Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2021, 19:37   #1
BANNED

20000-rupee audio upgrade for my new car?

Hi,
I bought last month 2021 Aug (pre facelifted) Honda Amaze S MT.
I wanted to change to touch display and good component speaker.
Please suggest best front and back speakers, also is there need for under seat woofer or separate amp or DSP
Budget approx 20K
Also any good upgrades recommended
Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 21:07   #2
BHPian

re: 20000-rupee audio upgrade for my new car?

I have a ‘13 Amaze in which I’ve got a Rockford Fosgate custom audio setup, basically 4 components (Punch P165SE up front with integrated crossovers + 2 tweeters), 5 channel amp, dual subwoofer in the boot and a pioneer AVH-X8890BT head unit, it has an inbuilt DSP. I also have my doors, roof, boot lid and parcel tray damped. I believe the speaker size (6.5”) is the same in the 2nd gen Amaze as well. Only issue I’m seeing is your budget is not enough for separate amps + woofers + HU. I’d suggest just stick to the components for now to remain under 20k. Avoid cheaper alternatives as they don’t sound as good as the higher quality ones.

Also given Amazes poor sound insulation and tin can build quality, would highly recommend damping as it has a significant impact on road noise reduction. Also make sure you get the work done from a quality installer in order to prevent damage to your plastic panels, bear in mind you will still lose the factory fit and finish on any panel that’s removed (goes for anything aftermarket), no matter how good the installer is. Also, make sure your audio files are high quality lossless ALAC or WAV and not lossy mp3 as it makes a difference. If forced to use mp3 make sure it’s at least 320kbps. Cheers.
AJ56 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 22:56   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhruv.tandon View Post
touch display
good component speaker.
Budget approx. 20K
20k will be a very tough target for all of these upgrades. Max you can go for a entry level touch screen audio (like BP New York 750) and a basic component speakers. I suggest you to do it in phases if you have budget constraints.
1) Decent touch screen HU with AA & ACP - See if your stock speakers could perform well with this set-up (20k approx.)
2) Damping all 4 doors - this should give a marginal improvement in audio clarity (10k approx.)
3) Component & Coaxial speakers (15k approx.)
4) 4 Channel amplifier (10-15k approx.)
5) Under seat or a regular sub woofer (If required)

Quote:
is there need for under seat woofer or separate amp or DSP
Amplifier will be required to get better output from Component speakers. HU high level out cannot run the component speakers at their peak performance
If you are going for after market (branded) HU with decent pre-out, DSP may not be required (Unless your requirement is audiophile range)
Mr.Boss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 22:57   #4
BANNED

Thanks for the reply. I think components with Android CarPlay and coaxials would be good to start with. I heard damping can melt and deposit (I live in North India) so it’s very hot in summers.

Also suggestion on the best component speakers? Infinity or Pioneer?

Last edited by GTO : 7th September 2021 at 07:51. Reason: Poorly Typed Posts
Old 31st August 2021, 01:15   #5
BHPian

Quote:
I heard damping can melt and deposit
No it doesn’t, my cars been parked in direct sunlight in Gurgaon summer where temperatures cross 45 degrees for close to 8 years now with no issue. Make sure they use a quality brand that’s all.

Side note regarding car audio and budget: sky’s the limit when it comes to how much you can potentially spend, but I’ve found diminishing returns as price increases, for eg. there’s a huge difference between a 30k system and a 2L system but much less of a difference between say a 2L system and an 8L system, I’m not saying there’s no difference just that the percentage increase in sound quality with increase in price, declines.

Last edited by GTO : 7th September 2021 at 07:52. Reason: Quoted post edited
AJ56 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 20:00   #6
Senior - BHPian

Re: 20000-rupee audio upgrade for my new car?

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I think components with Android CarPlay and coaxials would be good to start with. I heard damping can melt and deposit (I live in North India) so it’s very hot in summers.

Also suggestion on the best component speakers? Infinity or Pioneer?
For a 20k budget, I suggest the following general principles for upgrade in two stages.
Head unit
Speakers
Damping
Avoid amplifiers and subwoofers in this budget range. This will also be easier on battery, alternator etc.

Stage 1: Retain stock HU and change speakers plus damping.
Since 20k is a basic budget, avoid installing an amplifier. Even if you drive speakers without amplifier, the output will be much better than factory set up. Important thing is to remember not to buy medium or high end expensive components. I had done the same in my Punto back in 2011-2013. My car has damping (9 sheets of DampMat) since Sept 2013 and there is neither any odour nor they melted or anything. Due to repairs, damping material was removed and repasted twice and still it is holding well.

A reference set up:
Stage 1: Speakers and damping
Front: JBL GTO 609c
Rear: JBL 6.5 inch coaxials
Damping: 2 sheets per door.

Stage 2: Hypersonic android head unit.

By the time you opt for head unit after few weeks or months, you will know if you are satisfied with speakers sans external amplifier.

Last edited by GTO : 7th September 2021 at 07:52. Reason: Quoted post edited
PaddleShifter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 20:24   #7
BANNED

Re: 20000-rupee audio upgrade for my new car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post
A reference set up:
Stage 1: Speakers and damping
Front: JBL GTO 609c
Rear: JBL 6.5 inch coaxials
Damping: 2 sheets per door.

Stage 2: Hypersonic android head unit.

By the time you opt for head unit after few weeks or months, you will know if you are satisfied with speakers sans external amplifier.
Is GTO609C better than Infinity REF6520CX and how are Pioneer TS-C601IN and Infinity Alpha 650C 315? a bit cheaper option
Dhruv.tandon is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks