Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2007, 14:08   #1
BANNED

Help on Computer Speaker Connection

Hi Guru's

Have a question for the Computer experts as well as the audio guru's. Is it possible to connect 2 sets of speakers to a comp for example a 5.1 & 2.1 setup in seperate rooms connected to the same comp.

I'll get a bit more specific with the details.

Will be installing a Altec Lansing GT 5051R in my hall connected to my TV & DVD player.RPTECHINDIA.COM

Will be using Altec Lansing ATP 3 for my bedroom. The computer will be installed in my bedroom. Current soundcard is on board and I obviously will need a new one.

I will have no audio player in the hall and wish to use my comp in the bedroom to play music in the hall. Is this possible and what do I need to get in order to do the same. Wanted something like Chanel A for hall Channel B for bedroom option.

An early reply is appreciated as I need to do the wiring accordingly.

Thanks,

Viper

PS - Mods sorry for the double post in Gadget section as well, not sure where to post this query.
Old 30th March 2007, 14:29   #2
Senior - BHPian

you will need another card if you want to use both. But I doubt if you can use both at the SAME time.

nice choice of speakers.

or maybe you can have one media player to play using one SC and the other to use one SC. emm.interesting.
Old 30th March 2007, 14:37   #3
BHPian

Viper i have a couple of solutions

1. If you are going to wire it across all the way then there is a Switch that will let you control playing music in Zones. Zone 1 Can be your bed room , Zone 2 can be living room etc.

Look at this for ideas Speaker Selectors & Distributors at Crutchfield.com

2. Buy an apple air tunes or similar WIfi Streaming solution. Install a wifi Card in comp and stream music to the Hall. Connect the speakers to either a Amp or a DVD player or a Equipment that will take the Audio in and make it 5.1 and play it.

Advantage of Apple solution is in future you can upgrade by components and buy Apple TV solution to stream Video to your TV etc
Old 30th March 2007, 14:43   #4
BHPian

Two sound cards same time?. Have not heard may be IRQ's an issue. And the software (media player) should support / select both.

May be feed output of SC to an external AMP has two channels?.
Old 30th March 2007, 15:56   #5
Team-BHP Support

Viper, you cant install 2 sound cards at the same time not on most standard motherboards.

also since you are switching a low level signal (I assume the speakers you are installing are self-amplifed) you'd have to get a good switcher becuase noise can easily creep in at this point.

one option could be to get a preamp and use that as a switcher (will work for stereo only).
Old 30th March 2007, 16:00   #6
BHPian

A Desi Way

Use a divider (One input and two outputs). if u dont be able to find it then go to any local electronic repair shop and tell that you want two outputs from one jack on computer. he will surely make one for you without compromising on sound quality..

Hope you succeed.

Last edited by NOTORIOUS : 30th March 2007 at 16:12. Reason: mistake
Old 30th March 2007, 16:19   #7
Senior - BHPian

you can configure them as rear and front channel...and there would surely a software in which you can play different sounds on the front and the rear channel.............
Old 30th March 2007, 16:23   #8
BHPian

Hi,
Also, if you need 2 outputs, im sure your pc will have an onboard sound chip, keep that enabled and add in a soundcard (creative sb live or audigy 2 value) and you have 2 soundcards for your use! I have done the same on my previous machine (onboard nvidia soundstorm + audigy es).
Good luck!

post edited by Navin

Last edited by navin : 31st March 2007 at 10:32.
Old 30th March 2007, 16:38   #9
BHPian

LBM, Viper's mentioned a 5.1 setup - so this option won't be possible.

You could always try to get an external - (USB/Firewire) sound card and see if that solution works. AFAIK, wIth two PCI/onboard sound devices, Windows will either refuse to play any sound at all or choose one sound card and disable the other.

If you do shift to a lower version of windows - 98 and below - you could possibly get both to work by manually assigning seperate IRQ's to both - even then I'm not too sure iof this will work.

Try postiing in some PC audio/gaming forum and see what advice you get.

cheers

zaphod
Old 30th March 2007, 16:47   #10
Senior - BHPian

two sound card on one PC cannot work.....

but a 7.1 can work as 5.1 + 2 which means it can play 5.1 in one room and 2 channels in one room.....I think it is possible and worth a try...

other wise Navin Ji method is the best option one can have....but then one can loose the 5.1......
Old 30th March 2007, 17:08   #11
BANNED

Hi Guys,

Won't a external speaker selector do like Sreedotk suggested or can I take output from the GT 5051R. Listing below some features of the speakers which I did not clearly understand as I have not yet purchased them and could not get a look of the connection side.

"Use the 2/4 Channel Mode to enjoy immersive six speaker sound from any source CD players, MP3 players, or your standard 2 or 4 channel sound card."

"Multiple Input Options Connect a computer, a portable audio device, and a DVD, TV or Gaming Console all at the same time."

If not possible then I can always use them both seperately and use an Ipod or my DVD player for music. Ideally I would like to use the comp since I have approx 60GB of music stored on it.

Viper

Last edited by viper : 30th March 2007 at 17:09.
Old 30th March 2007, 18:02   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper View Post
Hi Guys,

Won't a external speaker selector do like Sreedotk suggested or can I take output from the GT 5051R. Listing below some features of the speakers which I did not clearly understand as I have not yet purchased them and could not get a look of the connection side.

"Use the 2/4 Channel Mode to enjoy immersive six speaker sound from any source CD players, MP3 players, or your standard 2 or 4 channel sound card."

"Multiple Input Options Connect a computer, a portable audio device, and a DVD, TV or Gaming Console all at the same time."

If not possible then I can always use them both seperately and use an Ipod or my DVD player for music. Ideally I would like to use the comp since I have approx 60GB of music stored on it.

Viper
Hi Viper, you dont need an external speaker selector, you need an external input selector if you want to switch between the two speaker systems or play both simultaneously without powering of either of the two speaker systems. This would be a switch similar to those used on car audio demo boards used for switching between two amplifiers running off the same pair of pre-outs of a head unit.

Whoever said two sound cards dont work on one machine? Of course they do. I use MixVibes Pro V for DJ ing with my PC and I use the onboard sound card for monitoring and another additional sound card for the main out. However using two soundcards will not solve Viper's problem since as far as my knowledge goes, a media player like winamp can be set to output through one sound card at a time only.

The simplest solution for Viper is to use a signal splitter and make 2 stsero outputs from the one on the soundcard and supply to both speaker sets.

EDIT: I just noticed that one of the speakers is a 5.1. In which case, it will depend on which soundcard you are getting. Do you plan to use the digital output or 6 analog outputs? Some of these have a seperate stereo analog output also.

Last edited by Bass&Trouble : 30th March 2007 at 18:07.
Old 30th March 2007, 18:12   #13
BHPian

Normally every onboard soundcard has three sockets.
Use a divider for the middle green socket which by default handles the front speakers of the 5.1 system in the 5.1 mode configuration.
since the amplification is primarily done by the inbuilt amplifier of the speakers and not by the souncard there will not be noticable diffference in perfomance.However if you connect the speakers using the divider in 5.1 mode there would be a slight loss in bass of the atp3 since it would be treated as a front speaker and hence there will be a loss in bass.Better to connect it in 2.1 mode of the soundcard (using the divider) since all music available(except dvd audio) is encoded in 2.1 and not in 5.1.The 2/5 channel option is for listening to music as I earlier mentioned most of is in 2.1(stereo) encoding so switching on the 2 channel mode will allow you to experience 2.1 music in 2.1 mode since in 5.1 mode there can be a little loss in quality and switching the speaker to 5 channel mode will allow you to watch dvd movies.if you have not bought the speakers I would recommend a fx 5051 5.1altec lansing instead which may end your headache as it connects via usb.so you can connect the 5.1. via usb .and the atp3 to the standard soundcard.also fx 5051 has better quality sound primarily due to high rms and two 5.25 subwoofers within the same encolsure instead of one for the gt 5051.
Old 30th March 2007, 20:04   #14
BHPian

Viper, you could also try getting a professional level sound card but then the cost factor would be a bit too high - it might actually work out cheaper throwing together a small form factor box with el cheapo components and use it as an entertainment center.
Turtle Beach used to make some of the best stuff around but i haven't checked up on their products in years - have a look - also check out the newer SB's and see if any offers the functionality you require.

If you don't want 2 seperate music streams but are happy with one then a simple Y-splitter might do the trick.

If you haven't bought the speakers yet- I would recommend the VS4121 over the ATP3 any day - or if you want the best (the best 2.1's i've heard, that is), get the FX6021(around 7k IIRC) - awesome is the word to describe those speakers.
Can't recommend anything for 5.1 as I've always only looked into 2.1 systems.

best of luck

zaphod
Old 30th March 2007, 20:15   #15
BANNED

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the suggestions keep them coming. As far as the spkrs go I already have the ATP 3's lying with me. Its the 5.1 that I need to buy.

@revvedup - the reason I chose the GT 5051 R is because of the cost factor. I still need to buy a good sound card as well so suggestions needed for that as well. Nothing too expensive please getting the GT 5051 for 7k and the FX 5051 for 11.5k.

Viper

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks