Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2022, 09:35   #1
BHPian

Installed! 10-inch Android screen in my 9-year old XUV500

So mine is a 9 year old XUV 500. One thing I've hated about most manufacturers is the backward compatibility of new features. I watched with envy as newer models came out with better head units. And I'm stuck with this puny head unit because of 'dependencies'

Enter the Canbus. This is a small piece of hardware that they install between the head unit and every other connection. This seems to ensure that functionality isn't lost.

My head unit was stock for so many years. The GPS conked out and stopped working at least 5 years ago. Since their stock maps were pathetic and I always had Google Maps on my mobile, I didn't miss much.

The car's done 93K so far. No issues note mentioning. And the wait for the 700 is now almost 2 years!

So what do we do in the meantime?

How about looking up upgrades to the head unit... and so my search started. I came across one vendor who seemed to have good reviews. I was always worried about lost functionality - since climate control, etc are all displayed on the screen. Plus I didn't want to lose the steering controls.

A few years back I had changed the speakers (Mahindra provides pathetic speakers for a premium car) and also added an Amp and a Sub with an inbuilt Amp. I faced the dreaded disturbance in sound and lived with it for a couple of years by keeping gain to the minimum.

The idiot who installed it didn't really know how to do the job. And a few weeks back, the amp blew.

That was the sign I was waiting for: to get it rewired and pimped up.

This particular vendor that I went to next - did a great job with the upgrade. (After the initial irritation at long wait times) I spent almost an entire day undoing the damage and wiping the slate clean. In the process of connecting my rear cam to the new head unit, the rear tail light has developed a huge crack.

I've not lost much functionality. From what I figured, it's only Tyre Tronics. And I still need to figure out where to access the fuel average. Otherwise, steering controls, climate control, everything else is seen and controlled on screen and in satisfying working condition.

This unit has Picture in Picture as well. So you can listen and watch a song while your maps are up. It has a slot for a sim - so it can have its own connection to the internet. If that's too much of a hassle, you can pair it with the hotspot and use the device like any other android touch screen. Download apps from the android store, etc.

Total damage - about 37k.
Does not include the new amp. And the high-low converter (which I think can sort the dreaded hiss that many older XUVs have reported)

Cons so far:
- Unit goes off for a short while (not as much as the OE unit turning off) while restarting the car.
- No user manual. So it's mostly learn by trial and error.
- Very high install time, but that's a one off.
- Wasn't a thorough job - had to go back again to get the camera connected.
- They don't test everything before letting you go
- Don't expect undivided attention

The apps screen
Installed! 10-inch Android screen in my 9-year old XUV500-apps.jpeg

Maps
Installed! 10-inch Android screen in my 9-year old XUV500-maps-car-play.jpeg

Maps plus video in Picture in Picture mode
Installed! 10-inch Android screen in my 9-year old XUV500-pip.jpeg

Climate control settings and display
Installed! 10-inch Android screen in my 9-year old XUV500-settings.jpeg

Youtube
Installed! 10-inch Android screen in my 9-year old XUV500-youtube.jpeg

Here's a short video -

Just been a week since install. So that's as much experience as I have with the unit. Need to go on a long drive to test it. Not sure about sharing vendor details here, so ping me and I'll be happy to share the phone number, etc. This dealer has a tie-up with vendors in other states as well. I've asked for Mumbai. Also know another vendor who has several YouTube videos for those in Hyderabad. But this particular vendor is in Bangalore.

Been several years since I made a post. That's how exciting this upgrade feels each time I slide into the drivers seat and I hear the boom boom boom

Last edited by libranof1987 : 16th August 2022 at 11:18. Reason: Two smileys/post
triedeverything is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 16th August 2022, 10:30   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Installed! 10-inch Android screen in my 9-year old XUV500

Quote:
Originally Posted by triedeverything View Post
Here's a short video - https://Youtu.be/0-EAArE_t5g
Just been a week since install. So that's as much experience as I have with the unit. Need to go on a long drive to test it.
Not sure about sharing vendor details here... so ping me... and I'll be happy to share the phone number, etc. This dealer has a tie-up with vendors in other states as well. I've asked for Mumbai. Also know another vendor who has several YouTube videos for those in Hyderabad. But this particular vendor is in Bangalore.
Please share the details here itself. A PM helps one person, a public post helps thousands . Thank you!
GTO is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 17th August 2022, 11:39   #3
BHPian

Congratulation on your new install. Installed a 10 inch Android Headunit 2 years ago in my Honda City 2014. Work was done by a vendor in Thrissur Kerala. Disappointed with the overall work due to very poor touch responsiveness, low RAM, random turning off and on over time. Looking to upgrade. Had a few questions for you.

1. How costly was the head unit android tablet including the installation? (You have mentioned 37k, but could you provide a breakdown?)

2. What are the specifications of the headunit? (RAM, Android Version, Storage)

3. Any warranty on these units?

4. Does your headunit support Apple Carplay?

Thank you in advance
vandemanw is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th August 2022, 12:15   #4
BHPian

Congratulations on the upgrade. I have a 2017 XUV 500 W10 and have been contemplating a head unit and audio upgrade for a while and have been delaying it as I didn't want to lose the car info. I am not a big fan of android systems too. Now I see light at the end of the tunnel. Could you share the system and installer details with a breakdown of costs? Thanks in advance.
Old 17th August 2022, 13:25   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

This unit has Picture in Picture as well. So you can listen and watch a song while your maps are up. It has a slot for a sim - so it can have its own connection to the internet. If that's too much of a hassle, you can pair it with the hotspot and use the device like any other android touch screen. Download apps from the android store, etc.
So is it a 2/32 or 4/64 GB unit? How do you see the response of the unit compared to stock?
Old 17th August 2022, 14:47   #6
BHPian

IMO such large screens are a nuisance. I can't imagine driving with such a screen on especially at night! OEMs these days are in a mad rush to increase the size and brightness of the in dash screens. I won't be surprised if such screens are an underlying cause of many mishaps on the roads.

If at all required, a small screen with basic functions like a map, radio and a reverse camera is more than enough. None of my cars have a screen - and I have absolutely no trouble driving or navigating without one.
kushagra452 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2022, 18:02   #7
BHPian

I have got installed BRAZO BMX A900 9" system in my Elite i20 18 months back, it works absolutely fine so far. I have narrowed down to Brazo after doing my own research. Mine is 2Gb Ram / 32gb storage version. Also got a chances to check couple of other low priced systems like Hamaan, Woodman, etc, found they have only half of the Ram/storage, Older Android version than what they claim in their manual and system user interface, this was found when I used CPU-Z App. Only Brazo was shown the correct numbers. The low cost systems were lagging badly & the call quality was also pretty bad
MathanK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2022, 19:37   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandemanw View Post
Congratulation on your new install. Installed a 10 inch Android Headunit 2 years ago in my Honda City 2014. Work was done by a vendor in Thrissur Kerala. Disappointed with the overall work due to very poor touch responsiveness, low RAM, random turning off and on over time. Looking to upgrade. Had a few questions for you.

1. How costly was the head unit android tablet including the installation? (You have mentioned 37k, but could you provide a breakdown?)

2. What are the specifications of the headunit? (RAM, Android Version, Storage)

3. Any warranty on these units?

4. Does your headunit support Apple Carplay?

Thank you in advance
Responsiveness is decent, much better than stock for sure. Doesn't restart randomly. Does restart when the car restarts... but is back up pretty quickly... under 3 seconds usually.

The headhunt is 4 GB ram /64 GB memory unit. Costs 33K after discount.
Installation is free. But the Canbus is another 4.5K. Warranty is 1 year. CarPlay is supported - but haven't tested since I use only Android.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Av8r View Post
Congratulations on the upgrade. I have a 2017 XUV 500 W10 and have been contemplating a head unit and audio upgrade for a while and have been delaying it as I didn't want to lose the car info. I am not a big fan of android systems too. Now I see light at the end of the tunnel. Could you share the system and installer details with a breakdown of costs? Thanks in advance.
Please see above reply for breakdown. If it's only the headhunt, it's 33K + 4.5k
I had other work like replacing the amp, rewiring the speakers, plus some thing they called the high low adapter. All this was extra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
So is it a 2/32 or 4/64 GB unit? How do you see the response of the unit compared to stock?
4/64 GB. Much better than stock. Any day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushagra452 View Post
IMO such large screens are a nuisance. I can't imagine driving with such a screen on especially at night! OEMs these days are in a mad rush to increase the size and brightness of the in dash screens. I won't be surprised if such screens are an underlying cause of many mishaps on the roads.

If at all required, a small screen with basic functions like a map, radio and a reverse camera is more than enough. None of my cars have a screen - and I have absolutely no trouble driving or navigating without one.
There's an option to switch off just the screen. You can also reduce brightness. Plus if it's so much of a bother - look for curtains/blinds
At the end of the day - to each his own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathanK View Post
I have got installed BRAZO BMX A900 9" system in my Elite i20 18 months back, it works absolutely fine so far. I have narrowed down to Brazo after doing my own research. Mine is 2Gb Ram / 32gb storage version. Also got a chances to check couple of other low priced systems like Hamaan, Woodman, etc, found they have only half of the Ram/storage, Older Android version than what they claim in their manual and system user interface, this was found when I used CPU-Z App. Only Brazo was shown the correct numbers. The low cost systems were lagging badly & the call quality was also pretty bad
I would suggest to go for more RAM/Storage anyday. They have a 2GB/32GB unit as well. But even they wouldn't recommend it. With multiple applications open, plus all the existing feature information - it is bound to slow down.
triedeverything is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th August 2022, 20:54   #9

I also went for an upgrade recently and the car in question is Honda city 2017 model.I lived with the so called Digipad which came along with the car for almost 5years before deciding one day that I need to get rid if this junk.Went for Hypersonic 4GB/64GB HU with apple carplay which costed me 33K including installation.So far happy with the upgrade and no issues whatsoever.
Roadistan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2022, 15:42   #10
BHPian

Quote:
My head unit was stock for so many years. The GPS conked out and stopped working at least 5 years ago. Since their stock maps were pathetic and I always had Google Maps on my mobile, I didn't miss much.
In the same boat. In a dilemma between Android vs Sony/Pioneer.
Would like to know if you had considered any of the Sony/Pioneer/JVC/rest of the regular 2 din head units. And have you explored the option of fitting any of the non-android regular 2 din HU without changing the original fascia? I'd like to retain the CD player thats there in the original fascia.
How is the sound quality of the android HU? Any idea about the RMS rating per channel?
Lot of questions, I know.

Last edited by jeeva : 21st August 2022 at 15:44.
Old 22nd August 2022, 09:34   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathanK View Post
Thanks. All competing options look deceptively the same online. Same size and trapezoidal shape. And renderings that do not reflect the actual screen resolution.

Can you recommend any outlet where they retail and install Brazo units in Bangalore? And what price range was the A900 at 18 months ago?
Old 22nd August 2022, 09:41   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Enter the Canbus. This is a small piece of hardware that they install between the head unit and every other connection. This seems to ensure that functionality isn't lost.
With the Canbus/ OBD2 connection is it showing any more parameters than the stock head unit showed?
Did it out of the box connect with the stock rear parking/ proximity sensors, and reverse camera?
Old 22nd August 2022, 09:43   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Not sure about sharing vendor details here, so ping me and I'll be happy to share the phone number, etc.
Please do share the vendor in Bangalore.
Did he have the compatible console frame plate for the XUV handy? Or did you have to order it from elsewhere?
Old 22nd August 2022, 10:18   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushagra452 View Post

Totally agree with you. Next would be a flatron running the entire dashboard I guess. Why would someone need YouTube on a car screen? I mean literally everyone on the planet now uses a smartphone, so the debate of the co-passenger using it is thrown out of the window. The screen size and the functionality is scary to me. I just hope there is a regulation on the screen size and the features it has to offer. Can't imagine someone using YouTube and driving a car.
Raghu M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2022, 07:11   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardofid View Post
Thanks. All competing options look deceptively the same online. Same size and trapezoidal shape. And renderings that do not reflect the actual screen resolution.

Can you recommend any outlet where they retail and install Brazo units in Bangalore? And what price range was the A900 at 18 months ago?
Hi Wizardofid, you can try at "Glamour car accessories, 7th block, Koramangala", price was around 18-24k, you might get 2 different options i.e. 2gb/32gb and 4gb/64gb, you can contact Syed +91 98861 66827 at Glamour for more details and availability, their post sales support also good
MathanK is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks