Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2022, 02:00   #1

Upgraded my audio system, but mid-range is lacking | How to fix it?

Hi, this is my first post , so I will be as concise as possible. I have recently upgraded car audio to pioneer head unit + 4 door Hertz dsk165 component speakers+ Sony xplod amplifier+ Harman infinity subwoofer with damping in all doors and dicky door. Mind you, it's one of hell audio system to show off. However I feel it lacking it in a mid range ( to be specific precise tabla taals in Bollywood songs). Any ideas what can be upgraded or any change in amp settings?( EQ in head unit already adjusted to give best of mid range). Any ideas will be helpful. Thanks in advance. The car is Nissan Micra active 2013 model.
Old 6th December 2022, 13:59   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Upgraded my audio system, but mid-range is lacking | How to fix it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrobeam View Post
Hi, this is my first post, so I will be as concise as possible. I have recently upgraded car audio to pioneer head unit + 4 door Hertz dsk165 component speakers+ Sony Xplod amplifier+ Harman infinity subwoofer with damping in all doors and dicky door. Mind you, it's one hell of an audio system to show off. However, I feel it lacks mid-range (to be specific, precise tabla taals in Bollywood songs). Any ideas on what can be upgraded or any change in amp settings? (the EQ in the head unit has already been adjusted to give the best of mid-range). Any ideas will be helpful. Thanks in advance. The car is Nissan Micra active 2013 model.
I am a little confused. You have already adjusted the EQ settings to get the best midrange. Typically this would also mean reducing the bass and treble to bring attention to the midrange.

The fundamental frequency for a tabla ranges from 100-800Hz (see link). What type of EQ controls does your head unit have? If it is 2-band (bass and treble) controls, it might not be able to accentuate tabla frequencies. A 10-band EQ, for example, would offer you more control.

Source: https://wiki.ubc.ca/Course:Phys341_2...me_Development

Assuming your head unit has only bass and treble controls, bass and treble controls are typically centred around 100Hz and 10kHz, respectively. If you have boosted either of these controls, you might have inadvertently reduced the focus on instruments like the tabla (and male voices).
navin is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2022, 14:29   #3
BHPian

Hi, if your speakers are only slightly lacking in mids, I suspect it could be because of the Sony amp. Sony audio products are known for having a very consumer oriented V-shaped sound signature. You could EQ it out.
vedirah is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 12:28   #4

First off, hearty congratulations to you for the upgrade.
Now for any of us to be able to help you better, we would like to know the model number of the equipment's (HU and Amp) installed. Also, is it a single damping or double damping or triple damping on the doors (incl the boot).

Single damping is just 1 layer of damping, usually put up on the exterior sheet of the door but from the inside.
Double damping is 1 layer of damping each on the exterior sheet from the inside AND the door frame on which the door pad sits.
Triple damping includes damping the door pad also from the inside over and above the double damping.

I was running on Double damping for about 6-7 months, chose to get the triple done and trust me, not placebo effect but it did make a good amount of difference to the audio quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrobeam View Post
Hi, this is my first post , so I will be as concise as possible.
singh.b86 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed