Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2023, 12:44   #1
Senior - BHPian

Roll-up infotainment screens could change the interiors of future cars; New tech in the works

According to media reports, Hyundai Mobis is said to be developing a new in-car display technology in the form of roll-up screens. These new roll-up screens can be made to display as much or as little information as required based on the situation at hand.

Reports state that the advent of OLED technology has allowed displays to become flexible & bendable. While the technology has already made its way to smartphones and TV screens, Hyundai Mobis claims it is the first time the tech has been applied on an in-vehicle infotainment display.

Roll-up infotainment screens could change the interiors of future cars; New tech in the works-hyundairollupscreens.jpg

With the new roll-up tech, screens can be hidden away in the dashboard when not in use, giving more freedom to designers. Also, the roll-up tech is customisable. So, when driving, only a small part of the screen can be shown displaying only the necessary information. However, when charging or parked, the entire screen can be rolled-up to access all the features and tech on offer. Hyundai Mobis claims it can roll up a screen as big as 30 inches into a small 4.7-inch space in the dashboard.

Hyundai Mobis stated that the tech has already attracted the interest of a number of customers worldwide. This suggests that the tech might not be limited to its parent company, Hyundai Motor Group. The company also mentioned that this tech is appealing, in particular, to European and North American luxury brands.

Source: CarScoops

Link to Team-BHP news
RahulNagaraj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th April 2023, 14:27   #2
BHPian

Re: Roll-up infotainment screens could change the interiors of future cars; New tech in the works

It looks nice, but sad to see car gaints investing in screens and other less useful areas. Honestly, this solves the problem that never existed.

In an ideal world, if car manufacturers gives me a car without the screen and just a place holder to hold a tab(ipad or android tab) or phone and a manufacturer's app that works like ICE, i would be very happy.

We can even get rid off android auto, apple car play, bluetooth pairing as well. I'm fine with paying subscription for the app and i can use the same ipad everywhere, not just inside car. We can reduce lot of e-waste in the long run too.

And I understand, its pretty hard to reach that level of agreement with all manufacturers.
ramki.grandhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2023, 15:58   #3
BHPian

Re: Roll-up infotainment screens could change the interiors of future cars; New tech in the works

In our market, I think the best example I have seen of retracting screen is from Audi A6 C7.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks