.

Pro :
- The Finish and installation is great / very close to factory finish. My wife in fact remarked that it looks like an OEM fitting.
- The new HD Camera resolution is quite good.
- Blue tooth works fine and the sound quality for calls is also good
- Radio sound quality is also good
- I also tested sound quality from Youtube and the overall sound quality / fidelity is good.
- Google maps navigation has a slight lag during start but it looks awesome in the large 10 inch screen.
- Also watched couple of videos from youtube and the screen resolution is great
- Stock USB connector works
- Volume control / steering controls also work as desired.

Cons:
- A hole had to me made to remove the stock camera and install the new camera
- The external Mic that has been fitted cannot be muted as confirmed by Sunny.
- The grid lines for parking assistance on the new camera appear to be static unlike the grid lines in some of the new cars which appear to move along with the steering direction. Will be discussing this with Sunny
- There is a wait time of ~ 40 sec when the head unit starts up
- Lag in engaging reverse camera as stated by Srivatsa but thats not a big problem. Also everything including calls just comes to a halt when the reverse camera is engaged. Sunny told me that this is apparently a safety feature and can be disabled but not recommended by him.
- stock AUX connection does not work. Anyway, no one uses Aux these days so this is not really a Con.
- The entire process would have been much easier with Sunny's installer had he been able to arrange it.

Conclusion :
Overall it really feels great to have such a great / modern system installed on my Honda City. My Honda City now feels brand new / state of the art. I still need to fully explore Screen mirroring / SIM card usage. Apparently screen mirroring is dependent on the model of the phone. I need to research a bit on how to use it. I have not installed any external apps as yet. Just FYI, Sunny has recommended to not install too many apps and keep only the ones necessary as it could potentially slow down the unit. BTW, I also recently got my Honda city detailed both externally and internally from Carz Spa Jubilee hills, Hyderabad and hence the car literally feels kind of brand new and this head unit kind of adds icing on the cake.
Attached Thumbnails
Foxfire 10.1" 4G LTE Android Head-Unit upgrade in my Honda City-20200218_180109.jpg  

Foxfire 10.1" 4G LTE Android Head-Unit upgrade in my Honda City-20200219_002409.jpg  

Foxfire 10.1" 4G LTE Android Head-Unit upgrade in my Honda City-20200219_002552.jpg  

sathwic is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 10:06   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathwic View Post
Just FYI, I ordered an HD camera as well from Sunny as part of my package.
Congratulations on the Android Head Unit Upgrade!

Does this HD Camera support only one view or is there a provision for the 3 views like the Stock Camera? I liked the 3 view option of Stock Camera and hence sticking to it. While there is pixelation in what is shown, the three views do have an advantage. Do share some pictures of the reverse camera view on the HU when you get time.
Old 19th February 2020, 14:03   #34

Sunny confirmed that most of the after market AHD cameras have only one view including the one supplied to me unlike the stock camera which has 3 views.
Attached Thumbnails
Foxfire 10.1" 4G LTE Android Head-Unit upgrade in my Honda City-20200219_124215.jpg  

sathwic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2020, 09:36   #35
Senior - BHPian

Here are some pictures of the three views provided by the Stock Camera for Reference:

Foxfire 10.1" 4G LTE Android Head-Unit upgrade in my Honda City-01.-regular.jpg
Normal View

Foxfire 10.1" 4G LTE Android Head-Unit upgrade in my Honda City-03.-topdown.jpg
Wide Angle/Fish Eye View

Foxfire 10.1" 4G LTE Android Head-Unit upgrade in my Honda City-02.-fisheyeview.jpg
Top Down

I can toggle the views using the Steering Mounted Controls on the Car. I usually leave it at the Fish Eye View as it can show the widest field of view of things in the surrounding.

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 20th February 2020 at 09:37.
Old 20th February 2020, 13:36   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Here are some pictures of the three views provided by the Stock Camera for Reference:
Is there any way to fix the guidelines? The guidelines seen here don't look accurate at all.

My Android doesn't show guidelines at all, but that would be better than showing wrong guidelines.
Old 20th February 2020, 13:42   #37
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by city2491 View Post
Is there any way to fix the guidelines? The guidelines seen here don't look accurate at all.
AFAIK, these guidelines are inbuilt into the camera and not the HU. So if the OEM camera had them, I don't see why the new HU won't display them.

OEM Stock HU
Foxfire 10.1" 4G LTE Android Head-Unit upgrade in my Honda City-img_20200220_1339071600x900.jpg

Aftermarket HU (Pioneer)
Foxfire 10.1" 4G LTE Android Head-Unit upgrade in my Honda City-f92d1c49b0b5fcedcfb335a7f42123331.jpg
Old 20th February 2020, 13:52   #38
BHPian

Android headunits leave some small details like this untouched which spoils an otherwise great experience.

As mentioned in vsrivatsa's installation post some wire related to camera/reverse had to be spliced.

Foxfire 10.1" 4G LTE Android Head-Unit upgrade in my Honda City-camera1.jpg

Foxfire 10.1" 4G LTE Android Head-Unit upgrade in my Honda City-camera2.jpg

Foxfire 10.1" 4G LTE Android Head-Unit upgrade in my Honda City-camera3.jpg

In the original head unit, look how the guidelines adapt to different views. In the top down view also, its completely different.

I don't understand why it's not using the built-in guidelines.
Old 20th February 2020, 14:56   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by city2491 View Post
In the original head unit, look how the guidelines adapt to different views. In the top down view also, its completely different.
Here are my findings so far:

1. There is way to completely turn off the gridlines. In fact, Sunny had to guide me on how to enable it as it was turned off post installation. For this you need to enter into the system settings using the password. (Sunny will share the admin password on request and with some warnings to be careful). If yours is sourced from someone else, try contacting the seller and there should be way to enable gridlines.

2. Based on the above, the gridlines are hence coming from the Android HU and not the Camera native gridlines.

3. There are two types of gridlines available in the Fofxfire HU - the one as can be seen in my pictures and the other one as can be seen in pictures posted by BHPian sathwic here > (Foxfire 10.1" 4G LTE Android Head-Unit upgrade in my Honda City). It is possible to enable whichever per preference but both do have the issue that you reported.

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 20th February 2020 at 14:59.
Old 20th February 2020, 15:01   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Here are my findings so far:
If yours is sourced from someone else, try contacting the seller and there should be way to enable gridlines.
The seller doesn't know how to do that. By the way, I've figured out the password on my own (It's 8888 for mine and Hypersonic, different for other processors).

Could you please tell me where in the factory settings can I find this option? It looks very confusing to me.
Old 21st February 2020, 12:49   #41

Quote:

I can toggle the views using the Steering Mounted Controls on the Car. I usually leave it at the Fish Eye View as it can show the widest field of view of things in the surrounding.
Thanks. I see the advantage of having the stock camera.

Update : Having used the Head unit for 3-4 days, I found few issues specifically related to BT / Radio / Sound control that I have also reported to Sunny :
- Its sometimes difficult to activate / switch to BT if I am on the Radio mode. Sunny suggested a work around which does not work consistenly
- I noticed that once connected to BT, sometimes the actual sound volume does not increase/ decrease although the volume on screen goes up or down
- Yesterday while talking on BT, i was passing through a very flaky mobile signal area. The Car BT got disconnected and radio started , while the call on my phone was still on. I had to switch to my phone speakers to keep the call going.
- Toggle between Radio channels does not work accurately always, as in sometimes when pressing the forward/ backward buttons on the steering control, the system does not loop through all the stored radio channels and is limited to toggle between first few channels. This happens only 2/10 times

Having reported these issues to Sunny, he promptly agreed to ship a replacement unit next week. In the interim, he has asked me to freely use the existing unit for a week and report any other issues as well. I am yet to conclude on the over all quality of the unit but I have to appreciate Sunny's passion for Customer support.
Meanwhile I am also trying to reach out to Senior BHPian VSrivatsa directly so that I can get some tips and tricks to better understand the system.
sathwic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2020, 12:24   #42
Senior - BHPian

One of my friends is planning to upgrade to a Android HU for his Maruti Ciaz. Foxfire is still the same with 2GB/32GB RAM. They do not have a 4GB/64GB model on offer yet.

On the other hand Hypersonic folks are offering 4GB/64GB 10.1 inch System for 29,000 with Android 9.0. The price is steep in comparison but when OEMs such as Blaupunkt are selling higher than this for 7 inch systems, these seem worthwhile.
Old 26th February 2020, 12:31   #43
Senior - BHPian

Got one for my Crysta the 16GB variant one. Good so far, dont know how long it will last but for 12K its a steal.
Foxfire 10.1" 4G LTE Android Head-Unit upgrade in my Honda City-img_20200221_164820.jpg
Foxfire 10.1" 4G LTE Android Head-Unit upgrade in my Honda City-img_20200221_164805.jpg
Foxfire 10.1" 4G LTE Android Head-Unit upgrade in my Honda City-img_20200221_164828.jpg
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2020, 01:54   #44
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I bought one for my Civic. I want to install it myself. Is it an easy process which I can explore or it can only be installed by a professional. I have installed few Head Units in past. So was wondering if I can do this one too.
Old 3rd March 2020, 10:54   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Got one for my Crysta the 16GB variant one. Good so far, dont know how long it will last but for 12K its a steal.
Hi.. where did you pick this up from? And does it support screen mirroring?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks