Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2021, 10:24   #1
BHPian

Will I lose the built-in features of my car, if I upgrade the head-unit?

I'm in the market for a new car and am considering the MG Astor.
My question is there seems to be a lot of features like the ADAS that seem to be tied in to the head unit.
If I decide to upgrade to a more premium head unit, will I be losing out on all these features ?
Old 5th October 2021, 11:50   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Will I lose the built-in features of my car, if I upgrade the head-unit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arun1 View Post
My question is there seems to be a lot of features like the ADAS that seem to be tied in to the head unit.
If I decide to upgrade to a more premium head unit, will I be losing out on all these features ?
Yes.
It's impossible, or maybe possible but way too difficult/dangerous to warranty, to do so in any of the cars that nowadays come with built in , factory, bespoke touch screen systems.
mayankk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2021, 12:34   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The kind of integration with the vehicle settings etc. available on the current crop of Infotainment Systems is next to impossible to achieve on third party after market systems.

Secondly, the OEM Infotainment Systems that are being used today (10+ inch ones) are already very expensive, they cost upwards of 60-70K.
If you need an improvement in the sound stage, why not use an external amplifier and better speakers?
abhishek46 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2021, 13:19   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
The kind of integration with the vehicle settings etc. available on the current crop of Infotainment Systems is next to impossible to achieve on third party after market systems.

Secondly, the OEM Infotainment Systems that are being used today (10+ inch ones) are already very expensive, they cost upwards of 60-70K.
If you need an improvement in the sound stage, why not use an external amplifier and better speakers?
Unfortunately, good quality sound is only as good as the weakest link.
I would be investing a decent set of speakers and an amp if needed but the source DAC needs to be good in the first place.
Arun1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2021, 13:25   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Unfortunately, good quality sound is only as good as the weakest link.
I would be investing a decent set of speakers and an amp if needed but the source DAC needs to be good in the first place.
Have you taken a test ride of the factory Astor stereo? The one in the Hector is fantastic, and apparently the one in this is only missing the sub and the amp compared to that. Haven't read about anyone complaining on the Astor thread.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks