Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2021, 12:20   #1

Adding an aftermarket subwoofer with an OEM fit to my Jeep Compass

Greetings, fellow BHP-ians

I have recently upgraded my vehicle from a 2012 Fluidic Verna to a 2018 Jeep Compass. I wanted to retain the music system I had in my previous car, hence I am left with a 1100 watt JBL Sub-Woofer (fitted in a tube), a pair of TS-S20 Tweeters, and a 4-channel Sony amplifier. Now I would like to add the Sub-Woofer, Tweeters and the Amplifier in my Jeep, but I hate the extra space it would take in the boot, and by the looks of it, clearly feels it's an after market job. I want something that looks and feels OEM.

I am just thinking out loud that if it were possible, can I replace the plastic trim in the boot with the one from the newer 2021 compass. Sharing pictures from both the models here for your reference.

2018- Jeep Compass Boot

Adding an aftermarket subwoofer with an OEM fit to my Jeep Compass-2018jeep-boot.jpeg

2021- Jeep Compass Boot

Name:  2021Jeep boot.jpeg
Views: 7799
Size:  110.1 KB

I really want to get this set-up. Please can you guide me if it is possible, or is there any other way I can add the subwoofer?
Old 21st September 2021, 12:01   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Adding an aftermarket subwoofer with an OEM fit to my Jeep Compass

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarthakverma97 View Post
hence I am left with an 1100 watt JBL Sub-Woofer (fitted in a tube), a pair of TS-S20 Tweeters, and a 4-channel Sony amplifier.

Now I would like to add the Sub-Woofer, Tweeters, and the Amplifier in my Jeep, but I hate the extra space it would take in the boot

I really want to get this set up. Please can you guide me if it is possible, or is there any other way I can add the subwoofer?
I understand from your post, that you want to build a small fiberglass box that sits flush against one side of the boot.

This is possible but I doubt you will achieve the results using the JBL woofer that is in the tube. If this is the JBL tube woofer that is sold commercially, it is designed for a larger ported enclosure. I do not have the technical specifications (Theil-Small specifications such as Fs, Vas, Qts, Mms, BL, etc.) to be absolutely sure but from my past experience woofers that are designed for ported (bass-reflex) boxes rarely do well in a small sealed box.

One good indicator would be the Qts of the woofer. If this is between 0.32 and 0.37 it might be a woofer that can fare reasonably well in both boxes however Qts is just one indicator, it will not tell you how low the woofer will go or how loud. For that, you will need to get the other Theil-Small specifications.

However, if you want to risk it and build a fiber-glass box and try the woofer, it might be a good experiment. You might not get the deepest or best-defined bass but you will get some bass. Building a fiberglass box, however, requires some skill. Check out the videos below for a basic understanding of this.

navin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 13:05   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Adding an aftermarket subwoofer with an OEM fit to my Jeep Compass

Looking at the details in the first post, is this the ‎CS1215B ?

I have a Infinity Reference 1200S, and had built a sealed box. Recently found out that I have made a mistake in the calculations of the box volume, and now have got another box made using a mix of 12 mm & 19mm plywood. The new box is about 14 x 17.5 x 8 inches, and allows me to get a net volume of 0.75 cu ft even with a bottom mount approach. (@Navin - thanks for your old posts on this thread (Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!) ). The JBL CS1200 itself need 1.0 cu ft volume - which means that even the sealed box you may need for this sub will be bigger than what i have got for the Infinity.

Looking at the pics of the 2018, I dont think a sub box can be fit in in an unobtrusive way. I dont think replacing the trim will help you either.

A better option may be to get a powered sub-woofer, which can then be mounted may be above the wheel area - and this can reduce the space used while being out of the way .

Last edited by condor : 21st September 2021 at 13:22.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 14:31   #4

Re: Adding an aftermarket subwoofer with an OEM fit to my Jeep Compass

Thank you so much for the guidance Navin and Condor. The size of the panel is unclear to the dealership as well. It is subject to availability only. I am guessing, I will have to just upgrade my Speakers to a better grade and would have to get rid of the subwoofer.
Old 27th September 2021, 15:07   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am guessing, I will have to just upgrade my Speakers to a better grade and would have to get rid of the subwoofer.
Also, one issue I see with the sub-woofer setup in your earlier post is - the sub is exposed. There is a big risk of damage to it in such open mounts.

Check this thread:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-e...ubwoofers.html (Underseat Subwoofers)

Something like this:
https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-unde...00_w-57153385/

Last edited by condor : 27th September 2021 at 15:36.
Old 27th September 2021, 20:40   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Greetings, fellow BHP-ians

I really want to get this set-up. Please can you guide me if it is possible, or is there any other way I can add the subwoofer?
Hello Sarthak

There are now shallow mount subwoofer available from JL audio and other brands as well. There is now JL audio subwoofer specifically made for Hyundai Creta check if this can be done in compass as well. Attached is the pic reference for same.

Contact any of these best Audio installers in delhi- Motor concept , AutoShack , Custom Sounds. They can check your requirements and get you the best available for Jeep compass.
Attached Images

Safari_Beast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2021, 22:14   #7

Wow, I had no clue about this mount. Thank you for the advice @safari_beast and @condor. Great help!
Old 20th October 2021, 19:55   #8

Why Don't you just go with underseat sub woofer. One is JBL which obviously is little costly however, I installed nippon which I brought for around 12000INR. Currently unavailable in amazon.

I have attached the link below.
Attached Thumbnails
Adding an aftermarket subwoofer with an OEM fit to my Jeep Compass-screenshot_20211020_195258_in.amazon.mshop.android.shopping.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks