Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2020, 20:25   #76

Re: Foxfire 10.1" 4G LTE Android Head-Unit upgrade in my Honda City

Quote:
Originally Posted by srekar View Post
I will update the thread once the installation is completed.

Installation was done and service was provided by FoxFire Authorized Dealer at no additional cost. The initial impression of the system is good but one feature that I thought nice to have is missing.

I am not an expert in Car Audio. So please correct me if I am wrong.

The faders functionality on pre-amp jacks from the Head Unit is missing. My technician installed Amplifier and speakers and during the process, we found out the faders work fine on Speaker Inputs (High-Level Inputs) to Amplifier but not from Pre-Amp jacks (Low-Level Inputs from FoxFire unit). Pre-Amp jacks combined both Front and Rear speakers (all 4 speakers) into 2 channels and if you increase the front right level, it will increase the level on the rear right too.

I spoke to sunny and if I am not wrong, he confirmed the same to me.

For now, I am using Speaker Inputs (High-Level Inputs) to Amplifier as I don't want rear speakers at the same level as front components but I wish the unit provided that functionality on Pre-Amp.

Also installed a sim card and Bluetooth OBD scanner and both are working as expected. 360 view is very nice and useful.

While I did not test the unit fully, I thought of giving a quick heads-up on the Faders functionality as I am missing that feature on the unit.

Please advise/correct me on how to go around the fader functionality If I use Pre-Amp jacks.
srekar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2020, 16:46   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samy1117 View Post
One of the major drawback is the voice call quality thru Bluetooth. It's really frustrating. Caller on the other end always complain that they cant hear me clearly every time even if I shout. Tried multiple solutions suggested by the supplier. Changed the external mic positions, adjusted volumes etc. Nothing worked. This unit picks up the caller's voice thru car's speakers and echo it back to the caller.
Sorry to hear about your issues - I think you should certainly get the microphone checked. I did a Foxfire to Foxfire Call and found no issues - the call clarity is good and there is no echo on either side.

The call was made from the 2GB / 32 GB Model on the Honda City to the 4GB / 64 GB Model on the Jeep Compass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srekar View Post
Installation was done and service was provided by FoxFire Authorized Dealer at no additional cost. Also installed a sim card and Bluetooth OBD scanner and both are working as expected. 360 view is very nice and useful..
Congratulations on your upgrade!
Old 16th January 2021, 09:59   #78
BHPian

Hi vsrivatsa, very informative and useful thread . I have been looking at changing the HU in my XL6 for sometime now and this looks like a good option. Would like to touch base with you on this if possible.

Thanks in advance

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Sorry to hear about your issues - I think you should certainly get the microphone checked. I did a Foxfire to Foxfire Call and found no issues - the call clarity is good and there is no echo on either side.

The call was made from the 2GB / 32 GB Model on the Honda City to the 4GB / 64 GB Model on the Jeep Compass.

Foxfire Android Head Unit Phone Call and Bluetooth Clarity

Congratulations on your upgrade!
Old 28th February 2021, 21:31   #79
Senior - BHPian

Based on recent coverage here on the forum about mismatches in Android Head Unit configurations I have made a video which covers some steps to take and apps to use to validate and ensure you are getting what the vendor is quoting at the time of sale:

Hope this is useful for the people who are in the market for buying Android Head Units!
vsrivatsa is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th July 2021, 01:46   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Based on recent coverage here on the forum about mismatches in Android Head Unit configurations I have made a video which covers some steps to take and apps to use to validate and ensure you are getting what the vendor is quoting at the time of sale:

Caution and Care while buying Android Head Units!

Hope this is useful for the people who are in the market for buying Android Head Units!
Ordered a foxfire 4gb unit with 4g sim card based on your reviews, getting it fixed on my city tomorrow!
@vsrivatsa can I get added to Honda City whatsapp group?
speedracer05 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2021, 16:11   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracer05 View Post
Ordered a foxfire 4gb unit with 4g sim card based on your reviews, getting it fixed on my city tomorrow!
@vsrivatsa can I get added to Honda City whatsapp group?
Do share some pictures and your experience here
Also once the Private Message option is available to you - send me your Mobile Number using that option to be added to the Honda City WA Group.
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2021, 22:34   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Also once the Private Message option is available to you - send me your Mobile Number using that option to be added to the Honda City WA Group.
I am not sure how to enable/access private message. I can share my mail id (id.navs@gmail.com) if you could drop me a mail, I will share my number there. I do need some advice on upgrades and fixing some niggles etc, joining the group will be big help!

I am planning to write a post on purchase, upgrades and honda city driving experience compared to my previous Fabia tdi. Been busy/lazy.. will do when some motivation kicks in
Old 29th August 2021, 18:44   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Hi vsrivata,
I still dont have private message, so sharing my number here (8197241525)
Could you please add me to Honda City whatapp group. I was thinking of replacing stock suspensions with stiffer ones, with hopefully better GC, can use some advice from the group.
speedracer05 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2021, 17:48   #84
BHPian

Really impressive insights and I am planning to get it installed on my 2014 City.
Any indication as to whether its available in Mumbai, Western suburbs? (Borivali- Kandivali) ?

Last edited by saurabh159 : 10th September 2021 at 17:52.
Old 12th September 2021, 22:51   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh159 View Post
Really impressive insights and I am planning to get it installed on my 2014 City.
Any indication as to whether its available in Mumbai, Western suburbs? (Borivali- Kandivali) ?
Sunny has tie-ups all over India. Please WhatsApp him and check. Also in certain Tier 2 and 3 cities where a tie up with local installer is missing he will ship it and provide guidance to any local installer.

Make sure you have thoroughly gone thru the Caution Video here: Link (Foxfire 10.1" 4G LTE Android Head-Unit upgrade in my Honda City). Make sure you call out that you intent to check the Android version and hardware and will return if things do not match what is claimed at time of sale.
vsrivatsa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2022, 17:08   #86
BHPian

Looking for android head unit setup for Honda city 2013.
I noticed that the foxfire website is not working.
Any alternative brands used recently for the city 2013?
Old 19th January 2022, 23:10   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepReading View Post
Looking for android head unit setup for Honda city 2013.
I noticed that the foxfire website is not working.
Any alternative brands used recently for the city 2013?
The Website was not updated since a long time. I would recommend that you speak to Sunny and check. The same number should work.

The other option to consider would be Woodman: Link
Old 27th April 2022, 16:04   #88

Hello @vsrivatsa,

Thank you for sharing such a detailed review and the process for upgrading the head unit in your JC.

I have been wanting to do the same for quite some time now in my JC sports plus variant, but needed to be sure of getting an android system over the Uconnect system or any other branded system like Pioneer, Sony or Alpine.

What has been your experience of using the Fox Fire system till now:

1. Have you been facing any issues after iam assuming 2 years of using it
2. Do all vehicle settings work and show in this android unit?
3. How is the after sales service

and lastly, what did you do with your old Uconnect system, is it still with you?

Would highly appreciate your advice for going with a branded vs andriod system where i can retain most if not all vehicle settings.

Regards,
TrailJunkie
Old 2nd May 2022, 16:39   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailJunkie View Post
Hello @vsrivatsa,

Thank you for sharing such a detailed review and the process for upgrading the head unit in your JC.

I have been wanting to do the same for quite some time now in my JC sports plus variant, but needed to be sure of getting an android system over the Uconnect system or any other branded system like Pioneer, Sony or Alpine.

What has been your experience of using the Fox Fire system till now:

1. Have you been facing any issues after iam assuming 2 years of using it
2. Do all vehicle settings work and show in this android unit?
3. How is the after sales service

and lastly, what did you do with your old Uconnect system, is it still with you?

Would highly appreciate your advice for going with a branded vs andriod system where i can retain most if not all vehicle settings.

Regards,
TrailJunkie
The Head Unit has been performing well without any issues so far. Yes settings work with some minor issues as called out in the video. They did improve calibration of the 360 camera as it was not done at the time of install. Post that, have not had any reason to call Foxfire guys as the system has not had any issues recently.

Uconnect system was sold at around 11K or so post the purchase of the Foxfire system.
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2022, 23:31   #90
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks for this post. I had installed foxfire FF001 8 inch HU (2 / 32 GB variant) on my WRV ditching the OEM Digipad (I call it as ditchpad) back in Feb 2020 after going through this thread.
The foxfire dealer in Chennai who himself installed me the headunit told that the android version is 8.1 but then felt really bad when I found it running android 6 after validating with the "device info" app back in 2020.

On the usability perspective, it's pretty okayish except that google maps crashes at time and it takes its own time to load while opening. So I may spend 5 mins to open maps, search a destination and then start navigation. So, for a quick route check, I only prefer my mobile. Sygic on the other hand seems to be more stable on the HU.

Tried few launchers on the Headunit. Have been using FCC launcher until a month back which is very good with too many customization options and features but seems to be a overkill for the 2gb RAM variant. The headunit used to completely power off even when the car is turned off for 2 minutes (it takes about 5 minutes to boot up again) but once I changed to "Autozen" launcher, the headunit will instantly wake if car is turned ON again within few hours. Autozen is more or less like the android auto but is light on CPU and the setup is very straight forward but it lacks features and it is in its early days of development.
Youtube Vanced (for ad-free videos/music) & Spotify works fine.

I would suggest anyone to validate the points you mention in your video before purchasing an android headunit because most of these Chinese units come with fake android. If at all one gets a powerful headunit and has good patience to customize the looks, please checkout FCC launcher in the playstore. As as additional tip, users need to understand the processor / ram limitations on these headunits and refrain from loading too many apps on it just like we do it on our mobile devices. Else the experience may be laggy and the unit may even reboot on its own at times.
bajoseph04 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed