Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2007, 09:38   #1

Whining noise.

Hey guys!
2 problems...

1. how do i get rid of the high pitch sound?

2. The other problem i have is when i turn on/off my system, there will be a "thub" sound. what causes that and how to get rid of it?

I've got a basic setup of two amps, one 10"sub and 2 sets of component speakers. 1 amp drives the sub while the other powers the front component set. the rear set is driven by the player. they all go through an electronic crossover. Hope i've provided enough information.

Thanks in advance!
Old 6th June 2007, 10:13   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage View Post
1. how do i get rid of the high pitch sound?

2. The other problem i have is when i turn on/off my system, there will be a "thub" sound. what causes that and how to get rid of it?

I've got a basic setup of two amps, one 10"sub and 2 sets of component speakers. !
What wires do you have? what make?
Who installed your system?
Which amps do you have?

To remove/reduce alternator noise check your wiring. To reduce/remove the turn on thud check your amps.
Old 6th June 2007, 10:30   #3

navin, A regular shop got it done for me. that said that the wire brand is a good one so i dont know what make it is. Amps i'm using are sony (sub) and coustic (front component)

What do i look out for on the amps with regards to the "thud" noise? the whinins bit i guess i can live with as it's audible a low levels. But the thud is scary! Like it really pumps the speakers...

The sub is driven by a 1ohm amp by "sony" (meant for subs) and the front speakers are driven by a "coustic" amp. they all go through an electronic crossover by prestige. My player is a sony.

I guess the high pitch sound is bearable cause it's only audible at low levels but the "thud" is really scary... what do i look out for on the amp for the "thud" sound?

Thanks for the reply
Old 6th June 2007, 12:02   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
navin, A regular shop got it done for me. that said that the wire brand is a good one so i dont know what make it is. Amps i'm using are sony (sub) and coustic (front component)

The sub is driven by a 1ohm amp by "sony" (meant for subs) and the front speakers are driven by a "coustic" amp. they all go through an electronic crossover by prestige. My player is a sony.
The thud should not scare you. It's called a turn on thump and wont hurt your speakers.

Is the thud only heard from the sub amp or from both amps (try one at a time).

the whine can be irrirating. If the cables are good (BOSS cables are notorious for not being able to isloate whine) like Monster or Audisson, etc... then maybe you are ty routing the RCA cables away from the power cables. I always tell my installer to wire the RCA and speaker cables on the right side and the Power cables on the left. Not that the side makes a difference but it makes for simple intructions and keeps the cables apart.

Now you got one more component that I wonder about. The Prestige Crossover.

To isolate the source of all this noise..connect one component at a time. try this.

1. connect jsut the coustic amp and HU and all 4 speakers. if that is ok (check for the whine and thump)
then..
2. add the sony amp and connect the sub to that amp (check for the thump). if that is ok then
3. add the prestige crossover.

BTW why do you use an external electronic XO (which is what I assume the Prestige is)? are you triamping (sub amp + using a 4ch coustic amp to drive the woofers and tweeters)?

If not you could make do with using the passive crossovers your components speakers came with and using the HPF of the coustic amp to filter out the stuff below 60Hz or so.
Old 6th June 2007, 13:05   #5

hang on... first of, i made a lot of grammar mistakes earlier... sorry for that.

Now, its 2 component sets and one sub. the rear component is driven by the player (short of 1 amp). The front component is driven by the coustic amp and finally the sony amp is driving the sub.
Now, they all connect to the XO in which level adjustment and roll offs' can be easily accessible. I'm not triamping...
As to the thud, i was told that the amps are to old. Actually they are roughly between 10-15 years. Sound is very clear... just the thump. I've actually brought those amps from my previous car and even then the "thump" was there. That sound comes from both the amps... i guess i really have to test it out properly.. but to what i recall, before i got the XO, that sound was still there... sigh...
Thanks so far. Guess i should take my time with this and get it checked!
Old 6th June 2007, 14:45   #6
BHPian

Quote:
hang on... first of, i made a lot of grammar mistakes earlier... sorry for that.

Now, its 2 component sets and one sub. the rear component is driven by the player (short of 1 amp). The front component is driven by the coustic amp and finally the sony amp is driving the sub.
Now, they all connect to the XO in which level adjustment and roll offs' can be easily accessible. I'm not triamping...
As to the thud, i was told that the amps are to old. Actually they are roughly between 10-15 years. Sound is very clear... just the thump. I've actually brought those amps from my previous car and even then the "thump" was there. That sound comes from both the amps... i guess i really have to test it out properly.. but to what i recall, before i got the XO, that sound was still there... sigh...
Thanks so far. Guess i should take my time with this and get it checked!
hi,

what Head Unit do you use? this usually happens with the pioneer HU. i had both the problems which were sorted out later.

cheers
clip
Old 6th June 2007, 22:48   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
if you are not triamping why not use the HPF in the coustic amp (if it has one) to roll of the bass.

sage, the thump can sound dangerous but as long it only in the wofoer amp (sony) it is safe. Is it that loud?

What bothers me more is the whine which should be recitified by redoing the wiring.

Old Pio amps used to have a turn on thump. the soft start ckt is quite easy to implement. just 2 tranistors (why if one is smart one can make do with a single transistor and a diode). Dont bother though. If the thump is too loud and in the coustic amp there is a small chance (very small) that you can blow the tweeters.
Old 7th June 2007, 01:43   #8
Senior - BHPian

sage I have read the thread and did not understand a thing....not even grammar also ...so please list your equipment properly and the second thing which speaker or woofer gives the thump......it is the front or rear or the sub or just left side ones or right sides ones or all of them....
Old 7th June 2007, 11:37   #9
Team-BHP Support

LBM from what I understand Sage has a HU connected to a (Prestige) crossover. the crossover is connected to a Sony amp for the bass (10" woofer) and the cousitc amp for the front components. The rear components are fed from the HU.
Old 7th June 2007, 11:58   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
LBM from what I understand Sage has a HU connected to a (Prestige) crossover. the crossover is connected to a Sony amp for the bass (10" woofer) and the cousitc amp for the front components. The rear components are fed from the HU.
ok...but which speakers are bumping the one connected through the amp or the HU one??? or both....

I think the EQ is the culprit.....sage try the setup without the eq and then comment....
Old 7th June 2007, 12:03   #11
Senior - BHPian

Whine and turn-on pop? The HU appears to be a Pioneer. Just ground your RCA ground to the car chassis. This alone will solve your problem.
Old 7th June 2007, 12:10   #12
BHPian

If its a whine >>> its the wifey for sure...
Old 7th June 2007, 12:12   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk456 View Post
If its a whine >>> its the wifey for sure...
either that or the supercharger
Old 8th June 2007, 01:54   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
Whine and turn-on pop? The HU appears to be a Pioneer. Just ground your RCA ground to the car chassis. This alone will solve your problem.
@SAGE

Do what Gunbir said... See this thread if you need a picture of what to do. Allready been discussed.

Also please use the search in the future
Old 8th June 2007, 08:15   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
yup! he's right. Sorry for being unclear. I will try the what gunbir suggested and my HU is a SONY.
I wanted to try the search but i didn.t know what to look out for...

Thnks for the advice.

Navin, the thump has been there for years! finally one tweeter gave way. The speakers are old too. I've just been bearing with that sound. I hope that when i try removing the EQ and do what gunbir said, it might atleast lessen the whine... A picture would help thanks again!

Most Viewed