Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2007, 09:25   #1
Senior - BHPian

Can't we produce clean bass in a car's cabin?

I had an interesting discussion/debate with a guy on mouthshut.com regarding bass in cars. He tend to think that we can't produce clean bass in cars because cabin is too small as compared to bass wavelengths. I wanted to know what ICE Gurus thing about it. Refer to following link, and see the first comment onwards by "jukana" (this weired ID is mine) and the follow up with "kspv" who wrote the original review there (he is a tbhp member too, guess with the same ID):

Read comment on Advice on Choosing a Car Audio - MouthShut.com
Old 17th July 2007, 12:44   #2
BHPian

Santosh, companies make speakers specifically for the car environment. They take into consideration several things while designing speakers for a car.
You should sit in JBL's demo car (the Eyeballer) to see how much bass can be produced in a car.
Old 17th July 2007, 13:14   #3
Team-BHP Support

Vivek, you dont need a demo car, LBM's swift I'm told has decent bass too.
Old 17th July 2007, 13:24   #4
Senior - BHPian

Vivek/Navinji, yes, actually I am convinced enough that we CAN enjoy a lot of bass in cars, have experienced it on many occasions. You might have noticed (in case you had enough patience to read that link in its entirety) that I was arguing against the person who says we can't do that.

My purpose of opening this thread was to go deeper into technical aspects and:

1. Cross check my understanding on the matter of "low frequencies inside small enclosed spaces" from experts here who eat, breathe and live ICE! (Because I tried, but could not find much information from other sources to support it)

2. Learn more on what exactly the problem is, what are the things to be taken care of and how are they tackled in car specific subs/speakers.

(BTW, I understand that, on an average, this is going to be a boring topic here. But I hope at least a few will like it and participate!)
Old 17th July 2007, 13:26   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivekphadnis View Post
Santosh, companies make speakers specifically for the car environment. They take into consideration several things while designing speakers for a car.
You should sit in JBL's demo car (the Eyeballer) to see how much bass can be produced in a car.
OT: which place do they have this setup in bangalore? can i know the address please?
Old 17th July 2007, 13:45   #6
Team-BHP Support

santosh, boundraies only reinforce certain freq and their overtones (today these are called harmonics). That does not mean that one cannot produce 20hz in a room that is 10x10. One can but one would need careful placement of the speakers, and damping and diffusion to control the nodes and overtones.

Similarly for the car.
Old 17th July 2007, 13:51   #7
Senior - BHPian

So, how is a car sub different from home sub (Ignoring all electrical or environmental factors) ?
Old 17th July 2007, 15:09   #8
Senior - BHPian

OEO, IMHO there would be no difference if one were to treat them as "transducers", components (of a system) which have their own characteristics. Treated as systems, they are as different as chalk and cheese.

In HT discussions it is frequently said that very low frequency (the domain of subs) signals do not contribute to imaging. Slightly higher, at woofer level, that is untrue: you wouldn't like the "HT system" to make the sound of an explosion - spatially in front of you on the video - come from the side or behind. This is out pf place in car ICE, since there is no video reference, and sound stage (mid-bass+treble) is normally the spatial field in front of you (somehow, everyone just HAS to assume that musicians are ALWAYS bang in front of you, never to the left or right field or behind). Though my example sounds OT, I am giving an example of "systems" v/s "components".

System includes signal, content, and all transducers including ears and brain - with a rather maddening variety of interplay between these. We try to scientifically "model" at the component level to understand the system or to create good components (excpet our ears). Sometimes it works well, other times missing pieces make a mess of the picture.

There is always a relationship between components and system behaviour. Loosely put, one says "mediocre components can make a good system if they are matched well".

What Navin is talking "low frequency system" as opposed to your "low frequency transducer". In other threads also, discussion has gone for a toss when the differentiation, coupled with generalization, has spawned "parallel lines discussions". Why? Quite obviously one party is talking at system level, the other at component level - with the added complication that thinking is befuddled by frequent jumping between the two without realizing *that* fact.

I am sure others have more knowledge of the pieces in the modelling puzzle in the subwoofer debate, I am only trying to get the process right first.

So, OEO, lead, kindly light!
Old 17th July 2007, 15:45   #9
Team-BHP Support

Actually I thought I was adressing santosh's query correctly.

Like I said earlier the reason we are able to produce bass that is lower than the wavelengths supported by the boundaries (in a car or in a home) is that we are
1. able to damp all resonance nodes and their overtones sufficiently enough for these low frequencies to be heard
2. have the amps and subs that can produce such low frequencies with a modicum of definition and power
3. we have specific passages in music that sound nicer if this "last octave" is present in some form.

Car audio equipment and Home Audio equipment are both as capable of this.
Old 17th July 2007, 16:06   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Actually I thought I was adressing santosh's query correctly... Car audio equipment and Home Audio equipment are both as capable of this.
Indubitably you did, Navin-ji, in your inimicable style.

I was talking about what happened after that: OEO asked "how is a car sub different from home sub (Ignoring all electrical or environmental factors)": sub as a component. Your answer was at system level. (Your last sentence in the above post is again at component level; sheesh, I am sounding conceited)

The difference actually causes other readers to go in different directions, as we have seen in a different thread. It is possible for 2 persons to be right at the same time, if they are on parallel tracks.
Old 17th July 2007, 16:33   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
OEO asked "how is a car sub different from home sub (Ignoring all electrical or environmental factors)"
Yes, I meant- what is so special about "car" subs that makes them better suitable for car's acoustics?

Point 2 in Navinji's post says that they are only required to produce moderate amount of power/definition. Is that the only differentiating point?

Regarding system versus components, I agree with you. However one needs to understand each component well before doing any "matching" at system level. Because otherwise you could be messing things up instead! And the best way to understand any component is to focus exclusively on it while isolating anything else, right?

BTW, DerAlte, when I said "a few will like it and participate", I was actually quite sure about you! Why are you calling me OEO, what does that mean?
Old 17th July 2007, 16:55   #12
BHPian

I have heard enough bass from 10 meters away that it was enough to give heart attack to a old and average person , and by it i mean clean and clear bass i dont know what they guy had installed in his car ,other than that why re so expensive amps woofers and base tube/sub woofers used if you cant have good bass
Old 17th July 2007, 17:03   #13
Senior - BHPian

Hmm the differnce I think in a home audio and the car audio sub are..

Firstly the car audio sub are more robust built so that it can resist the beating of the hot environment of the car. Also the car audio subs are made to keep there enclosure volume less. or they can perform in smaller volumes boxes when compared to home audio. Since they are made for smaller boxes they have large excursion to make them loud and low at the same time. also there RMS rating are also quite high. than a normal home audio sub. Some Theile parameters are also different when compared to both

These are some general terms for layman person like me.

For more detailed one we have to wait for Ajay Bhai, Sam Bhai and Navin Ji to chip in.
Old 17th July 2007, 17:22   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post
one needs to understand each component well before doing any "matching" at system level. ...
Why are you calling me OEO, what does that mean?
(OEO = O Enlightened One! I had explanied why elsewhere)

You are absolutly right, to get the system right, each component must be understood in isolation.

Even I am waiting for the gurus' knowledge and views on Subwoofer drivers (HT and ICE). Uee habh hard Nobhin-ji and LBM-da, now uee are oetting phor Gunobir and Clip-da and athars to shay shamtheeng. Hoeyar eej Sham?

Last edited by DerAlte : 17th July 2007 at 17:23.
Old 17th July 2007, 18:21   #15
BHPian

Sam Bhai arent you hearing this....Please bring some clean BASS to this thread...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks