Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2019, 16:39   #1
BHPian

ICE Upgrade : Ford EcoSport

I am starting this thread in order to bring together the knowledge and advice of everyone who has upgraded the audio system in any way whatsoever in their Ford EcoSport, as I couldn't find a common thread for audio advice for my car, unlike the others.

I own a 2016 Ford EcoSport Trend 1.5 Ti-VCT, and since mine doesn't come with the SYNC system, I am looking for an alternative.
I'm currently running a pair of Mercury R62 Limited components up front, with a pair of DLS Performance M226 co-axials & DD Audio VO-B3 Bullet Tweeters at the back, on a DD Audio C4.100 4 Channel Amplifier.
For the lows, I have a pair of Sundown Audio LCS subwoofers in the boot, running off a Rockford Fosgate P500X1bd at 1Ohm.
All of this is controlled by a Pioneer DEQ-S1000A sound processor, since the OEM HU barely lets me tinker with anything at all.

After researching online, I found the Caska EcoSport Base 359 GPS and Car Media Player, that would fit my car perfectly and would add the features that I was looking for. However, the above mentioned system wasn't available anymore.

Alas, I started looking for more alternatives, and I came across a very interesting fact that I don't think many people know about.
The design of the bottom half of the part that houses the screen is different in the Trend variant and the Titanium variant.

ICE Upgrade : Ford EcoSport-titanium-dashboard.jpg

ICE Upgrade : Ford EcoSport-trend-dashboard.jpg

This causes the aftermarket units to not fit in the lower variants & thus, eliminating it from my list as well.

ICE Upgrade : Ford EcoSport-not-fitting.jpg

My next option was to go for a Tesla Style Android Head Unit, but since it completely removed the physical volume button and had a laggy interface to begin with, I couldn't make peace with the fact that I would have to spend ₹30.000/- for the same.

ICE Upgrade : Ford EcoSport-ecosport.jpg

As of now, I am stuck with the OEM HU, and would love to hear from fellow EcoSport owners who have changed the same to a more generic Pioneer or Sony alternative.
AShubrah is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 16:59   #2
BHPian

Re: ICE Upgrade : Ford EcoSport

@hserus has changed the stock HU of his new gen Fiesta with an Android one purchased from Aliexpress. It comes with the fascia. Please have a look at his ownership thread and get the seller's coordinates. Worth checking if they might be having something similar for the Ecosport too?
digitalnirvana is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 22:05   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
@hserus has changed the stock HU of his new gen Fiesta with an Android one purchased from Aliexpress. It comes with the fascia. Please have a look at his ownership thread and get the seller's coordinates. Worth checking if they might be having something similar for the Ecosport too?
They do have something for the ecosport but it was for sync models if I remember right - yours might have sync v1 (create a profile on www.india.ford.com with your VIN and check for firmware updates, you should be able to get details).

Double / triple check with the seller showing them photographs. Once it is shipped it will be too late for you to get another fascia, a different deck etc.

The seller in question was Navitech - https://www.aliexpress.com/store/336554
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2019, 01:13   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
They do have something for the ecosport but it was for sync models if I remember right - yours might have sync v1 (create a profile on www.india.ford.com with your VIN and check for firmware updates, you should be able to get details).

Double / triple check with the seller showing them photographs. Once it is shipped it will be too late for you to get another fascia, a different deck etc.

The seller in question was Navitech - https://www.aliexpress.com/store/336554
As you can see, my EcoSport doe not come with any version of SYNC.
However, I will contact the seller to enquire if there is something available for my variant.

P.S - Do you know anyone who has changed the OEM HU of their Fiesta/EcoSport/Figo/Aspire to a generic 2-DIN one?

ICE Upgrade : Ford EcoSport-untitled1.jpg
Old 27th November 2019, 07:39   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AShubrah View Post
P.S - Do you know anyone who has changed the OEM HU of their Fiesta/EcoSport/Figo/Aspire to a generic 2-DIN one?
Service indicators, check engine light etc are all mapped to the Ford head unit.

So don't take that away, ever. You'll run into issues.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2019, 07:48   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1939222
This is a CANBUS based head unit, do not try adventurous after market installations. As hserus mentioned, there will be some inbuilt readers in Chinese head units. I have seen good reviews about Hypersonic OEM type installations. Hypersonic head units are easily available, try a demo before installation

Last edited by deehunk : 27th November 2019 at 08:00.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2019, 07:50   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
This is a CANBUS based head unit, do not try adventurous after market installations.
The thing about such chinese gear is that it comes with a dongle that has an older Ford firmware in it, possibly reverse engineered. That handles all the alerts.
hserus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th April 2020, 20:55   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Service indicators, check engine light etc are all mapped to the Ford head unit.

So don't take that away, ever. You'll run into issues.
I came across a few owners who had replaced the head unit on their EcoSport with an aftermarket one from Pioneer or Sony, and since theirs wasn’t the top model with the screen, they didn’t face any issues with the CEL or CANBUS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
This is a CANBUS based head unit, do not try adventurous after market installations. As hserus mentioned, there will be some inbuilt readers in Chinese head units. I have seen good reviews about Hypersonic OEM type installations. Hypersonic head units are easily available, try a demo before installation
I will try a demo after the lockdown is over, but the only thing I am concerned about is not being able to play a 3-Way Active setup from the head unit.
If there’s a workaround for that, apart from retaining the DSP, I’d be interested in the same.
Old 14th April 2020, 21:20   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I came across a few owners who had replaced the head unit on their EcoSport with an aftermarket one from Pioneer or Sony, and since theirs wasn’t the top model with the screen, they didn’t face any issues with the CEL or CANBUS.

I will try a demo after the lockdown is over, but the only thing I am concerned about is not being able to play a 3-Way Active setup from the head unit.
If there’s a workaround for that, apart from retaining the DSP, I’d be interested in the same.
The audio quality of the ford sync is streets ahead of chinese units, and even of most mid priced Pioneer type HUs. Service due indicators etc all display on the HU so please don't replace it with generic Pioneer type devices, not that you can fit a standard 1 or 2 din system into that helmet shaped dome.
Old 15th June 2020, 12:19   #10
BHPian

I am running an upgraded ICE in my 2014 Ecosport Titanium (O). At one point of time I too was tempted to replace the stock head unit but better sense prevailed and I don't regret my decision one bit.

The sound quality from the stock HU is pretty good and detailed.

Here's what I'm running since the past 1.5 years:

JL Audio C1 650 components - front
JL Audio C1 650x co-axials - rear
Helix D Four - 4 channel amp to power the speakers
Rockford Fosgate R500x1d - Mono
Cerwin Vega VMAX 124 - Subwoofer in a sealed enclosure (punches TIGHT )

Maybe an entry level setup but to me it's Audio Nirvana.

Last edited by 97_Octane : 15th June 2020 at 12:21.
97_Octane is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 13:27   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97_Octane View Post
I am running an upgraded ICE in my 2014 Ecosport Titanium (O). At one point of time I too was tempted to replace the stock head unit but better sense prevailed and I don't regret my decision one bit.

The sound quality from the stock HU is pretty good and detailed.

Here's what I'm running since the past 1.5 years:

JL Audio C1 650 components - front
JL Audio C1 650x co-axials - rear
Helix D Four - 4 channel amp to power the speakers
Rockford Fosgate R500x1d - Mono
Cerwin Vega VMAX 124 - Subwoofer in a sealed enclosure (punches TIGHT )

Maybe an entry level setup but to me it's Audio Nirvana.
Very nice ,how much did it cost you? preferably a break up .
Old 6th August 2020, 00:16   #12
BHPian

Can anyone suggest some good speaker upgrade for my friend's car. His budget is strictly under 6-7 k and wants some good vocals and decent bass. I am not starting a new thread just because it can be covered here i think. If there's any specific thread for suggestions on ICE upgrade please let me know. I wasn't able to find one. Thanks.
Old 6th August 2020, 20:56   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefpk View Post
Can anyone suggest some good speaker upgrade for my friend's car. His budget is strictly under 6-7 k and wants some good vocals and decent bass. I am not starting a new thread just because it can be covered here i think. If there's any specific thread for suggestions on ICE upgrade please let me know. I wasn't able to find one. Thanks.

If he is the primary driver, your friend can look to upgrade to a pair of component speakers.
Jbl, polk audio, pioneer are a few that come to mind which should fall in the budget mentioned, 1-2k give or take
raghav.carfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2023, 12:06   #14
BHPian

Hey everyone, I've a few doubts regarding the ice on my 2013 ecosport trend ( without head unit)

My front left stock speaker has broken and output at high volume is crap, i want to change the front speakers to Rockford coaxials.

1) what kind of connectors do the stock speakers have? does this require cutting and taping wires or can I fit the connectors directly?

2) what size are the stock speakers?
Old 27th July 2023, 12:55   #15
VMG
BHPian

Any of you upgraded to Sync3 of Ecosport 2016 petrol automatic?
It is original Ford system( sync3) with 8 inch Sony HU and takes care all warning and error messages.
If anyone has done this, can you pl send your feedback both pros & cons.
Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks