Apple Maps 15 7.85%
Google Maps 156 81.68%
Hybrid (Apple Maps inside cities/ Google Maps for long distances) 20 10.47%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2022, 18:24   #1
BHPian

Apple Maps vs Google Maps in iOS

Apple Maps in India has been using MapmyIndia for map data. Because of that , the map data is seems to be as good as Google Maps, especially in Tier 1 & Tier 2 cities and towns.

Lately however, Google Maps seems to have picked up a bad habit of trying to squeeze us car users through narrow side streets. This might be because of the huge amount of 2-wheelers feeding data when compared to cars. Even though Google Maps has a "Car Nav" and "2-wheeler Nav", I have still been directed down narrow streets in cars & ended up stuck several times.

But, Apple Maps lacks the traffic capabilities of Google Maps. Further for privacy reasons, you might not want to share more data with Google & use only when required.

So given a choice in Carplay, which one would you choose?
car_addict is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 24th May 2022, 18:48   #2
BHPian

Re: Apple Maps vs Google Maps in iOS

I feel the in-build maps in cars has better 4 wheeler friendly road recommendations,so I am using Hyundai's in-build navigation.

Google Maps always pushed me to narrow lanes, which are not easy for a car and heavily populated with 2 wheelers.
chaitanyakrish is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th May 2022, 19:27   #3
Senior - BHPian

You are mixing Maps and Navigation here.

The map data that Google buys from is also accurate.

If you are iOS and don't want to use Google Maps, you may want to try MapmyIndia's Move app. You do get some traffic data. The UX is awful, I wasn't able to save my POIs through the account. So you'll have to use key them in the fly.

Recently tried Sygic, their navigation experience is good, but the maps are way out of date.

I pre-decide my route and let Google Maps recalculate.
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2022, 19:40   #4
Team-BHP Support

Apple Maps if you want a traditional safe route (think "bus route") to destination. Google Maps if you are feeling a bit adventurous (think "autorickshaw route").

Mapmyindia's MAPPL app is not too bad either and worth a test drive
https://apps.apple.com/in/app/mappls...ve/id723492531
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...d=com.mmi.maps

Last edited by SmartCat : 24th May 2022 at 19:42.
SmartCat is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 24th May 2022, 19:56   #5
BHPian

When it comes to maps and navigation, it has been Google for over 12 years for me. Yes there have been times, esp in Bengaluru, where you curse google maps to get you to a narrow zone, but by and large, it has been the most accurate and reliant in my experience.

I know it is off topic - but even Public transport data is pretty accurate in Google maps. Another reason I never bothered to use apple maps for navigation.

I'm a big fan of Apple IPhones with Google maps

Last edited by SDP : 25th May 2022 at 10:24. Reason: Typo
Jangra is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th May 2022, 14:55   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_addict View Post
So given a choice in Carplay, which one would you choose?
Google Maps, anyday. Hardly any other map software or algorithm comes close to providing real-time traffic data.
My office commute is 30 kms one way, abound with potential choke points. I have to know what's on the way to plan my travel.

Quote:
for privacy reasons, you might not want to share more data with Google & use only when required.
Privacy, is an oxymoron in this context. We rely on others' data sharing to Google Maps for making our lives easier, so shouldn't we reciprocate?
JoshMachine is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th May 2022, 15:06   #7
BANNED

Google has become unreliable because of its tendency to push you down extremely narrow roads where you could end up damaging your car.

I have always felt that Google needs to provide the width of the road and whether it is possible for cars to traverse on that route. A lack of this is currently a serious limitation of Google maps.

I have also found that the travel times and blocks indicated by Google are either too much or too low. Additionally it’s algorithm works on the logic that the shortest route is the best route - which is mostly an incorrect conclusion.

I have started using my own logic on routes I frequently travel and have found far more peaceful drives can be had by not following Google.
EV NXT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2022, 15:22   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post

Privacy, is an oxymoron in this context. We rely on others' data sharing to Google Maps for making our lives easier, so shouldn't we reciprocate?
Anonymized data vs personalized data are two separate things.
A car doing 10 kmph on East street at 4 pm on 25th May 2022 is anonymized data, but JoshMachine doing 10 kmph on East street at 4 pm on 25th May 2022 is personal data.

Traffic conditions can be modeled on anonymous data. however we all know what google does.
alpha1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th May 2022, 16:01   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Anonymized data vs personalized data are two separate things.
A car doing 10 kmph on East street at 4 pm on 25th May 2022 is anonymized data, but JoshMachine doing 10 kmph on East street at 4 pm on 25th May 2022 is personal data.
I think the statement is understood/being quoted out of context.
What I meant: if one were to know ETA of a journey for example, then one has to switch ON the GPS/location services on one's phone. This "data sharing" is uploaded/analyzed for all the other users (ideally, anonymously) - which translates to reciprocity of data sharing, in my original post.

Quote:
Traffic conditions can be modeled on anonymous data. however we all know what google does.
What Google does - is an entirely different topic of conversation
JoshMachine is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2022, 09:15   #10
BHPian

I have found that Apple Maps tends to consume less battery than Google Maps - this is on multiple journeys from Chennai to Kumbakonam, Trichy etc. But then, Google Maps has a bunch of more features like routes etc that Apple Maps doesn't have. Frankly, it boils down to my mindset that google maps is more accurate, though that might be a fallacy.
hajaar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2022, 09:18   #11

I had some bad experiences with google maps in last couple of years, I do not know what is the exact reason but I have seen google maps giving vague rote suggestions way too often now (no issues with preferences selected) giving routes with longer distance/more time consuming/narrow lanes. More recently google maps suggested me 290 km route for a normal 240 km commute and that too with double the toll expenditures & comparatively bad roads, first thought - may be because of some road closures, traffic or similar delays but this was also not the case and as I was well aware of both the routes. I choose the shorter route (which was not even an optional route in google maps at this time) and google maps kept reminding me to take de-tour and go to route recommended by google maps, I was surprised there were no problems in the shorter route and that ended up saving more than an hour of travel, Similar experiences are more frequent these days and that too on simple highway routes. Experience with apple maps is comparatively better but google maps on iphone were traditionally more trusted for me which only recently started acting funny. so now the preference is my own route - Apple maps - Google maps(last) where the maps are mostly used when I do not know the exact route or just to keep checking the ETA destination. I suddenly see resurrection of noble road side direction providers.
Moto_MP is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 27th May 2022, 09:47   #12
BHPian

I use Google maps extensively. It has been a base of my office travel timings since day 1 I started working.

Even though I have been an apple user for more than half a decade, I never found apple maps useful in India, particularly based on GPS accuracy plotted on a map, real time traffic data and easy to use UI.

Google maps is now an inseparable part of my life. I use it traditionally(for travel), to check reviews of places, traffic in area I'm traveling to, to get a rough idea where a place is located etc.

I too agree it redirects sometimes to places not suitable for a car, but that's minimal. Most of the times, it is extremely helpful.

Talking about data privacy, it is a joke nowadays. Good luck protecting your data if you are an internet user. I never cared about it, never will.

Last edited by amods : 27th May 2022 at 09:48.
amods is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th May 2022, 09:52   #13
BHPian

I use Waze. it was created by an isreali company now owned by google. Waze has been the 'google maps' in Isreal and is extremely useful as it is managed by its users. India, it has improved a lot in the last 4 years and has been my companion.

https://www.waze.com/
Boomerang is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th May 2022, 09:52   #14
BHPian

The offline mode of Google maps does not seem to work for me now. Once you are in area with no signal it stops updating the location. THis did not happen before. Wonder if this has happened to anyone else.

The tendency to take you down narrow roads is well known and combined this with offline maps not working I may just try Apple Maps now
neeravnaik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2022, 09:55   #15
BANNED

When i was on Pixel 2XL Google Maps was stupendous. Since i moved to Iphone 12 Google maps experience has been below par and the less i say about Apple Maps the better.

Most Viewed