Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2021, 16:06   #16

Re: Digital Radio Mondiale (DRM) radio in Indian cars

Over the weekend I was travelling from Pune to Konkan via Tamhini ghat in my Marazoo. Out of the blue the car started playing Arabic songs. The station name displayed was "SawtOmn2". A quick googling around revealed that it was one SWAT radio from Oman. By any chance it could be related to this topic? As I understand, FM signals can travel max like 50-100 kms, while this one is far off the Arabic sea.
Attached Thumbnails
Digital Radio Mondiale (DRM) radio in Indian cars-screenshot_20211227160218.jpg  

wankhade is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 09:31   #17
BHPian

Re: Digital Radio Mondiale (DRM) radio in Indian cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by wankhade View Post
Over the weekend I was travelling from Pune to Konkan via Tamhini ghat in my Marazoo. Out of the blue the car started playing Arabic songs. The station name displayed was "SawtOmn2". A quick googling around revealed that it was one SWAT radio from Oman. By any chance it could be related to this topic? As I understand, FM signals can travel max like 50-100 kms, while this one is far off the Arabic sea.
That was a nice "catch" and you are indeed lucky to receive it and document it (thanks to the Radio Station ID). Indeed the FM signals travel only 100kms normally, but under certain atmospheric conditions, they travel couple of thousand kilometers. Oman is around 2000kms from Pune and it was tropospheric ducting(1) phenomenon that carried the signals so long.

1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropospheric_propagation
bejoy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks