Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2021, 09:00   #1
Senior - BHPian

Car audio brands | Are there any decent ones left?

Compared to the vibrant ICE scene we had 10-15 years ago, it appears the ubiquity and improved performance and non fungibility of stock stereo systems have decimated the landscape today. When I had to choose my first stereo system. For my head unit, I had to choose between Sony, Kenwood, JVC, pioneer, alpine. And for speakers even more - Hertz, illusion, Rockford fosgate, kicker, auditor, rainbow, bull, focal, all in the 10k range

I was trying to upgrade and replace some parts, and the lack of choice was sad. I had to get my alpine Hu from the US, and for speakers JBL was not even available. Every shop had only Sony and Pioneer, and even ecom marketplaces had similar stuff.

So a question to those who have been in the scene for a while. What's left these days?
greenhorn is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 09:40   #2
BANNED

re: Car audio brands | Are there any decent ones left?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I was trying to upgrade and replace some parts, and the lack of choice was sad. I had to get my alpine Hu from the US, and for speakers JBL was not even available. Every shop had only Sony and Pioneer, and even ecom marketplaces had similar stuff.

So a question to those who have been in the scene for a while. What's left these days?
Issue I see here in terms of HU is that the major sales still happen from Pioneer and Sony in terms of HU's. Kenwood is a rarity, Alpine is even lesser seen in markets. All shop owners push either for Pioneer or Sony since commission may be higher here for every sale that happens.

In terms of speakers, subwoofers - Many options still available from Alpine, Infinity, JBL, Focal, Sony etc. Niche brands like JL Audio, Steg, DS18, Rainbow, DD Audio, Audiofrog, Eton and Audible Physics are seen in the market. Niche ones are marketed and sold mainly through inquiry arising from posts on FB and Instagram.

Amplifiers - Similar scene as above, lots of new options available but not many reach the physical store. Everything is marketed online through FB & Instagram. Niche brands like DD Audio, Stetsom, Soundigital, Steg, Eton, Sinfoni, Tru Technology are available.

Last edited by a4anurag : 8th July 2021 at 09:41.
a4anurag is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 10:58   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Compared to the vibrant ICE scene we had 10-15 years ago, it appears the ubiquity and improved performance and non fungibility of stock stereo systems have decimated the landscape today.
This trend started when the car manufacturers started to move away from the Single/Double DIN.

Probably the trend was started by luxury car makers, and then it caught on with mainstream brands.
abhishek46 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 11:18   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Compared to the vibrant ICE scene we had 10-15 years ago, it appears the ubiquity and improved performance and non fungibility of stock stereo systems have decimated the landscape today.
This is so true. These days most cars come with a pretty decent music system and there is no need to get anything installed from outside just after purchase. If at all anything, it must be cars below the 10 lakh mark. And then there is the Chinese invasion of parts in terms of touch screens as well as speakers. Back in the day it was nice to see all that huge setup with the amplifier and subwoofer taking up space in the boot. Now it is all tucked in away neatly.
Quote:
I'm guessing there are still some shops that does the job and provide high end brands. If not, one can easily source parts from abroad these days.
TrackDay is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 11:22   #5
Senior - BHPian

Yes I agree that its rare to see a high end after market install in recent cars but I got a decent setup on my 2.8 GX Crysta. I got a Pioneer HU that has Android Auto, Apple Car play, Focal 165 KR2 components, Morel Tempo coaxials in the rear doors, Focal Bomba active sub and Focal 4.350 amp. Very decent system IMO and enjoying it immensely.
SPARKled is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th July 2021, 10:38   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Car audio brands | Are there any decent ones left?

So true that OEM audio systems have improved to a level where after-market tinkering is no longer required. Even budget cars like the Tiago have reasonably good ICE, while almost all cars above 15-lakh come with excellent sound systems.

That being said, the best audio is always on the top variant only. Hence IMHO, demand for after-market ICE will stay strong from the guys buying low & mid variants. Of course, I don't expect high-end car installs (those customers would buy the top-end variant or expensive models anyway), nor too many head-unit upgrades, but speakers + damping + subwoofer sales should be alright in the near future. At least until even lower variants come with good OEM ICE.
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th July 2021, 16:10   #7
Senior - BHPian

I still have to hear an OEM system that can outshine even a well setup 1 lac aftermarket ICE setup, and that includes the B&Os, Burmesters and Meridians of the world. While they sound good and many may live with it, its still nowhere close to professionally installed aftermarket audio. For instance, not even one of these cars have a high quality subwoofer installed in an optimised sealed or ported enclosure. All use puny makeshift subs in infinite baffle or similar.

I think the availability of brands now is the same if not greater than 15 years ago. Just that this forum was abuzz with a lot more speciality ICE installs
Bass&Trouble is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 9th July 2021, 16:32   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Agree with you.

Two decades back, almost every new car owner used to visit a car accessory shop for ICE, seat covers, films and what not.

In that era, the manufacturers did not think of ICE as their scope and as an integral part of their product. They would just leave a provision for mounting and electricals.

Today, not only the ICE has evolved a lot (even functionally) but also the manufacturers focuss a lot on it. Because of smooth integration of ICE (with the interiors) that we are used to see now, an aftermarket ICE may look bit down market on our car.

I am totally satisfied with the sound quality of the simple and neat looking DIN2 factory fitted ICE of my SX4; I never even had a thought of looking for an aftermarket ICE.

And secondly, though I enjoy the music while driving, I hav started feeling better with silence in the car. When the kids insist on loud dhinka - chika music on our trips, I have been humorous to advise them to enjoy that when the car is stationary at home or at a destination!

Last edited by Rahul Bhalgat : 9th July 2021 at 16:37.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th July 2021, 18:26   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
I think the availability of brands now is the same if not greater than 15 years ago. Just that this forum was abuzz with a lot more speciality ICE installs
Ok, I may have been too generic. My question is, are there and good mid fi brands/models with good distribution either online or offline channels?

I finally managed to get some infinity stuff ( cheaper than JBL! Infinity seems to have been repositioned to lower than JBL here, selling mostly rebranded Chinese stuff while JBL still has the same models as international markets). So happy with that, but otherwise it's all no name Chinese brands.
greenhorn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th July 2021, 19:19   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ok, I may have been too generic. My question is, are there and good mid fi brands/models with good distribution either online or offline channels?
I can see a barrage of brands available here in Mumbai even offline, some newer brands that didnt exist 10 years ago and all the other familiar names. JBL, Infinity, RF, Kicker, Polk, Audison, Hertz, Focal, Helix, Morel, Gladen, Eton, Mosconi, MTX, Blaupunkt and then some Blam, Audio Circle, Musway, etc. Lots more that I cant even remember. So I dont think the choice has diminished in any way.
Bass&Trouble is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th July 2021, 22:26   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I can see a barrage of brands available here in Mumbai even offline,
I dont think the choice has diminished in any way.
Agreed, but the fact is during early 2000s all those brands were available with very small vendors / stores / installers.

But that is not the case today. Majority of the audio installers (except the few who deal with SQ & moderately SQ setups) have nothing more than Pioneer, Sony, entry level JBLs. When we ask for a specific brand or series, people don't show much interest now as they have limited margin from out sourced parts than their own stock.
Mr.Boss is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th July 2021, 08:15   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I still have to hear an OEM system that can outshine even a well setup 1 lac aftermarket ICE setup
I think after-market audio is going through the 'OEM Tyre Syndrome'. Compared to 10 - 15 years back, OEM tyres have vastly improved today in terms of grip as well as sizing (even crossovers like the Seltos get 205 mm or thicker tyres today). These are 'good enough' for most owners to not even think about upgrading. However, unlike audio, these car owners will always go to the after-market after 40000 km when its time to replace their factory tyres.

Based on anecdotal evidence, those who would spend 1-lakh on ICE also spend over 15 - 20 lakhs on a new car today. 20 lakhs is the new 10 lakhs. And these cars have either good (Seltos, Harrier) or awesome (Hector) sound systems from the factory itself. No real need to upgrade the ICE, open up the door panels, run the risk of voiding the 6 to 7 year extended warranty etc. Cars above that price point mostly have spectacular factory sound - case in point, the new Octavia.

Even cheaper cars are getting better & better ICE from the factory (Tata has been a frontrunner here). Manufacturers have realised this can be a solid differentiator in the showroom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
Two decades back, almost every new car owner used to visit a car accessory shop for ICE, seat covers, films and what not.
So true. I had a ready checklist for every new car and would spend the initial 2 days of ownership at the local accessory shop. For my last two cars - and in the past 8 years - I haven't stepped inside an accessory store. The only extras have been a number-plate when new, and remap / tyres etc. at the 5 year mark. We always buy the top variant and they have deadly levels of equipment today.

Last edited by GTO : 10th July 2021 at 08:35.
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 10th July 2021, 09:00   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I still have to hear an OEM system that can outshine even a well setup 1 lac aftermarket ICE setup
I agree. While OEM systems have improved over the last decade or so, aftermarket audio still rules. However, some of the marquee brands like Volvo, Lexus, BMW have great OEM ones that generally need no upgrades. I heard that the Mark Levinson sound system on the 2021 Lexus RX is just outstanding.

Among the older cars, I found the OEM Clarion set up on the Grand Vitara quite good for a no-frills SUV with a 4" DVC active underseat subwoofer, and simple full range woofers.

Quote:
I dont think the choice has diminished in any way.
Yes; somewhere around late 2000s, when the standard Double and Single DIN slots in cars gave way to sculpted fit OEM head units, I wondered if that was the end of standard size head units. But no. Dash kits came, some of them even running down to the AC control surrounds, and touch screen HUs ruled the roost.

I remember seeing that Sony was a strict no no on this forum when I first seriously started understanding HUs, but their current offerings of the XAVs, even the 1500, is worth considering in my view. A friend has a slightly older XAV in his Renault Scala and that sounds superb in my view. The user interface and the screen resolution is also good. The Pioneer 5290 is another hit, but no "maal" in the market for the last few months. Kenwood has unfortunately gone to the dogs since 2015.

The choice has become even wider with the latest craze being Android Head Units, which I somehow desist, because of the full touchscreen controls (I would always like a few hard buttons to override touchscreen controls). But I'm told they put out better sound output than entry level double din touchscreen units.

Quote:
Infinity seems to have been repositioned to lower than JBL here
True, @greenhorn. I was surprised to see this downgradation of Infinity during a recent enquiry at a local accessory store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Even cheaper cars are getting better & better ICE from the factory (Tata has been a frontrunner here).
I second that view. I travelled a 320 km distance in a 2019 DZire Vxi and was blown away by how a humble Maruti offering had such a clean sounding OEM ICE set up - a huge departure from the stock sx4 or the stock older Swift Dzire set ups.

Last edited by vigsom : 10th July 2021 at 09:03.
vigsom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2021, 10:12   #14
BHPian

I feel the OEM music systems are just adequate and nothing special. I currently ride Hexa with 10 speaker JBL system that is supposed to be one of the benchmark vehicles is sound quality. Unfortunately this doesnt holds candle to even a 40k - 50k system. The components, sub, tweeters are all subpar compared to dedicated aftermarket stuff. It doesn't even have the mainstream GTO series components. It took me many weeks to figure out if it is just me or others feel the same way, got confirmation after discussion in Hexa forum. Most of the times it's just the branding, below average hardware but a swanky head unit never the less.
omzworld is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2021, 11:18   #15
BHPian

Fifteen, twenty years back, there use to be dedicated car audio shops. Now a days new car comes with OEM music system so car audio market has almost vanished.

That said, quality of the old analog audio system was far better than OEM music system today. Quality of the car stereo was so good that some people use to install them in the house using dedicated power supply and external speakers.

AFAIK, Kenwood is a very decent brand that I suggest for your requirement.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks