Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2022, 23:37   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: ICE upgrade conundrum for my 3rd-gen Maruti Swift

Finally, took the big step and decided for installation (at Motor Concept, Kirti Nagar, New Delhi). Post upgrade, the audio setup has become big problem for me.

Now I have to focus more on driving (glancing at the mirrors), as the vehicles around are not as much audible.

On my drive back, between Rajouri Garden and Daula Kuan itself, had two near-miss as I couldn’t hear the vehicles around. It’s not an exaggeration. Earlier I could usually judge the type, speed and location of vehicles around me via hearing as well, in addition to mirrors. Now, have to train my mind to just use the mirrors. Damping has done wonders. Checked with audio on mute and most of the noises are muffled (including tire noise). Whatever are left, are drowned in the music.

The final setup :

1. HU : Stock (Harman Touchscreen)
2. Front & Rear : Morel Maximo 6 MKII components (with inline crossovers)
3. Sub-Woofer : MBQ AW-10e 10inch Active sub (under passenger seat)
4. Damping : All four doors - CTK Standard Professional 2.0mm (2 sheets per door & plastic trim)
5. Sound Absorber : All four door plastic trims - Dr. Artex Lace 15 (1 sheet per door trim)
6. Amp : Not added (not needed, stock HU is able to deliver sufficient power)

(more on points 3, 4 & 5 in subsequent posts)

My Verdict :

To say that I am delighted, would be an understatement. I instinctively started shaking my body, shoulders and head when Mambo No. 5 played.

I really thank all the mentors here on Team-BHP and my friends, for introducing me to this world of ICE and guiding me. Big Thank You to all, for pumping new knowledge and energy at the 40th year in my life.
AutoNoob is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 22:23   #17
Senior - BHPian

How it happened :

Plan to action started with a call to Aman bhaiya (Motor Concepts) on Friday. He okayed morning time-slot on Saturday. He also confirmed availability of Morels (at similar prices as Motorogue). So, decided to go with full equipment and installation from him.

In the meantime, suggestions to add sub-woofer from BHPians PaddleShifter, attinder, viXit, skhattar, nik0502 were playing with my mind. Final kick came from two friends and underseat active sub-woofer made to the list. Planned to add Pioneer WX400DA (8.25”, 100W RMS).

Reached Motor Concepts at 10:40am. Workshop opened precisely on time, 11:00am. Stepping in I felt like a child in Hemleys, gleefully looking at all the equipment which I may not be able to take this time. Never before I looked at car audio setups like this.

Aman bhaiya greeted with smile and handshake. Shared my requirement again with him, he guided to opt for MBQ AW-10e (10”, 120W RMS) underseat sub. For damping, he suggested CTK. Finally I asked about sound absorber foam, he confirmed the benefit, but guided that it’s not mandatory. Still I requested to add this as well.

Important point to note here : Aman bhaiya explained how damping sheets work, how many sheets will be applied to each door & trim set (2 per set) and how they will be applied (selective patches on outer panel, full on inner panel and selective patches on trims). He clarified that applying full on outer panel and inner trim will only give small incremental benefit but make doors too heavy.

After requirements were agreed, he passed on the instructions to team of 5 and team sprung into action. Aman bhaiya walked in few times, observed and went back to other work. No words spoken. Felt like army platoon at work with commanding officer silently inspecting. About the team :
  • Clear definition of roles of each member - what to do and how to do
  • Clean work with Japanese FTR (First Time Right) like approach – no rework required
  • Soft communication amongst themselves (no loud voices, unlike many workshops that I have visited)
  • Smile on their faces
Before closing everything was thoroughly checked. Once the team was satisfied, I was called in to give my opinion. Oh boy !! was my reaction.

By 12:45pm, I was driving out with big grin on my face; reformed.

PS: Photographs will be added later
AutoNoob is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th July 2022, 10:31   #18
BHPian

Cost breakup for each component and which HI LO converter did you use?

I did my install from Motor Concepts in 2014 in City as well, retained the HU and installed components and 4 channel amp, along with sub and damping.

Long story short, the install and overall experience was satisfactory, the Hi Lo converters installed by them used to break frequently resulting in no sound, or no sound in 1 speaker etc, they fixed it for the first year or so but it used to break again and again, after that I got a new converter fixed from Karol Bagh which shockingly lasted 3 more years and costed less than half of what they had charged, now since the last 2 years or so even that has stopped working, but strangely rear speakers which were connected to stock HU directly, one of that has stopped working as well, leaving an overall frustrating experience and frequent visits to get it corrected.

Have decided to not do audio upgrades anymore as like many have said, workmanship is OK from motorconcepts like other places but these things are nowhere near as reliable as stock, something keeps on breaking, Aman had suggested my components which I retained from i20 will be the first to go in one of my later visits and I should install rain guards to avoid it, I did not because of the steep price and surprisingly they work great till date, provided they get the signal!

Anyways this time, for my wife's Brezza, since it has no audio system in LXi, will be getting a Pioneer HU and 4 speakers on doors using the stock wiring and hope it will be reliable because of the simplicity, enquired prices everywhere and got many to match or better Motorogue's prices, will likely get equipments from one place and installed from another, I enquired installation prices from Motorconcepts too and they quoted around 3X others quotes which I did not find worth it as most of the times, it is more or less the same experience in most decent places unless you get it done from the worst of the worst. Will give them a skip this time.
Rocketscience is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 12:29   #19
Senior - BHPian

Got stuck up in some work and personal matters, so wasn't able to respond earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketscience View Post
Cost breakup for each component
Similar to prices available on Motorogue.

Quote:
which HI LO converter did you use?
Couldn't click the photo during installation, now I forgot which one it was.

Quote:
I did my install from Motor Concepts in 2014 in City as well... Long story short, the install and overall experience was satisfactory, the Hi Lo converters installed by them used to break frequently resulting in no sound, or no sound in 1 speaker etc, they fixed it for the first year or so but it used to break again and again... new converter fixed from Karol Bagh which shockingly lasted 3 more years and costed less than half... workmanship is OK from motorconcepts like other places but these things are nowhere near as reliable as stock, something keeps on breaking
Keeping my fingers crossed.

Though I believe, as myself being an engineer with limited experience, people learn overtime from past mistakes. Still, if I face any issues, will share here.

Quote:
for my wife's Brezza, since it has no audio system in LXi, will be getting a Pioneer HU and 4 speakers on doors using the stock wiring and hope it will be reliable because of the simplicity,
You may add atleast FR tweeters, they really bring sound to life. Brezza HU (2022 version) is quite capable. Unit on older version is similar to my Swift and I am happy with the stock HU.

Quote:
will likely get equipments from one place and installed from another,
If I am in your place, I'll try to get equipment and installation from one place only. From past experience, it's much easier to handle if any issues arise. Though I was enticed to get equipment from Motorogue and get installation locally, Motorconcepts offered similar prices and deal was done.

Quote:
I enquired installation prices from Motorconcepts too and they quoted around 3X others quotes
I was charged quite reasonable for the whole damping and installation work. May be some extra margin from equipment helped. Though prices were similar to Motorogue, so I am not complaining. I might have got better prices if I searched more, but for me time waste and hassle is not worth saving 2~3k.
AutoNoob is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks