Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2020, 09:29   #16
BANNED

Re: Honda City with Android head-unit (Rs 9,500) and Dash Cam (Rs 7,500)

Quote:
Originally Posted by city2491 View Post
It about a week since I've been using it, and it has never rebooted completely. It starts in like a second. Whatever you may be paying, radio, BT, movies, or streaming songs from Spotify, it plays after a second's gap. This is one thing I love, as my previous system took a good 30 seconds to start again every time.
I have also upgraded to android head unit (Hamaan brand, 10.1 inches) in my Honda city SV model. Everything is fine except the radio reception. It fades at times while the car is on the move. Did you find any such issues with radio reception?

As you mentioned the sound output have increased drastically. Volume at level 2 even feels like level 8 of the stock unit.
pavi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2020, 00:29   #17
BHPian

I have a similar unit. My major grouse is the slow boot up time and screen lag. With most smartphones packing 4 GB RAM and more, I simply can't stand the lags from a 1 GB setup.
iamitp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2020, 11:41   #18
BHPian

I have a similar setup in my 2006 hyundai tucson albeit with a 70mai dashcam not connected to the head unit. If you do not load it up with too many apps and choose the right launcher, you'd be surprised how efficient it can be. Make sure to remove auto update, switch off auto download and generally stay away from social media applications as much as possible.

I do have a question though. I bought a steering remote for this head unit and realized it needs a receiver to be wired behind the headunit for the remote to function. Now that I have the remote and like the buttons, I would like to understand if there is a receiver I can buy separately. If yes, what frequency and number of wires should I be looking at?
shankarbn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2020, 11:48   #19
BHPian

Quote:
UPDATE: ADDED OBD2 SCANNER

I purchased an ELM327 Bluetooth OBD scanner from Amazon for ₹599. It is used directly with Torque Pro app on the head unit. Torque Pro is a paid app for ₹250 (there is a free version available)

Features:
  • It shows real time data like RPM, Coolant temp., Vaccum etc.
  • It scans fault codes and has the ability to clear them.
  • It can log trips, 0-100 times, and other data one might be intrested in.
  • Widgets are supported, though they are a paid plugin.
  • Response is fast, and all the gauges update very quickly, just like real time.

Since this is an android head unit, it can simultaneously connect to multiple devices. Hence, it uses my phone for Music and Calls, and the OBD sensor for data.

Attachment 1956431
In my experience, connectivity and display are much better with car scanner app than Torque app. If you haven't bought the torque pro app, do consider car scanner.
Old 20th January 2020, 13:23   #20
BHPian

I have a 2GB/ 16GB variant on my swift. I have been using it since the past 7 months and am super happy with the performance.

I am using the car launcher pro .

Honda City with Android head-unit (Rs 9,500) and Dash Cam (Rs 7,500)-car-launcher-day.jpg

Night shot with a different theme of car launcher pro

Honda City with Android head-unit (Rs 9,500) and Dash Cam (Rs 7,500)-night.jpg

Gives out some intuitive data about the daily/weekly/monthly trip.

Honda City with Android head-unit (Rs 9,500) and Dash Cam (Rs 7,500)-speed.jpg

70Mai Dashcam Pro

Honda City with Android head-unit (Rs 9,500) and Dash Cam (Rs 7,500)-dashcam.jpg

70Mai dashcam pro is connected through wifi

Honda City with Android head-unit (Rs 9,500) and Dash Cam (Rs 7,500)-70mai.jpg

Google Maps is easy to use

Honda City with Android head-unit (Rs 9,500) and Dash Cam (Rs 7,500)-map.jpg

Musicolet as default music player

Honda City with Android head-unit (Rs 9,500) and Dash Cam (Rs 7,500)-musicolet.jpg

MXPlayer Pro as default video app

Honda City with Android head-unit (Rs 9,500) and Dash Cam (Rs 7,500)-mx-player.jpg

Nexflix for when those 5 minutes take forever.

Honda City with Android head-unit (Rs 9,500) and Dash Cam (Rs 7,500)-netflix.jpg

Spotify

Honda City with Android head-unit (Rs 9,500) and Dash Cam (Rs 7,500)-spotify.jpg

Torque Pro

Honda City with Android head-unit (Rs 9,500) and Dash Cam (Rs 7,500)-torque.jpg

another night shot
Honda City with Android head-unit (Rs 9,500) and Dash Cam (Rs 7,500)-car-launcher-night.jpg
lone_driver is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th January 2020, 13:31   #21
BHPian

any links to buying this deathly hallows sign ?

Dash lights off
Attachment 1955432
Old 20th January 2020, 23:42   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi View Post
. Everything is fine except the radio reception. It fades at times while the car is on the move.
Yes, this problem exists. That’s why I’ve ordered a DAB radio antenna, about which I’ll post installation when it arrives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitp View Post
I have a similar unit. My major grouse is the slow boot up time and screen lag. With most smartphones packing 4 GB RAM and more, I simply can't stand the lags from a 1 GB setup.
Browse XDA forums for launchers that won’t lag for lesser units like ours.

It does lag when you use apps that aren’t optimised for cheap processors. As we all know, these head units pack a very cheap processor from a Chinese company, that WILL lag no matter how high your RAM is. Some of them even come with a software patch that displays more RAM than there is actually present on the unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankarbn View Post
I do have a question though. I bought a steering remote for this head unit and realized it needs a receiver to be wired behind the headunit for the remote to function. Now that I have the remote and like the buttons, I would like to understand if there is a receiver I can buy separately. If yes, what frequency and number of wires should I be looking at?
It depends on the number of buttons the steering wheel has. If they are not factory fitted, wires need to be run from the clock spring. And since you can’t add wires to a clock spring, you need to buy a separate clock spring that works with these buttons. An electric expert may be able to help with this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone_driver View Post
Nexflix for when those 5 minutes take forever.
I’ve tried installing Netflix repeatedly and failed. Is it downloaded from the playstore on your head unit, or have you used an XAPK installer? Please help!

Quote:
any links to buying this deathly hallows sign ?
I got this from Comic-Con way before we even got the car for ₹100 bucks. Try your luck on Amazon or some of those T-shirt websites which sell fandom accessories, you may be able to find it.
city2491 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 08:52   #23
BHPian

Quote:
I’ve tried installing Netflix repeatedly and failed. Is it downloaded from the playstore on your head unit, or have you used an XAPK installer? Please help!

I downloaded APK files of most of the apps that I have on my system, loaded them on the flash drive and did a straightforward install through the file manager app on the Android system.

Quote:
I got this from Comic-Con way before we even got the car for ₹100 bucks. Try your luck on Amazon or some of those T-shirt websites which sell fandom accessories, you may be able to find it.
Old 21st January 2020, 17:27   #24
BHPian

Quote:
I downloaded APK files of most of the apps that I have on my system, loaded them on the flash drive and did a straightforward install through the file manager app on the Android system.
Thanks, it worked. I was trying to download the APK directly onto the device but it wasn’t working, so used a pen drive.
city2491 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 17:59   #25
BHPian

Yep, Agama Launcher has helped to some extent, but you're right that there's no way to overcome the mediocre hardware. Would be a great market for the likes of Samsung, Xiaomi or Oneplus to tap into. You can get a far more powerful Android phone for the 10K you shell out on these Headunits.

Quote:
Yes, this problem exists. That’s why I’ve ordered a DAB radio antenna, about which I’ll post installation when it arrives.

Browse XDA forums for launchers that won’t lag for lesser units like ours.

It does lag when you use apps that aren’t optimised for cheap processors. As we all know, these head units pack a very cheap processor from a Chinese company, that WILL lag no matter how high your RAM is. Some of them even come with a software patch that displays more RAM than there is actually present on the unit.

It depends on the number of buttons the steering wheel has. If they are not factory fitted, wires need to be run from the clock spring. And since you can’t add wires to a clock spring, you need to buy a separate clock spring that works with these buttons. An electric expert may be able to help with this one.

Old 21st January 2020, 18:09   #26
BHPian

Quote:
I have a 2GB/ 16GB variant on my swift. I have been using it since the past 7 months and am super happy with the performance.
Could you please share the Make / Model / URL link for your Android unit. I'm also looking for an Android HU for my Swift VXI.

Samdarshi
Old 21st January 2020, 18:26   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

That's a nice install. How is the audio quality when you play from this HU ?

Do you have pics of the unit before installation ? And can you share any pics that show the integration with the dash board (may be from the side & top) ?
Old 21st January 2020, 20:21   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Oh no it isn't very complicated at all. There are plenty of remote+receiver combos available on aliexpress that fit perfectly, both wired and wireless. The issue I have is that I bought a wireless remote and I love the layout of it. I just need a receiver for it which I hoped to bodge. I guess I should just buy a combo instead of trying to bodge it up.
Old 21st January 2020, 20:26   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
That's a nice install. How is the audio quality when you play from this HU ?

Do you have pics of the unit before installation ? And can you share any pics that show the integration with the dash board (may be from the side & top) ?
Sound quality is excellent when using apps directly on Head-Unit. Better when using Bluetooth streaming, and average when using FM radio.

This is the fitting:
Honda City with Android head-unit (Rs 9,500) and Dash Cam (Rs 7,500)-a829fb074df847e187076062c6c90c50.jpeg

Honda City with Android head-unit (Rs 9,500) and Dash Cam (Rs 7,500)-8088636c31ef42cd8900838ac182a342.jpeg

Honda City with Android head-unit (Rs 9,500) and Dash Cam (Rs 7,500)-45c03046a25d49b8b60abb6cdf90feef.jpeg

A very old picture I fished out of the old unit.
Honda City with Android head-unit (Rs 9,500) and Dash Cam (Rs 7,500)-405f4bf866c64427b1d0248415c984b8.jpeg
city2491 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2020, 09:56   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This unit is without DAB broadcast. I’ve ordered a USB DAB dongle from banggood which in theory should work with DAB Z app on Play Store. I’ll post installation and review when it arrives.
Can you shed more light on how the DAB works and what kind of radio content is available ? Also do share the details of the DAB Dongle that you have ordered - interested to take a look as I own a Foxfire 10.1 inch Android Head Unit on my City.

Quote:
8. He had no idea how to get the guidelines back.
I managed to get the Grid lines back using the Head Unit Settings which require a password to get into. The Foxfire Vendor who sold me the HU walked me thru the steps over phone and it was a matter to enabling a checkbox which was hidden in the middle of many other settings. Later I experimented and found that there are actually two variants of the grid lines and enabled a different one which looked better. This may however vary from model to model.

Quote:
It about a week since I've been using it, and it has never rebooted completely. It starts in like a second.
It was like this for the first month or so but after that it started to boot more frequently and now everyday in the morning I wait 40 to 45 seconds for the boot up.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks