Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2021, 20:46   #16
BHPian

re: Maruti Baleno ICE Upgrade: Alpine HU, Morel Components, Gladen M10 Subwoofer, Audison SR-4 and more

Thanks for the detailed description, Dr. Naren.
Question: does the sound damping and/or speaker upgrade impact the vehicle warranty?
The Nexa sales guy told me any wiring change would automatically void it.
Old 19th February 2021, 20:53   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Maruti Baleno ICE Upgrade: Alpine HU, Morel Components, Gladen M10 Subwoofer, Audison SR-4 and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Sammy View Post
Thanks for the detailed description, Dr. Naren.
Question: does the sound damping and/or speaker upgrade impact the vehicle warranty?
The Nexa sales guy told me any wiring change would automatically void it.
I don't think the entire vehicle warranty would be void. It doesn't make any sense. My car is anyways out of warranty now. I had installed after market projector headlights during warranty period but that didn't result in voiding warranty for suspension and steering column .
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2021, 01:45   #18
BHPian

That's a neat setup. I am sure it sounds fantastic now. A good audio upgrade uplifts the driving experience multi-fold, and equally important is to get it done at a proper shop.
I did a very minor (dimming irvm + dash cam hard wire, both of which were purchased separately) job from Galaxy Cochin 3 years ago and even though the job was worth just a few hundred bucks for labour, the workmanship and attention to detail was impeccable.
The plus side, Muneem is a car enthusiast himself and we had a good long chat about possible audio upgrade options at 2 to 3 price points.

Any reason why the amp was mounted below the seat and not in the boot, probably strapped to the back of the seat, if not the boot floor? Reason I ask is because that's where it tends to gather most dust and its not the best ventilated location, especially if floor mats end up covering it up.
McLaren Roxx is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2021, 08:56   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Roxx View Post
That's a neat setup. I am sure it sounds fantastic now. A good audio upgrade uplifts the driving experience multi-fold, and equally important is to get it done at a proper shop.
I second that

Quote:
Any reason why the amp was mounted below the seat and not in the boot, probably strapped to the back of the seat, if not the boot floor? Reason I ask is because that's where it tends to gather most dust and its not the best ventilated location, especially if floor mats end up covering it up.
I don't think ventilation / heating would be an issue. This is a Class D amp and doesn't get really hot even after playing music for couple of hours. Also the amplifier is very compact and got enough space around it under the passenger seat. I am not sure about extra dust accumulation under the seat affecting the amplifier.
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2021, 10:04   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
don't think ventilation / heating would be an issue. This is a Class D amp and doesn't get really hot even after playing music for couple of hours. Also the amplifier is very compact and got enough space around it under the passenger seat. I am not sure about extra dust accumulation under the seat affecting the amplifier.
I have a JBL 4 Channel Amp sitting below the copax seat in my WagonR since 2007 and doing duty without any overheating issues. In fact under the seat is also a very popular placement location for Amplifier apart from the boot. I don't think you need to worry much in this regard.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th March 2021, 18:37   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Recorded a video to give an idea about SQ. It doesn't really do full justice to the actual experience

Old 23rd April 2022, 21:28   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

More Audio Goodies added

Alpine iLX-W650E

I got this HU from Motorogue during price drop for Rs. 24,500. It was a good deal. I also bought after market steering control interface for Alpine from the same seller. The cost was Rs. 3500.

https://www.motorogue.in/alpine-ilx-w650e.html

https://www.motorogue.in/steering-wh...or-alpine.html

Alpine is well known for good SQ and the interface is user friendly. Capacitive touchscreen is a bonus at this price.

Quick look at specs and features

Maruti Baleno ICE Upgrade: Alpine HU, Morel Components, Gladen M10 Subwoofer,  Audison SR-4 and more-img_20220423_201546.jpg

Maruti Baleno ICE Upgrade: Alpine HU, Morel Components, Gladen M10 Subwoofer,  Audison SR-4 and more-img_20220423_203528.jpg

http://www.alpine-asia.com/en/productDetail/92

I would definitely miss the wireless android auto, but too much to ask for at this price.

I also purchased stereo frame (1k) and Blaupunkt DH05 reverse camera (2.5k) from Motorogue. The package was shipped immediately and delivered in 2 days.

Maruti Baleno ICE Upgrade: Alpine HU, Morel Components, Gladen M10 Subwoofer,  Audison SR-4 and more-img_20220213_115600.jpg

Alpine HU

Maruti Baleno ICE Upgrade: Alpine HU, Morel Components, Gladen M10 Subwoofer,  Audison SR-4 and more-img_20220213_115152__01.jpg

Maruti Baleno ICE Upgrade: Alpine HU, Morel Components, Gladen M10 Subwoofer,  Audison SR-4 and more-img_20220213_115206.jpg

Maruti Baleno ICE Upgrade: Alpine HU, Morel Components, Gladen M10 Subwoofer,  Audison SR-4 and more-img_20220213_140320.jpg

Maruti Baleno ICE Upgrade: Alpine HU, Morel Components, Gladen M10 Subwoofer,  Audison SR-4 and more-img_20220213_140541.jpg

Maruti Baleno ICE Upgrade: Alpine HU, Morel Components, Gladen M10 Subwoofer,  Audison SR-4 and more-img_20220423_204204.jpg

Steering control interface and Antenna pin

Maruti Baleno ICE Upgrade: Alpine HU, Morel Components, Gladen M10 Subwoofer,  Audison SR-4 and more-img_20220213_120014.jpg

Stereo frame

Maruti Baleno ICE Upgrade: Alpine HU, Morel Components, Gladen M10 Subwoofer,  Audison SR-4 and more-img_20220213_120653__01.jpg

Blaupunkt DH05 reverse camera

Maruti Baleno ICE Upgrade: Alpine HU, Morel Components, Gladen M10 Subwoofer,  Audison SR-4 and more-img_20220213_115214.jpg

Maruti Baleno ICE Upgrade: Alpine HU, Morel Components, Gladen M10 Subwoofer,  Audison SR-4 and more-img_20220213_115230.jpg

Maruti Baleno ICE Upgrade: Alpine HU, Morel Components, Gladen M10 Subwoofer,  Audison SR-4 and more-img_20220213_121030.jpg

So the parts were ready and I wanted a neat installation. That means a road trip to Kochi and get everything installed at Galaxy

I also decided to get the 3 way front stage done. Galaxy had a set of Morel CCWR254 mid range speakers.

Maruti Baleno ICE Upgrade: Alpine HU, Morel Components, Gladen M10 Subwoofer,  Audison SR-4 and more-img_20220217_124835.jpg

Maruti Baleno ICE Upgrade: Alpine HU, Morel Components, Gladen M10 Subwoofer,  Audison SR-4 and more-img_20220217_124843.jpg

Maruti Baleno ICE Upgrade: Alpine HU, Morel Components, Gladen M10 Subwoofer,  Audison SR-4 and more-img_20220217_124906.jpg

The speakers didn't come with grill and Galaxy did some custom work using some old speaker grills.

Ok, so how to run the 3 way setup ? I do not have DSP and the HU too doesn't support 3 way x-over mode.

We tried running the setup using a generic 3 way passive cross over. I wasn't happy with the outcome as the frequency cut off was not proper. Tweeters and mid range used to play same frequencies. I almost decided to get a DSP, but Muneem had other plans. He put an Audison SR-4 amplifier which has multiple adjustments and the 2 way cross over of Morel Tempo was used for splitting the frequency better tweeter and mid range.

A pillar fabrication with custom pods for new mid range speakers were done. Tweeters were retained at stock position. All parts were installed and I got the car back next day. Good job as always.

Current Setup:

1. Alpine iLX-W650E Head Unit
2. Morel Tempo Mid bass and Tweeters
3. Morel CCWR254 Mid range
4. Gladen M10 Subwoofer
5. Pioneer GM-D8704 Amplifier for sub and mid bass
6. Audison SR-4 Amplifier for Tweeters and Mid range (this is an used amp with only 2 channels working, but serves the purpose)

I have plans to go active in my S-Cross setup and the Elate Titanium 3 way cross-overs would be installed in Baleno.

Few pics of Alpine HU

Maruti Baleno ICE Upgrade: Alpine HU, Morel Components, Gladen M10 Subwoofer,  Audison SR-4 and more-img_20220312_163442.jpg

Maruti Baleno ICE Upgrade: Alpine HU, Morel Components, Gladen M10 Subwoofer,  Audison SR-4 and more-img_20220226_101249.jpg

Maruti Baleno ICE Upgrade: Alpine HU, Morel Components, Gladen M10 Subwoofer,  Audison SR-4 and more-img_20220226_101258.jpg

Maruti Baleno ICE Upgrade: Alpine HU, Morel Components, Gladen M10 Subwoofer,  Audison SR-4 and more-img_20220226_101309.jpg

Maruti Baleno ICE Upgrade: Alpine HU, Morel Components, Gladen M10 Subwoofer,  Audison SR-4 and more-img_20220226_101319.jpg

Maruti Baleno ICE Upgrade: Alpine HU, Morel Components, Gladen M10 Subwoofer,  Audison SR-4 and more-img_20220226_101326.jpg

Maruti Baleno ICE Upgrade: Alpine HU, Morel Components, Gladen M10 Subwoofer,  Audison SR-4 and more-img_20220226_101334.jpg

Maruti Baleno ICE Upgrade: Alpine HU, Morel Components, Gladen M10 Subwoofer,  Audison SR-4 and more-img_20220226_101510.jpg

Reverse camera in action

Maruti Baleno ICE Upgrade: Alpine HU, Morel Components, Gladen M10 Subwoofer,  Audison SR-4 and more-img_20220312_163704.jpg

Maruti Baleno ICE Upgrade: Alpine HU, Morel Components, Gladen M10 Subwoofer,  Audison SR-4 and more-img_20220319_193450.jpg

Good video quality even at night, the dynamic guidelines aren't accurate though.

I am happy with the setup. It's been almost 2 months since the installation. Audison amplifier and Alpine HU did improve the SQ. The bass is really good with Alpine HU. The front stage is also amazing now thanks to 3 way setup.

Love the cabin look

Maruti Baleno ICE Upgrade: Alpine HU, Morel Components, Gladen M10 Subwoofer,  Audison SR-4 and more-img_20220312_163244.jpg

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 23rd April 2022 at 21:47.
Dr.Naren is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 30th May 2022, 13:07   #23
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Baleno ICE Upgrade: Alpine HU, Morel Components, Gladen M10 Subwoofer, Audison SR-4 and

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswin93 View Post
I was planning an audio upgrade for my Baleno Alpha for some time now. The things I have in my mind are:

Front: Polk Audio DB6502 DB+
Rear: Polk Audio DB652 DB+
Amp: Infinity Primus 9004A
Sub: TBD (Budget around 8-10k)

and damping on all 4 doors.
Please share your feedback on the upgrade. I too am looking for upgrade with similar budget in mind.
Old 30th May 2022, 16:00   #24
BHPian

Re: Maruti Baleno ICE Upgrade: Alpine HU, Morel Components, Gladen M10 Subwoofer, Audison SR-4 and

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
Please share your feedback on the upgrade. I too am looking for upgrade with similar budget in mind.
Thankfully I got a chance to try out the polk audio setup at the shop and did not like it very much, a little too low heavy for me I wanted a bit more balanced sound. I did not go with the above setup but did upgrade the speakers.

Current setup:

Front: Focal Access 165AS
Rear: Stock Speakers
Amp: Brazo Audio PA330 (Powering front speakers)
Subwoofer: JL Audio 10W0V3
Amp: JBL Club 5501 (Mono Amp powering sub)

Damping was done on Front Doors and boot.

I had an Amazon coupon that I had to use so had to buy the JBL sub from there. Rest everything was from Motorogue, including the subwoofer housing.

Cheers!
-Aswin
aswin93 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2022, 14:30   #25
BHPian

Hi,

I was in a similar boat, with my Belano 2018 HU seemingly looking "bored" in 2022.

My ask was straight forward:
1. Capacitive touchscreen HU
2. Able to run Maps
3. Able to run music apps like Spotify

First, I looked around Android HU like Woodman, GVAA but few things stopped me for going for these:

1. Android versions are 10 or older and we all know how laggy with time it can be
2. Most running with quad-core and 2 GB ram - not inspiring confidence.
3. Somehow I felt these, most, if not all, are Chinese rebadged, so long term assurance is a question mark.

Disappointed, I started looking for branded ones with Sony, Alpine and Pioneer, being better ones but most were priced north of INR 28k, still beyond my budget.

Then I landed this thread of Naren's and came to know about Motorogue. Motorogue people are very prompt, replying to each of my queries over Whatsapp and phone.

Checked with Kolkata Teambhp group and got the advice to go for branded ones, instead of Chinese Android HUs.

Options were:
1. Sony XAV 5500
2. Sony XAV 7000
3. Alpine iLX-W650E

Alpine, ofcourse, better recommended for more audio control, required a separate steering wheel interface - which I wasn't exactly confident about. Price-wise, box with steering interface etc was costing around INR 31K.

Sony XAV 7000 was interesting because of the 100W output but again going over budget.

So, finally it was Sony XAV 5500 which cost me INR 20k for the system and Baleno facia another INR 1000. So 21k for the complete set.

This was my first online purchase of car ICE component, so took the jump and placed the order through Motorogue website. Though they shipped next day itself but due to monsoon, Delhivery courier delivered couple of days after the ETA.

Next was installation. Now this became a pain as none of the major car accessory shops in south Kolkata agreed to install a 3rd party bought product.

Finally fellow TeamBHP mate, Mithun helped out by recommending Maidul from Car Shringar in Baruipur. Bit far from my place but the what heck, the drive through Southern Bypass was fun!

Maidul did a clean job and the entire fitment was completed within 40 minutes. Happy me, then drove back, enjoying Spotify, straight out of the HU.Checked.

Here are some pics:
Maruti Baleno ICE Upgrade: Alpine HU, Morel Components, Gladen M10 Subwoofer,  Audison SR-4 and more-pxl_20220701_131422275.mp01.jpeg

Maruti Baleno ICE Upgrade: Alpine HU, Morel Components, Gladen M10 Subwoofer,  Audison SR-4 and more-pxl_20220702_053712053.mp01.jpeg

Maruti Baleno ICE Upgrade: Alpine HU, Morel Components, Gladen M10 Subwoofer,  Audison SR-4 and more-pxl_20220702_053745683.mp01.jpeg

Finally the dash looking cool!

Maruti Baleno ICE Upgrade: Alpine HU, Morel Components, Gladen M10 Subwoofer,  Audison SR-4 and more-pxl_20220702_053442419.mp01.jpeg

Thanks Naren for writing about Motorogue!👍
redeye10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th December 2023, 08:14   #26

Will be grateful if any one, particularly Dr Naren can clarify a few queries of mine regarding ICE upgrade for my Brezza 2023.

1.Stock HU is very decent and can I go for a DSP amp like Nikamachi instead of upgrading my HU?
2.Read a lot about Morels and their sound being warm. I have a pair of warm sounding Wharfedale Diamond 9.2s in my home stereo system and I love the output from them. So the Morels.
3.Confused between Morel Maximo Ultra 603, 3 way components with my stock rear speakers or Morel Maximo Ultra 602 Component and Coaxials.
4.Thought of going with Morel MPS 4.400 amp but read on TBHP that if retain my stock HU, I should go for a DSP amp. Any thoughts?
5.I mainly listen to Tamil film songs and my taste with western songs are with the likes of Eagles, Neil Diamond, Dire Straits, Doors etc..[I am an old timer :-)].
6.Should I go for an under seat subwoofer?

Will be doing the door damps too.
TIA

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks