Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2023, 11:48   #1
Senior - BHPian

48-inch screens for the Lincoln Nautilus SUV; Spans the entire dashboard's width

Lincoln has unveiled its latest full-size SUV, the Nautilus, with a bold new exterior and interior.

The SUV's interior is centred around a massive 48-inch display spanning the entire width of the dashboard. The large display is integrated into a unique trim piece on the dashboard, which is backlit by colour-changing LEDs.

48-inch screens for the Lincoln Nautilus SUV; Spans the entire dashboard's width-nautilus.jpg

The display consists of two 24.0-inch screens, one for the digital instrument cluster for the driver and the other in front of the passenger. The slightly higher position of the large 48-inch display is said to be in the line of sight for the driver, allowing them to access information without taking their eyes off the road ahead.

The Nautilus also comes with an 11.1-inch touchscreen in the conventional position, which can control the information shown on the 48-inch display. The massive display is also easily customisable, allowing users to drag and drop different widgets from the touchscreen. It also gets a 'calm' mode, which completely shuts off the right screen.

The large display is also part of the SUV's "Lincoln Rejuvenate" feature, wherein the screen, audio system, interior lighting and the seat's massage functions put up a combined performance to re-energise the driver. The SUV also disperses three fragrances throughout the cabin as part of the Rejuvenate function.

Source: CarAndDriver

Link to Team-BHP news
RahulNagaraj is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 20th April 2023, 13:02   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 48-inch screens for the Lincoln Nautilus SUV; Spans the entire dashboard's width

First time i saw these, was waiting for the pics to load on the Evo India page. The first pic I saw was of the 11.1 inch conventional touchscreen, and I thought what's the big deal, before swiping and huge dashboard spanning screen.

That said, prefer this any day over the portrait screen with not a button/knob in sight. Also this reminds me of the interiors of 90s Lincolns, especially the cabin of the Mark series coupes.

Last edited by vb-saan : 20th April 2023 at 13:23. Reason: Typos
DicKy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th April 2023, 14:52   #3
BHPian

Re: 48-inch screens for the Lincoln Nautilus SUV; Spans the entire dashboard's width

When a good 1/3rd of the 48 inch screen is being used up to show the weather, you know that they're running out of actually useful content to fill up all that real-estate.

All a good screen (or set of screens) needs to do is; basic vehicle information, maps and music. Anything else is extra features being shoehorned in to fill out a marketing brochure.
kadanaJ is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th April 2023, 15:44   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadanaJ View Post
When a good 1/3rd of the 48 inch screen is being used up to show the weather, you know that they're running out of actually useful content to fill up all that real-estate.
1/3rd - Weather section
1/3rd - Breaking news section
1/3rd - Music section
Tablet - Map section

I think car-related stuff can be shown on the steering wheel. I see there is some space.

Last edited by msdivy : 20th April 2023 at 15:46.
msdivy is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 20th April 2023, 22:49   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulNagaraj View Post
L
Attachment 2442081

The display consists of two 24.0-inch screens, one for the digital instrument cluster for the driver and the other in front of the passenger. The slightly higher position of the large 48-inch display is said to be in the line of sight for the driver, allowing them to access information without taking their eyes off the road ahead.

The large display is also part of the SUV's "Lincoln Rejuvenate" feature, wherein the screen, audio system, interior lighting and the seat's massage functions put up a combined performance to re-energise the driver. The SUV also disperses three fragrances throughout the cabin as part of the Rejuvenate function.

Source: CarAndDriver

Link to Team-BHP news
Cannot believe the way automobile manufacturers are introducing new features to stay competitive in the market . 8 inch, 10 inch agreed.48 inch display? Fragnance dispenser? I somehow feel manufacturers are more or less saturated in terms of features that can be offered in vehicles nowadays. With BEVs catching up, the delta between average performance and strong performance shall become much lesser compared to ICE engines. Most EVs should be neutral or agile handlers because of the position of the battery packs. Major differentiation between brands will be only in design and features offered. I wonder what all the features future cars from 2033 would be equipped with.

Touchscreen based steering anyone?

Last edited by vshankarhere : 20th April 2023 at 22:50.
vshankarhere is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st April 2023, 09:01   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadanaJ View Post
All a good screen (or set of screens) needs to do is; basic vehicle information, maps and music. Anything else is extra features being shoehorned in to fill out a marketing brochure.
Very true. I found it more of an information overload.

Although the co-passenger would be happy playing his/her contents in the screen but it is certainly a big distraction for the driver when co-passenger is continuously fiddling with the selector bottom below the dashboard.

If we leave above aspect, the design theme looks well integrated, upmarket and classy.
Old 21st April 2023, 09:05   #7
BHPian

Looks like the automobile industry is becoming like the smartphone industry where new launches are just focused on new camera addition with a zoom to capture moon, bigger display's etc.

The automobile industry too is just busy adding display screens wherever possible in the cabin.
any23 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2023, 05:04   #8
BHPian

Why more screens? Throughout the day I am just looking at screens. Be that of a computer or a mobile. When I am on my favourite road with my favourite car I just want to enjoy the drive and not be reminded of my pathetic screen staring life. A nice set of orange backlight dials showing the bare minimum info is all that I want.

That was a poor chap talking who cannot afford a Licoln. Well for an actual Lincoln owner the case might be different. Maybe its being driven by a chauffeur and he is just sipping wine at the back. Heck the driver may even enjoy the screens as its his job and who doesn't like 3 surround monitors when working?

Last edited by racer_7 : 22nd April 2023 at 05:10.
Old 22nd April 2023, 06:51   #9
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

In the 1970’s and 1980’s SCI Fi films it was somehow cool to be peering at a bank of electronic screens.
Now that it is a grim reality during almost every facet and phase of our lives, why do we have to also endure it in our cars?
I wonder, whether this is also one of those ‘fads’.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2023, 08:40   #10
Senior - BHPian

I am just wondering what crime did the rear passengers do that you are not providing separation screen and at least a 50 inch LED. Go ahead and provide big screens at the rear too pls. The screen size is just outrageous. Anything beyond a 10 inch screen is just pure distraction for the driver. Is that a plane that they need to keep checking multiple vitals of the car? With the traffic these days, there is no perfect solution to ADAS and they keep coming up with such gimmicks.
Old 22nd April 2023, 14:40   #11
BHPian

To All - who feel outrageous with this panoramic driver/passenger info display, I would say let it settle in.

I commented this earlier too - that one of the future growth for Electronics is in Automotive otherwise the Mobile industry has saturated. Hence you see Google and Apple vying for a slice of this Automotive pie.

OEMs are very conscious of customers trend and choice. Mobile industry went thru similar churn in the last 8-10yrs. People said same when Samsung started increasing the display size with Galaxy Note but we all know where Mobile industry ended now. We accepted big screens as default now and most of the productive work happens on the phone itself without even opening laptop (let alone desktop)

By the way, if anytime people feel the display is distracting (for e.g. night) then there is a calm mode to turn off and reduce any glare. But trust me the display is very soothing to eyes than a glare. The themes used are as such. Also the panoramic display can be customized with widgets so it's not just weather, other options are there. Check YouTube where the reviews show this. Customers can customize to their choice then it won't be a gimmick but a useful feature.

Needless to say, I worked in this product development But I'm not biased because of that. I've been working in Automotive Infotainment for 15+yrs now and understand the trend and change.

So let it settle in and you'll all accept. BMW and Mercedes have these type screen for few years now. So other premium OEM brands are catching up.

This trend will reach India soon as well, as you see MG using a 14inch tablet Infotainment. Call it bling but OEMs who don't catch up on this trend will be left behind.
darthvader001 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks