Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2007, 19:12   #1
Senior - BHPian

Optra Ice Upgrade

Car - Optra 1.8LT (comes with 4 speakers and 4 tweeters on each door)

Head Unit - Blaupunkt Bahamas MP46 More Info Here (Changed from the original Blaupunkt Cassette Unit it came with, have retained the 5 CD changer)

Requirement - Clarity, clarity & more clarity, the currenty crappy stock speakers make whistling noises at higher volume. I am not much of a Audiophile and listen to music very rarely at higher volume.

Budget - 20k - damping (3k) = 17k

I dont want to add anything in the boot. The parcel shelf can take speakers so can i add speakers over there and have a 6 speaker setup??

Looking at my requirements what should i go in for?? A subwoofer can be placed on the parcel shelf. Are the tweeters crap on the car and do i need to change it. Please tell me in 12k which amp, subwoofer, speaker & wires i should go in for in order to get clarity in sound.

Thanks

P.S My first post in Ice thread so please help me and forgive me for my stupid questions.

Last edited by BUSA : 11th May 2007 at 19:24.
Old 11th May 2007, 19:50   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Car - Optra 1.8LT (comes with 4 speakers and 4 tweeters on each door)

Head Unit - Blaupunkt Bahamas MP46 More Info Here (Changed from the original Blaupunkt Cassette Unit it came with, have retained the 5 CD changer)

Requirement - Clarity, clarity & more clarity, the currenty crappy stock speakers make whistling noises at higher volume. I am not much of a Audiophile and listen to music very rarely at higher volume.

Budget - 20k - damping (3k) = 17k

I dont want to add anything in the boot. The parcel shelf can take speakers so can i add speakers over there and have a 6 speaker setup??

Looking at my requirements what should i go in for?? A subwoofer can be placed on the parcel shelf. Are the tweeters crap on the car and do i need to change it. Please tell me in 12k which amp, subwoofer, speaker & wires i should go in for in order to get clarity in sound.

Thanks

P.S My first post in Ice thread so please help me and forgive me for my stupid questions.
Hiya Busa! lol

20k mein se 3k for damping? 15%? Very high. Use some VFM damping, and only hit the doors. Theres lots of talk about this on another thread.

Dont cut the parcel tray for the sub, enclose one and put in the trunk.

Use some good 6.5" coaxes for all 4 doors. Comps for front door will not leave you with much left since you'll need an amp too. Good coaxes, especially with a dome tweeter should be alright since a component set will exceed your budget.

6 speakers is not allowed on T-Bhp. You will be outcasted. 6 or more speakers are only allowed if you are using Bang & Olufsen.
Old 11th May 2007, 20:09   #3
Senior - BHPian

Thanks alot B&T

The problem is i need my dicky alot and cannt compromise on the boot space so i will have to place the sub on the parcel shelf.

Also can you please tell me the speakers, tweeters, amps, subs i should go in for with pricing.

Thanks a million
Old 12th May 2007, 11:33   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
6 or more speakers are only allowed if you are using Bang & Olufsen.
B&O car audio?
Old 12th May 2007, 11:36   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The problem is i need my dicky
In that case I would suggest the follow. (you budget is 20K and you have an HU right?)

For 9K I would get 2 coax in the front and 2 6x9 in the rear deck (some bass is better than no bass).

For 7K I would get a 4ch. amp and for 2K good RCA wires.

For the remaining 2K I would damp the 2 front doors albeit not fully. Again some damping is better than none.
Old 12th May 2007, 11:37   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
B&O car audio?
Navin,

Post # 4 in this thread for your reference

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound-...io-alpine.html
Old 12th May 2007, 12:19   #7
Senior - BHPian

Thanks alot Navin, cant i put a Subwoofer on the parcel tray??

Also please mention which speakers and amplifiers, woofers, cables should i go in for.

P.S i would prefer JBL & Pioner
Old 12th May 2007, 14:53   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks alot Navin, cant i put a Subwoofer on the parcel tray??

Also please mention which speakers and amplifiers, woofers, cables should i go in for.

P.S i would prefer JBL & Pioner
If you prefer JBL and Pioneer, go in for JBL GTO series 6.5" in the fronts and rear, and a Pioneer 12" free air sub. For the time being, and until you upgrade your budget, run the Pioneer off a 2-ch amp and the JBLs off the head unit.
Old 12th May 2007, 15:30   #9
Senior - BHPian

20K?

Front: JBLCS2165c: 5000/- (2-way comps)
Rear: JBLCS2165: 3000/- (2-way 6.5" coax -- with a sub on the tray you don't need any bigger speakers here)
Sub: Pio 307F: about 3500/- (for free-air install on the parcel tray. You also get Kenwood subs for free-air installs for about 4500/-)
Amp: Pio 6200 or JBLCS60.4: 7k or 9K (4-chs, for the front comps and the sub)
Wiring & RCAs: 3K (Stinger/Twister/Scosche)

Blows your budget a bit, but gets the job done completely (incl. amping the front comps). To save a little, as B&T suggested, maybe you can get a 2-ch amp instead of the 4-ch for the sub.

Do some VFM damping for the time being (with what you get as discount on the above) and get a more detailed job done when everything gets loose soon
Old 12th May 2007, 15:32   #10
Senior - BHPian

Thanks B&T

What about this setup -
Front Components boss - How much is it going to cost??
Rear Coaxials JBL 636 Triaxials - 3.5k
Sony 502 amp for about 3.5k (This is a two channel amp i guess)
PIO 306 sub for about 3.5K(Can this be fitted on the parcel tray)
RCA cable - 2k
Damping 2k

How much does a 4 channel amp cost??

EDIT - Thanks alot Hydrashock, very valuable info with pricing. It doesnot matter if i exceed the budget a wee bit, after all if i am getting the complete setup. Thanks alot.

Last edited by BUSA : 12th May 2007 at 15:35.
Old 12th May 2007, 15:58   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks B&T

What about this setup -
RCA cable - 2k
Damping 2k

I dont recommend using Boss speakers. I dont like them. You might. Try to hear a pair.

I dont prefer 3 way coaxials in 6.5" size. Two tweeters is hard to catch up with for a 6.5" driver.

Dont just buy an RCA cable for 2k. Get an amp wiring kit which will have the power cabling and hardware and hopefully an RCA thrown in too.

I have received some really nice damping samples. I am going to post it in the VFM damping section soon. It will be a good solution for damping the whole car (i.e. front doors + parcel tray underside + trunk lid) for about 2-2.5k.
Old 12th May 2007, 16:01   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
RCA cable - 2k
Damping 2k

BOSS? Nooooooo! Don't buy Boss.

JBL 636 Triaxials - 3.5k are fine, but they are last year's series (= old stock). Now discontinued. The current speaker is 637. The GTO637 will be just under 4K.

The Sony502 is just okkkk for a sub. Not the best choice for speakers, but ok enough for sub if on a budget.

The 306F is is what you should get. There is also a 306C meant to be used in a box. The "F" is for free-air. That sub can be fitted on the parcel tray.

For 2K you'll get a really good pair of Audison 2-ch RCAs (2 x 1K).

2K should cover decent enough damping. You might need some damping for the parcel tray (and maybe C-pillars) also other than the doors, but I guess 2K should stretch to cover the job overall if you use some VFM damping.

The JBLCS60.4 (9K) & Pio 6200 (7k) are two good 4-ch amps. They will get the job done decently. A JBLGTO75.4 (13K) is a really good amp, but it is a bit costlier too.
Old 12th May 2007, 16:28   #13
Senior - BHPian

Thanks alot Hydra, your post was really very helpful.

Thanks B&T, will be looking to check out the VFM damping product you are talking about.
Old 12th May 2007, 17:02   #14
Senior - BHPian

There is a tweeter pod in each door currently, so wont 4 components on each door sound better? I know i will have to up my budget a bit but is it worth it?
Old 13th May 2007, 18:53   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is a tweeter pod in each door currently, so wont 4 components on each door sound better? I know i will have to up my budget a bit but is it worth it?
BUMP any inputs..?? ..........

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks