Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2023, 12:57   #1

Bluetooth issues | Thinking of getting a new head-unit

Hi All,

Trust you all are doing well!

I need some advice /help Concerning my Ford Figo 2014 Titanium diesels Audio System.

Whenever we connect Bluetooth and take a call through the car's audio system, there is a continuous whistling kind of disturbance that the other person or caller gets to hear.

I got it checked locally in Delhi as the Ford service centre guys said that it needs to be sent to Chennai (Mount Electronics-Shenoy Nagar, Chennai, Tamil Nadu 600030). The problem got solved for a week or so but was back in the same capacity/level.

Eventually, I arranged for someone to go to Chennai where the Ford service centre personnel had suggested. It seems it is the authorized supplier /vendor for Ford.
Upon diagnosis, the folks there suggested that it is a very old system and due to the new Bluetooth versions in mobile phones, this problem arises.

Now after exhausting all the possible options, I feel I need to get a new music system fitted. Since this is the first time I will be getting a system installed other than the factory-installed variant, I don't know where to start.

Currently, I am in Bangalore with the vehicle and will stay here for a year or so.

I need the guidance of fellow members on the followings;

1) Any recommended brands or companies which I can opt for?

2) The recommended products are normally plug-and-play systems or various wires will be cut to fit in?
I am sceptical about the consequences of wires being cut and joined with tapes and other stuff. Have read so many threads on the negative aspects of such modifications?

3) Are Any reasonable shops or places in Bangalore where I can get this activity done??

It will be a great help if fellow members can guide me here! Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Bluetooth issues | Thinking of getting a new head-unit-pic1.jpeg  

Bluetooth issues | Thinking of getting a new head-unit-pic2.jpeg  

Lanuk@07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2023, 00:02   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Bluetooth issues | Thinking of getting a new head-unit

Don't fret please - solution is simple. You can choose either a single din or double din unit as you wish. If you need rear camera support, go for a double din; else a single din should be fine - cost also will vary based on it.

Lots of brands available to pick - Pioneer / Alpine / JVC / Sony and the list goes on. All these will have a plug and play option, so nothing to worry. In Bangalore, any good installers are fine - I used Sachin's Autoshop in Koramangala and hope they still are operational. Otherwise, JC road also has lots of options.

You can also check with Ford service whether they can install if you purchase the HU and give it to them. They shouldn't quite deny it.
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2023, 00:21   #3
BHPian

As @swiftnfurious noted yours is very straightforward solution. You can thank your lucky stars that you are not stuck with the ‘Sync by Microsoft’ system. Then you would have no option but to junk the whole system and loose some functionality like auto wipers and auto fold of OVRM as I would have to in my Global Fiesta.

Since you now have the option of 2 Din, you can even opt for CarPlay and Android Auto.
PratikPatel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2023, 00:21   #4
BHPian

It's weird that it is malfunctioning because of BT version differences. But if your mind is set on replacing the stock system, I'd suggest the Sony XAV 5500. I have been using it for more than a month now in my Aspire diesel.

If your car wasn't a Ford, I'd have suggested the Pioneer DMH 4450 BT or 5450 BT. Both are great systems and are significantly more VFM than the XAV 5500, but for some reason they seem to have issues with some Ford cars (too long to boot up, freezing issues). I personally know 5 such cases, two Ecosports and three gen 2 Figos. I don't know if gen 1 Figo is more compatible with the unit than gen 2, you can try both systems at your local accesories shop, and if the DMH 4450 BT works fine then I'd recommend that. DMH 5450 BT costs about 8k more and you get wireless Android Auto/CarPlay.

Last edited by SaiSW : 12th May 2023 at 00:23.
SaiSW is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2023, 12:30   #5
BHPian

Re: Bluetooth issues | Thinking of getting a new head-unit

Before you buy a new head unit, I would suggest trying this head unit with

1) An old phone which may have an old Bluetooth(to see if their analysis is right)
2) Aux Cable to check if its not a speaker problem
3) Could it be a problem solved with this ground loop noise isolater https://www.flipkart.com/tantra-grou...meyem4suufgaqu
4) Trying a external Bluetooth like this https://www.amazon.in/Tantra-Fluke-P...zcF9hdGY&psc=1.
Old 15th May 2023, 18:06   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanuk@07 View Post
Whenever we connect Bluetooth and take a call through the car's audio system, there is a continuous whistling kind of disturbance that the other person or caller gets to hear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaSing View Post
Before you buy a new head unit, I would suggest trying this head unit with

1) An old phone which may have an old Bluetooth (to see if their analysis is right)
2) Aux Cable to check if its not a speaker problem
3) Could it be a problem solved with this ground loop noise isolater https://www.flipkart.com/tantra-grou...meyem4suufgaqu
4) Trying a external Bluetooth like this https://www.amazon.in/Tantra-Fluke-P...zcF9hdGY&psc=1.
As only the other party is hearing noises, I suggest that you also check the hands-free mic in the vehicle and it's connections.

Quote:
Upon diagnosis, the folks there suggested that it is a very old system and due to the new Bluetooth versions in mobile phones, this problem arises.
I am a mechanical engineer with almost no knowledge of Bluetooth protocols. However, from what I have read, newer versions (in phones) are backward compatible to support older devices. And if the issue really related to the Bluetooth, both sides should observe the disturbances.
Old 17th May 2023, 09:52   #7

Thanks for your revert. The authorized vendor for Ford in Chennai changed the mic and the problem seems to have gone away. Fingers crossed, the mic was replaced in Delhi also at a repair shop and the problem had gone away for a few weeks.

I hope this time it does not turn out to be a repetition. if it repeats, I am straight away going with a new piece recommended by fellow Bhpians.
Lanuk@07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2023, 13:19   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

If replacement is the option - I'd pick between a SONY XAV unit with android auto/apple car play (if budget no bar, it will be approx 30K) and an Android HU. Typically Android HUs are quite cost effective and cover multiple bases including video playback, multi-camera inputs, amplifier pre-outs etc. And they always come with car model specific PnP pigtails. I've used many of them - and currently using 2 in my cars. Haven't yet found a single issue with them yet.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks