Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2020, 16:36   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Parking an iPod in your dash - Pros & Cons

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
As an audiophile, I would suggest going for LG as they have their quad-dac technology which by itself is quite good at driving headphones and of-course, as I said above, can be supplemented by external DAC/AMPS. You can go for both previous generation as well as current generation LG phones like the G7, V30, G8, V40 etc. and of-course these can be bought for cheap in the second hand market, if one just wants to experiment and doesn't want to spend too much.
Been using LG phones for their Quad DAC feature for some time now. Right from v20 i think Now it's the v40 and that with a 512gig sd card, it's perfect for music on the go. I have a cd tray mount for the phone and well the phone is front and center of my car music needs Gotten used to connecting the aux cable every single time...
deathwalkr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 16:54   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by viXit View Post
is the ambient noise like the honks and engines from outside not a bother?
What kind of damping do you have in your car?

When you meant, switch the iPhones with the primary pair, you meant, as your primary phone right? I was talking about contacts, photos apps etc on the phone.

So your FLAC/WavPack files are not on your iPhones?

With the Samsung note, you wouldn’t even have to bother importing your music to iTunes and syncing your phone, just copy paste like a USB Drive. I think you’ll find it easier.

I think the Fiio M11 pro would be really nice. It has up to 2TB of storage. It’s spec sheet, only you can understand

Could you share some pictures of these cars for us, please!
Of course ambient noise matters. But I have learned to deal with it. Even the best damping is not going to remove all ambient noise. Besides my chauffer would need to hear the horns and traffic.

Noise cancelling headphones have gotten better (the new Sony XM4, Bose 700, Sennheiser Momentum 3, Beyer Dynamic Lagoon, B&W PX7 etc) but are still not as good as an equally priced open air headphone.

I use old iPhones as iPods. They are not equipped with SIM cards. They are simply used as iTunes compatible media devices. I use ALAC on the iPhones only. For other use I used FLAC or WavPack.

If I could understand how to make "playlists" on a Samsung phone or FiiO M11 Pro with 1TB of storage I would not even need to use ALAC.

My current cars are a 2012 Camry (mine) and a 2019 Corolla (wife's). The Scamp served me in college (in NY), the Spit during my days in LA and the Javelin was used for a few months as I transitioned from NY to LA. I live in India now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numb_Locked View Post
But the compatibility with iPod is like a marriage made in heaven.

It's stuck with 20GB of music from the last successful sync. what am I missing here? many seem to have found a work around it?
Have you tried restoring the iPod?

Quote:
For example, I am using a somewhat powerful, extremely portable, non-mainstream DAC - The E1DA 9038s. It provides 37mW at 300ohms which is quite good enough to drive my HD650, but requires balanced cable.

Many Fiio players, from the lowly M3 Pro, support upto 2TB cards. However, there are phones from Asus and LG that also support 2TB cards.

As an audiophile, I would suggest going for LG as they have their quad-dac technology which by itself is quite good at driving headphones and of-course, as I said above, can be supplemented by external DAC/AMPS.

You can go for both previous generation as well as current generation LG phones like the G7, V30, G8, V40 etc. and of-course these can be bought for cheap in the second hand market, if one just wants to experiment and doesn't want to spend too much.
The ES9038PRO SABRE is an awesome DAC!

Thanks a lot. This is a lot of information for me to digest.

Could you recommend 1 or 2 phones from this long list? Are these LG phones better than the FiiO players? If so from the FiiO models shown below, which would you choose?

https://www.fiio.co.in/collections/m...s-music-player

https://www.fiio.co.in/collections/m...s-music-player

Last edited by navin : 16th September 2020 at 17:03.
Old 16th September 2020, 18:43   #33
Senior - BHPian

@Navin, not sure of how the DAC comes into play in the Fiio, but in the LG the DAC works only via the headphone port.

And there are three DAC modes which get selected based on the output device. Normal, External and High Impedance. In my car, it activates external mode. On the other hand, it picks up my sony headphone as a high impedance device and triggers that mode.

You also get to set filters and volume levels [L&R]. I keep the volume level at 50% which lets me push the volume on the car stereo higher.

My only gripe with the phone is the lack of s/w updates LG is infamous for.
Old 16th September 2020, 21:43   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Noise-cancelling headphones have gotten better (the new Sony XM4, Bose 700, Sennheiser Momentum 3, Beyer Dynamic Lagoon, B&W PX7 etc) but are still not as good as an equally priced open air headphone.
Could you give us your take on these headphones.
It would be very valuable coming from you.

Quote:
If I could understand how to make "playlists" on a Samsung phone or FiiO M11 Pro with 1TB of storage I would not even need to use ALAC.
It's pretty simple actually, if I'm understanding you well.

Open your playlist on iTunes
Select all the songs in the playlist. Ctrl+A
Right click > Copy
Open your destination folder and paste.
I just tried it.
It works.
Just create folders with playlist names.
Parking an iPod in your dash - Pros & Cons-process.gif
(Click on image to view GIF)

Or you can export your playlists as xml files. not sure which phones can read those.

What device do you use for FLAC and WavPack files?
since it's not on an iPhone, it will be stored somewhere outside iTunes right?
just copy them.

Quote:
The ES9038PRO SABRE is an awesome DAC!
Which DACs are using this chip? I couldn't find any.
Quote:

Could you recommend 1 or 2 phones from this long list? Are these LG phones better than the FiiO players? If so from the FiiO models shown below, which would you choose?
Do you plan to use an external DAC with whatever device you buy?
If you are, then I don't think you should bother choosing. Just buy whatever phone you think is better, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numb_Locked View Post
All this talk about iPod Classic has got me on the edge of my seat. In hindsight I'm struggling to sync my 80GB with a modern day Windows 10 computer since apple gave up support for it, It's stuck with 20GB of music from the last successful sync. what am I missing here? many seem to have found a work around it?

Pointers appreciated.
I can't seem to figure out what's wrong with your iPod or iTunes,
I just downloaded iTunes on windows 10 to check a few things, it's working flawlessly.
Parking an iPod in your dash - Pros & Cons-itunes.jpg

Last edited by Sheel : 3rd October 2020 at 16:45. Reason: As requested.
Old 17th September 2020, 13:16   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
@Navin, not sure of how the DAC comes into play in the Fiio, but in the LG the DAC works only via the headphone port.
I don't know much about LG phones. But with iPhones, you can connect a DAC or DAC/AMP to the small "lightning" port at the bottom of the phone.

Quote:
Could you give us your take on these headphones.
It would be very valuable coming from you.

What device do you use for FLAC and WavPack files?
since it's not on an iPhone, it will be stored somewhere outside iTunes right?
just copy them.

Do you plan to use an external DAC with whatever device you buy?
I will reserve my comments to the ones I have seen or used.
1. Sony XM3 - good noise cancelling but too heavy in the bass to be neutral and the bass actually distracts from the rest of the music as it is there in quantity but not in quality. Limited space so the ears get hot after a while. Closed back headphones all have this issue.

2. Sennheiser Momentum 3 - awesome sound quality and good space so the ears don't heat up as much but limited noise cancelling. Not useful in a noisy Starbucks.

3. Sennheiser 550 - super VFM and good space. It would be the headphone to recommend BUT it has a mini USB. In 2020? a Mini USB. My old eyes cant tell which to insert the plug. If it has USB C I would buy this. Sound quality is not as good as Momentum but better than XM3 (at least it is more neutral).

4. Lagoon - again a great headphone to recommend. It even has USB C BUT you can hear a white noise hiss if ANC is on and there are very quiet passages. That hiss is irritating. I don't want to switch ANC off and on every time a quiet passage comes. And also if my old ears can hear this hiss I wonder how irritating it would be younger ears.

5. PX7 - Good sound quality but heck they are so tight. The tightness and lack of room (compared to the Momentum and 550) make them uncomfortable for long flights. Also the arms have weak spots. I know at least one that broke fortunately before the 12 month warranty wore out. A month later and my friend would have had to buy a new pair.

6. Bose 700 - Same as Sony XM3. Killer noise cancelling but mediocre sound quality. That said the Bose are not overly bass heavy like the XM3. But when you compare them to the PX7 or Momentum they are bleh. Heck the 550 at a lower cost beats them too. Bose does nothing badly but nothing exceptionally either. Also for decades now, Bose has been THE headphone pilots use and for this only, I would recommend them for frequent flyers. Just do not expect audiophile sound quality from them. If the Momentums were more compact, they would be my first choice. Their noise cancelling is not so bad for engine hum. But they are huge and the carrying case is soft so you don't get any protection. The Momentum case is not crazy huge like the Shure Aonic 50 but when you are travelling every inch counts and Bose has got the most compact case.

XM4 - I have not heard.

Ananda BT - I have not heard but it does not have ANC is is really too big to be portable anyway. I don't consider the Deva to be good VFM. Besides that added ANC module hanging of the side looks ugly. That said with it's open back design it would heat up less and would be fantastic for long flights.

So what am I using for ANC? Audeze Mobius. The Momentums and PX7 trump it in sound quality but they came later. Also with a dedicated microphone boom they are brilliant for Zoom calls. The down side is I look like an MTNL telephone operator (no offence to MTNL telephone operators). You know the operators from the days when we had to book "trunk" calls to call outside India?

My FLAC/WavPack files are on dedicated media players. TBHP member Ajay Kamath designed and built a media player about 10 years ago (I have both the prototypes). The first version was based around an Intel chip and Openelec / Kodi. The new version is based on Android and a ARM processors.

You can find Ajay Kamath's media player here
http://soundsgoodav.in/networkedavsolutions.html

I assumed from the name that the E1DA 9038s uses the ESS ES9038PRO chip. I can remember that there is at least one other DAC that uses it but the name escapes my senile mind now. I will post it when I remember.

I have 2 use cases for a portable media player.

1. In the glove compartment of my car
2. In the back seat of my car.

In the first case I will use the DAC of the HU and in the second case I will use a single DAC/AMP unit to power my headphones.

Last edited by navin : 17th September 2020 at 13:28.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 13:44   #36
BHPian

Quote:
I don't know much about LG phones. But with iPhones, you can connect a DAC or DAC/AMP to the small "lightning" port at the bottom of the phone.
You can connect any USB DAC to android phones and Fiio players with the USB C port on the phone/player.
If your DAC doesn’t have a usb C port, the Normal usb typeA to Type C charger of the phone can be used. Just like in an iPhone

Quote:

I will reserve my comments to the ones I have seen or used..

I have 2 use cases for a portable media player.

1. In the glove compartment of my car
2. In the back seat of my car.

In the first case I will use the DAC of the HU and in the second case I will use a single DAC/AMP unit to power my headphones.
Thank you so much for the help.

Regarding the phone/Fiio choice,
IMHO you should pick up a Samsung note because it’s better than the LG and Fiio players as a device and can also house your SIM card.

And since you plan to use a dedicated external DAC please don’t compare the DACs, because the Fiio will come first. Then the LG, then the Samsung.

I promise you, migrating your playlists will be a breeze.
Managing them will be even easier than on iPhones.
viXit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 13:58   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
You can connect any USB DAC to android phones and Fiio players with the USB C port on the phone/player.

And since you plan to use a dedicated external DAC please don’t compare the DACs, because the Fiio will come first. Then the LG, then the Samsung.

I promise you, migrating your playlists will be a breeze.
Managing them will be even easier than on iPhones.
Another TBHPIan (rdst_1) is walking me through this. So thanks to both of you. Should I get a Fiio M3 Pro or M6? The later has BT and WiFi as well. The M3 uses the same DAC as some LG phones (9218?). This DAC has a built in headphone amp.

I am sorry but I am such a newbie when it comes to technology. I don't understand Facebook or Instagram either.

Apparently I have topless picture of myself on my Linked in page. I don't know how or where. I did not even know topless pictures were not permitted on Linked in. but I can understand the disgust (a fat pot bellied old man is the last thing anyone wants to see sans shirt).

Last edited by navin : 17th September 2020 at 14:09.
Old 17th September 2020, 16:36   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Another TBHPIan (rdst_1) is walking me through this. So thanks to both of you.
You're very welcome, Sir. {Aaaah the validation!}
Quote:
Should I get a Fiio M3 Pro or M6? The later has BT and WiFi as well. The M3 uses the same DAC as some LG phones (9218?). This DAC has a built in headphone amp.
I couldn't comment on the DAC of the two. I was under the assumption that it wouldn't matter since you use an external DAC anyway. Both of them sound so good that I wouldn't ever know what to complain about. The M3 pro sounds a little brighter and has no custom EQ, just some presets like rock, pop , jazz etc.
Here's a pretty detailed review of the fiio m3 pro.
He uses HD600s too And says that he's able to power them to much louder volumes than he could normally on other DACs.

I would probably go for the m6 because of the added functionality that comes with Android and Wi-Fi.
You could wirelessly transfer your library over with apps like filezilla.Bluetooth is nice It wouldn't matter for you, I guess, since you don't want to use it wirelessly.
So I would recommend the m3 pro for you.
Quote:
I am sorry but I am such a newbie when it comes to technology. I don't understand Facebook or Instagram either.

Apparently I have topless picture of myself on my Linked in page. I don't know how or where. I did not even know topless pictures were not permitted on Linked in. but I can understand the disgust (a fat pot bellied old man is the last thing anyone wants to see sans shirt).
Wow, how did that get there??
viXit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 16:44   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If your DAC doesn’t have a usb C port, the Normal usb typeA to Type C charger of the phone can be used. Just like in an iPhone
LG flagships come with a dedicated DAC anyway. Lesser devices, lesser headache

https://thecluelessaudiophile.com/lg...on-the-planet/

But if you don't plan on using it as your primary device, then get a dedicated dap. Me? i'm stuck with the v40 till they release the v60 here :(
Old 17th September 2020, 17:22   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The M3 pro sounds a little brighter and has no custom EQ, just some presets like rock, pop , jazz etc. So I would recommend the m3 pro for you.

Wow, how did that get there??
I just ordered a pair of M3 Pros from FiiO. Lets see how this goes. Wireless is foreign to me. I use Wifi on my iPad to play games. Thats it.

I don't know my linked in account. I must have been playing with my phone and somehow set whatever picture was sent to me as my profile pic. I believe we were playing hand ball in a pool in Goa when this happened. Anyway at my age no one uses Linked in and if anyone does use it, they wont care. My nephews and nieces were mighty embarrassed though. Never accept my FB invites. One time I sent an invite to all my niece's friends. They figured "nice uncle, as sent us invite we cant say no" so suddenly I had 100s of young friends. Then my niece had to call all her friends and ask them to delete me.

My friends and peer group still use land lines to call each other. Only when we need to Zoom or Facetime we use mobiles (and this is only done by prior appointment). So many times I have left my mobile in my car overnight and have never missed a thing that is important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
LG flagships come with a dedicated DAC anyway. Lesser devices, lesser headache
LG phones like iPhones offer a lot of functionality that you do not need if you are using the device as a dedicated portable a media player.

The FiiO M3 Pro is just what one needs. Add a 512 GB card and you have a media player with 512GB of storage for about 15k.

Last edited by navin : 17th September 2020 at 17:29.
Old 17th September 2020, 17:35   #41
BHPian

Quote:
I just ordered a pair of M3 Pros from FiiO. Lets see how this goes.
That was fast! congratulations!
What memory cards did you choose?
Quote:
I don't know my linked in account. I must have been playing with my phone and somehow set whatever picture was sent to me as my profile pic. I believe we were playing hand ball in a pool in Goa when this happened.
BUt who created the account in the first place
Quote:
So many times I have left my mobile in my car overnight and have never missed a thing that is important.
My generation would go mad if that happened to them. The world seems to revolve around our phones nowadays.

OT: Have you used electrostatic IEMs or Speakers?? How do they sound. I've heard people say they're incredible at accuracy.

Last edited by viXit : 17th September 2020 at 17:36.
Old 17th September 2020, 23:27   #42
BHPian

Quote:

I have the E1DA 9038S and it uses the ESS 9038Q2M and not the Pro. The DAC I have has cult following and is designed by a russian guy based out of China. The DAC was less than $80 when I bought it in Jan this year and can easily power my HD 650 providing 37mW of power at 300 ohms.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...-dac-amp.8424/
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/e1da...-hptoy.915835/

I learned about this dac from another forum and am really thankful to the guy who told me about this and saved me a lot of money as I was about to spend around 25k on an iFI dac.
rdst_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 10:41   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
That was fast! congratulations!
What memory cards did you choose?

BUt who created the account in the first place My generation would go mad if that happened to them. The world seems to revolve around our phones nowadays.

OT: Have you used electrostatic IEMs or Speakers?? How do they sound. I've heard people say they're incredible at accuracy.
I am not good at google. I just ordered what SD cards Amazon recommended. They were Rs. 7600 each.

I learn by getting my hands dirty. It is expensive but then so is a good school. I have to thank my dad for this. I was about 12-13 years old and I had to be rushed to the hospital for an emergency appendix operation. Now previous to this my dad and his sister had already got me hooked on music and photography (they used to develop their film at home). My dad was flying for work (and to meet his sister) to the US and asked me as I was being wheeled to the OT what I wanted from the US and I said "a stereo system". He made a deal. He will get me a tape deck if I build the amp and speakers. By the time he came back I had learned to solder and by the end of summer I had a working stereo with a 8W/ch amplifier and a 3 way speaker using Philips drivers.

I think I did but I don't know how. Someone told me do this and do that. Then they took a pic of me for my page and I forgot all about it till the kids found my page and were amused by my pic. "Uncle that is a site for professionals and job seekers, you cant put naked pics on that site". Heck I care. No one is gonna hire me anyway. Even harvesting my body for usable organs might prove futile.

I have not heard any electrostatic IEMs. I avoid IEMs as I have some partial hearing loss in one ear from bad IEMs when I was in a band in the 80s. I have heard plenty of electrostatic and planar speakers (and one headphone aka Stax) and my current headphones at my desk at work are planar.

Quote:
I have the E1DA 9038S and it uses the ESS 9038Q2M and not the Pro.
Thanks for the clarification.

On this business of sorting a music collection how does one sort a music collection (currently I have it in playlists as well as Artist/Album/Song) for media players like the Aune X5s?
https://www.aune-store.com/de/x5s-p5686/

Anyone used this device?

Last edited by navin : 18th September 2020 at 10:54.
Old 20th September 2020, 16:08   #44
BHPian

Quote:
..... and my current headphones at my desk at work are planar.
That itself says a lot.
Thanks
Old 21st September 2020, 12:39   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
That itself says a lot.
Thanks
I implore everyone to use their own ears.

There are several dynamic driver headphones (for example Focal and Senheisser 600/800 series) that are as good as planar headphones.
https://www.focal.com/en/headphones-...hones/for-home

It is not one technology that is better than the other.

I also have several dynamic driver headphones including the 660, K712, DT880, etc. In fact I have many more dynamic driver headphones than planar (including several pairs of 880 and 712). Just that in the office the Sundara's (driven by a K5 Pro) sound nice at low volume so I can still hear the phone ringing or if anyone comes into my room.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks