Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2020, 19:22   #1
Senior - BHPian

Jaguar Land Rover develops contactless touchscreen

Jaguar Land Rover, in collaboration with the University of Cambridge, has developed a contactless touchscreen that will reduce the spread of bacteria and viruses.

Jaguar Land Rover develops contactless touchscreen-predictive-touch.jpg

The patented technology is known as 'predictive touch' and uses artificial intelligence and vision or frequency-based senors to predict a user's intended target on the touchscreen. Essentially, it enables the user to control the navigation, temperature and entertainment settings without having to touch a button.

Predictive touch can be integrated into existing touchscreens as long as the correct sensory data is available to support the machine learning algorithm.

According to Jaguar Land Rover, the new technology could reduce a driver's touchscreen interaction effort and time by up to 50%. It would also limit the spread of bacteria and viruses especially in post-pandemic times.

TusharK is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2020, 19:46   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Jaguar Land Rover develops contactless touchscreen

This might work well when the vehicle is stationary, but in a moving vehicle will it be possible to be precise enough to get close to the screen and yet not touch it? I will find it very difficult to be honest as I struggle to touch the right button when the vehicle is moving. Inevitably I end up in clicking on something else. Voice controlled navigation will be much easier I believe.
BlackPearl is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th July 2020, 07:27   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note: Thread moved to the ICE section.
Old 24th July 2020, 08:11   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post

The patented technology is known as 'predictive touch' and uses artificial intelligence and vision or frequency-based senors to predict a user's intended target on the touchscreen. Essentially, it enables the user to control the navigation, temperature and entertainment settings without having to touch a button.
Isn't this similar to gesture control by BMW. If I recall correctly it was launched 4 years ago.

mac187 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2020, 10:17   #5
Senior - BHPian

Contactless. Then why call it a touchscreen?

Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th July 2020, 12:22   #6
BHPian

Doesn't sound particularly promising. Visual recognition in general is way more challenging than vocal recognition.

Nearly every major brand which tried visual recognition has failed, the most recent example being pixel phones' hand gesture control. On the other hand the hottest new innovations for the past five years have been the remarkably accurate and useful home smart devices which rely on vocal recognition like Amazon Alexa and Google home.

I think the reason is physics - deciphering 3D movement in real time is significantly more challenging from a computational perspective then deciphering audio waves.

Car manufacturers would be much better off switching to audio recognition for hands-free control in their vehicles and letting the giants like Amazon or Google handle the actual recognition. In a compact environment of a car where you can fit in multiple mics, getting the sound isn't hard; the difficult part is having enough data to then decipher it and make sense of what the user wants to achieve. I just do not see any car manufacturer having enough data on their own to be able to make a fantastic voice assistant.
iamitp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2020, 15:04   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Another example of inventing a nuke for a cockroach infestation! As a technical POC & achievement surely commendable but this doesn't seem realistically usable in a car. Especially - I feel its unsafe. Already pure touch systems without physical buttons are hazardous as one has to take off eyes from the road to control them. Add a variable of trying to work with precise gestures into it.

Getting this technology perfected would be far harder than simply making the voice commands and associated AI assistant cognitive. Simply pay a few million dollars to Google or Amazon & they'll make a solid assistant customized for each car maker to control absolutely all possible settings with simple interactive conversation.
Old 24th July 2020, 15:28   #8
Senior - BHPian

The limitation of this compared to voice recognition is that you can select from only top, in display menus. With voice you can access everything in sub-menu kind of things.
You could speak and check if the right thing pops up on screen discreetly instead of taking time with this device.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks