Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2007, 07:48   #1
Senior - BHPian

Car Video Query

hi gyz...

I'm considering installing a Screen in my car. Few Queries:

1. I'm using 10 Mp3 Changer; would I be able to get a video card fit in that or do I need to buy a portable DVD/VCD player seperately?

2. How about the sound? Do I need to use a FM modulator (one option I know would work for sure!) as I all the pre-outs from the HU (Sony XRCA620X) are already occupied and the installer has used Y connectors as well to connect 2 amps or is there a way out to get a better sound from my JBLs.

3. Any particular brand of screen with indicative price would a be a real help.

4. Any other recommendations?
Old 10th February 2007, 08:09   #2
Senior - BHPian

panky,
1) I have seen quite a few regular CD changers retrofitted with some small black box thing that helps them do VCDs. I haven't seen such a solution for DVDs yet. If you want DVD playback, maybe you'll need to go for a DVD HU. a DVD HU from JVC/Sony should be available for 12K or so, and that should be cheaper than a DVD changer. I'm not sure if Pio has DVD HUs in the sub 12K range.

I think E_L has a Sony/JVC DVD HU, and a screen. E_L? Speedzak has also been using a Pio DVD HU with two head-rest screens.

2) I the CD Changer mod works/you get a DVD changer, the sound will come through the existing sound connections. Only the video out will need to be brought to the front and connected to the screen.

If you will be using a separate DVD HU, you can probably send the DVD HU's sound to the current HU's aux-in (and not pre-out) or vice versa, whichever sounds better. Your current pre-outs can remain as they are, if you send the DVD's (CD Changer/Separate DVD HU) output to the current HU's aux-in. If you only have single DIN facility, you'll need to remove your current HU anyway, so no issue with 2 sources there.

3) I'm not sure, but from what I've heard, NecVox is a good brand. There will be other less costly brands available, I'm sure. Somebody who uses screens should be along shortly.

4) Set it up & enjoy Don't watch a movie and drive. Make sure you install the screen in such a way that you will not be distracted when you are driving.

Last edited by hydrashok : 10th February 2007 at 08:12.
Old 10th February 2007, 08:27   #3
Senior - BHPian

thanx hydra, I dont think I have any Aux-in/like in my HU.. second, I am told that a video card cant be installed in Mp3 changer but only in a normal audio CD changer.
Old 10th February 2007, 09:21   #4
Senior - BHPian

What is your budget ? The sony MEx-R1 costs 12k with B/W. I looked around when i bought mine & compared with other HUs around the same cost & came to the conclusion that the Mex-R1 offers more value for the money paid. For the LCD, the most VFM brand now is necvox. there is another brand (dont know the name) which has this screen on the sunvisor, you could check that out if you dont want the screen to be very visible.
Old 10th February 2007, 11:01   #5
NIP
Senior - BHPian

hydra...does the Sony MEX-R1 do DivX ?!
Old 10th February 2007, 11:29   #6
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Panky bhai , Even the HU's can be retrofitted with VCD capabilities. you could look into this too
Old 10th February 2007, 19:14   #7
Senior - BHPian

oh really Aza, where????? I checked with my local guy and he nodded "nope"
Old 11th February 2007, 06:08   #8
BANNED

Panky, it's always better to get a dvd HU rather than modding your current one. There'll be many compromises and even the quality will not be great. Another major concern is the controls for the playback etc...
Is it really tight down the pocket that you have to go that route? It's always better to get a new HU in my opinion.
Old 11th February 2007, 10:43   #9
Senior - BHPian

speed zak, I wd have gone for a new DVD HU; (not tight that much!) The only problem is that i listen to a lot of audoi cassetes, and such cant change the HU.
Old 11th February 2007, 17:38   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
hydra...does the Sony MEX-R1 do DivX ?!
Uh, I don't know, sorry. esteem_lover should know. E_L?
Old 11th February 2007, 20:15   #11
Senior - BHPian

The Mex-R1 has a line in, so if you can fit 2 HUs in your car, then you are game for both cassettes & DVDs. I am planning on doing that for a long time now.
Old 12th February 2007, 06:50   #12
Senior - BHPian

any other suggestions?? gurus.....HELP!
Old 13th February 2007, 03:18   #13
BANNED

Gurus seems to be busy with Sea & lords. Can't blame them though.

There's a very expensive option. To get a DVD changer. But then your HU will seem like antique to it and won't correctly obey it's commands.

If you just want VCD capability, then get a VCD HU. Will work out very cheap. But the trouble is to find one.

You can also look for a used cd changer with VCD capability. Newer ones are zero available.

Another option is to get a walkman which plays DVDs/VCDs. And get the sound via cassette adapter or so. Video will have to be fed to the screen directly. Will cause a lot of visible cable mess unless taken a lot of planning and care.

All these options are not to my liking though. I would suggest a new HU which can play DVDs.
Old 13th February 2007, 15:33   #14
Team-BHP Support

some years back I got me a 10 disc changer from necvox that plays VCD, DVD amd MP3. it feeds my HU via a FM modulator and is resoanbly clean. Much better than iTrips etc... besides the changer and a 5.6" headrest screen was got for 16K (in 2004).
Old 13th February 2007, 15:41   #15
Senior - BHPian

Panky PM LBM he's recently fitted a gadget on his passenger side sun-visor which plays video & has an in-built screen!! Also IIRC it costed him about 7k, so might be interesting for you!!

Zak you too take note!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks