Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2007, 14:25   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

What ICE for Verna SX ABS?

My friend is due to get the delivery of Verna CRDi SX ABS,we have been discussing about ICE for the new car for around a week now,whats a better place than T-bhp ice section to get better advice,so please advice.
our preferences are-

-The comes with factory installed 2Din kenwood HU,we'll keep it
-However we will discard the speakers(i dont know which ones would they be)
-Budget is 25000bucks can be streched to 30K with ease
-SPL not a issue,we dont need a boomy setup
-Will do with a sub just for fill in bass(if possible in this budget)
-The speakers should handle bright hindi tracks as well as good audiophile music

All suggestions are welcome,be it anything
Old 12th June 2007, 15:52   #2
Team-BHP Support

30K...

option 1
Sub: 6.5K
Amp: 13.5K
Front components and rear coax: 10K

option 2
Front and rear components: 12.5K
Amp: 11K
Sub: 6.5K

the 2 options above looks simialr but can provide you with very different sounds.

let say (for example) that one used the JBL GT4-12, 75.4 and GTO 607/637 in option 1 and say the JBL GT4-12", JBL 4060 and Infinity 6020/6022 in option 2.

Now there are a number of other brands you can look at Alpine, Blaupunkt, Hertz, and more.
Old 12th June 2007, 15:59   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Navin,how about hertz speakers,jbl amp and ??? sub,still as confused
Old 12th June 2007, 18:08   #4
Senior - BHPian

25K to 30K (without a HU) a really good budget.

The Verna is a great car to ICE. Nice buy

Fronts: 6.5" components; Hertz DSK165 (6K) or JBL GTO607c (6.5K)
Rears: 6x9" coaxials; Hertz DCX690 (5.2K I think) or JBL GTO937 (5K)
Amp: JBL GTO special edition 4 ch amp (GTO964?) @ 10K or JBL GTO 75.4 (13K).
RCAs: 2K (Audison/Stinger/Twister/Other good ones)
Power wires: 3K (Audison/Stinger/Twister/Other good ones)

If you're not looking really low bass, the 6x9s when amped will do a great job. Every Verna install I've heard without a sub had me lift the boot to make sure there was no sub.

If you want to add a sub, you can add a 10" sub like the JBL GT4-10 (4K) in a sealed box (1.5K) and use the rear channels of the amp to drive it.
Old 12th June 2007, 22:49   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Thanks Navin,how about hertz speakers,jbl amp and ??? sub,still as confused
I find both Hertz (what I have heard of them) and JBL (ditto) speakers to be bright. Others like it so please try BEFORE you buy.
Old 12th June 2007, 23:15   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
I find both Hertz (what I have heard of them) and JBL (ditto) speakers to be bright. Others like it so please try BEFORE you buy.
Navin-ji, to the uninitiated, what would be "bright"? Perhaps you mean it in the same relationship as 'bright' and 'dull' colors, but would there be another way of understanding it in the realm of sound?
Old 13th June 2007, 00:17   #7
BHPian

Bright speakers / tweeters are not sysnonymous with Hertz or for that matter with any loudspeaker manufacturer.

Hertz has 5 different ranges with different sound and tonal characterstics to appeal to broad spectrum of people differentiated by age, listening taste and musical preference.
Old 13th June 2007, 10:24   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autophile View Post
Bright speakers / tweeters are not sysnonymous with Hertz or for that matter with any loudspeaker manufacturer..
Aarey baba, I think you know that my impression of Hertz is only of one listen in Viper's Getz. You were there. That is why I say listen before you buy.
Old 13th June 2007, 10:28   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Aarey baba...
Sir, can I have my catchphrase back? Thanks.
Old 13th June 2007, 10:30   #10
Team-BHP Support

No! :-)
Old 15th August 2010, 03:08   #11
Senior - BHPian

ICE Setup for Predator - Verna CRDI SX ABS

Bumping up a very old thread. Next month is Predator's 2nd birthday, and I plan to gift it a comprehensive ICE system. Currently it runs the OEM Kenwood Double Din system, with a 4 spk + 2 twt setup. Nothing else. Below decent music quality.

What kind of music do I listen to? Well a wide variety. Jazz, Classic Rock, Rabindra Sangeet, Hindi films - everything except Metal and other heavy stuff. So my requirement would be primarily clarity. Thump is welcome, only to the extent these genres of music demand, not overpowering thump!

Here are some components I've shortlisted, keeping tbhp as the reference as well as bothering some local gurus. Budget is not finalized at this point, though not planning to go overboard either :

1. Head Unit - The stock unit does not have RCA outs. Will replace it with a decent Double Din. Currently considering the Pioneer 6050UB and Blaupunkt New Jersey. Any more suggestions in Double DIN welcome.

2. Rear Speakers - Rear speakers are 6X9 Oval. Planning to replace them with Infinity Ref9633i or Illusion EL693. Dont want something that gets too bright as volume increases.

3. Front Speakers - Stock fronts are 6.5 rounds. Thinking of JBL GTO638s. Again the anti-brightness law applies.

4. Amp - I'm sold on the Infinity Kappa 4, both for the looks and specs. Someone had claimed on tbhp that it costs 34K! I found a listing on Amazon for only USD268. Any idea what it really costs here?

5. Sub - Should I go for a mounted sub or an enclosure? What are the pros and cons of each? To a layman, it seems the former can be mounted on a Verna's rear parcel tray, and will save valuable boot space as compared to an enclosure.

If I choose a mounted sub, will probably go for Infinity Kappa 120.9W. Suggestions requested for enclosure.

6. Other trivia
  • Plan to get the setup biamped, that is each tweeter + mid bass in the front will run off an individual channel of the amp. Remaining channels for the sub.
  • Comprehensive sound damping will be done. What are the cons, if any?
By now, you would have realized I'm an absolute newbie to ICEland. Please bombard me with suggestions.

Last edited by predatorwheelz : 15th August 2010 at 03:10.
Old 15th August 2010, 20:48   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
... Plan to get the setup biamped, that is each tweeter + mid bass in the front will run off an individual channel of the amp. Remaining channels for the sub. ...
Errr... That's not bi-amping, is it? Bi-amping will use 1 pair of channels for tweeter, and the other pair will service the mid-bass. And, with the Kappa 4 that will not leave any channels for the sub!

If Infinity Kappa 4 has charmed you, perhaps you will be better off with Infinity components - Reference or Kappa. Not that GTO 638 will sound bad, but IMHO the Infinity components sound a bit more refined and laid back (not bright).

Last edited by DerAlte : 15th August 2010 at 21:02.
Old 16th August 2010, 00:31   #13
Senior - BHPian

Tending to infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Errr... That's not bi-amping, is it? Bi-amping will use 1 pair of channels for tweeter, and the other pair will service the mid-bass. And, with the Kappa 4 that will not leave any channels for the sub!
Oh thank you, didn't know this. As I confessed, I'm an ICE newbie. Anyway, in that case I'd have to go for a 5 channel amp (Infinity Kappa 5?) or choose some other method.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
If Infinity Kappa 4 has charmed you, perhaps you will be better off with Infinity components - Reference or Kappa. Not that GTO 638 will sound bad, but IMHO the Infinity components sound a bit more refined and laid back (not bright).
Would you suggest the Infinity Ref 6030cs or Kappa 60.9? In fact, my initial choice for front was the Illusion Electra 6.1. But a friend tells me they're not available these days in India. Please tell me if there are other good options.
Old 16th August 2010, 09:45   #14
Senior - BHPian

Initially, the best would be to go conventional, i.e. use the passive XO of the components driven by 1 pair of amp channels, till you are familiar with the capabilities of the components. The other pair can then be bridged to feed the sub.

Once you are ready to take the active plunge, you can get a good mono for the sub and shift the amp channels to biamp the tweeter and mid-bass. Caution: biamping will will need a lot of hours and effort for tuning.

Whether the Ref or the Kappa depends on your budget. Illusions are still available - check. Other alternatives are DLS, JL Audio and Morel.
Old 16th August 2010, 11:48   #15
Senior - BHPian

What's your overall budget?

How often do you need the boot? Ideally get a sub-in-a-smallbox.

Most Viewed