Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2007, 01:06   #1
j_j

Needed Help in Connectiong a Mono Sub Out to a AMP

Hi Team-BHP

I have a question here…. I am sure the gurus here will come out with a solution real soon. Please scroll down to last, in case you feel the post is too long, skipping the the system components and connections.

Components that I have :

Sony Player
Pioneer EQ
8 Inch LCD Display
Two Pair of speaker Rear n Front
One pair of Tweeters
One Sub Woofer
Five Amplifiers including a baby amp (Of which one was spare, but now that one amp got burned I have to use the spare so it’s Four Amps)
Wires n cables.
Some basic Damping

My player is a Sony MEX R5 DVD. It has three pre outs. Front, Rear n a Mono out for Sub

The Front out put of the Sony Player is connected to a Sony Amp which is connected to a pair of Pioneer Components.

I have connected the Rear Out of Sony Player through Pioneer 6500 EQ whose rear out is connected to a Sony Amp which is connected to a pair of Pioneer Ovals speakers.

The front out put of Pioneer 6500 EQ is connected to a Pioneer Baby Amp which is connected to a pair of BOSS Tweeters.

Now here comes the problem, the Sub out of the player is Mono out; I have a two RCA to One Converter jack which I used to connect from the player to Blaupunkt Amp which is connected to a single Pioneer Sub Woofer. Some day’s back the amp got burned was it because of the wrong connection or it was a coincidence I don’t know, but before using another amp I thought of taking some suggestions from the gurus here.

Now the question is what are the possible ways in which I can connect the Players Mono Sub Out to a normal 2 or 4 channel Amp. Can I continue to use the 2 to 1 RCA converter? I know one easy solution is to go for a Mono Block Amp, but I still have another Pioneer amp (two channel one) that I want to use to connect to the Mono Sub Out of the player.

Please do suggest some thing over this matter.

Eagerly waiting for a reply,

Jai.
Old 30th July 2007, 10:00   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

hello JJ,

Did you know that my favourite movie star in the whole world is JJ? She is ot and my all time favourite.

I'm not sure what a baby amplifier is, but 5?? How would you connect 5 amplifiers?

Assuming one amplifier pair pair of speakers, that is 2. I'm not so sure about those tweeters.
And is this "baby" amplifier bridgeable? Any make or model number?

And to answer your question specifically, yes you can use a Y cable, with 2 RCAs on one end and one RCA at the other.
Old 30th July 2007, 10:56   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_j View Post
Components that I have :
Pioneer EQ
8 Inch LCD Display
One pair of Tweeters
One Sub Woofer
Five Amplifiers including a baby amp (Of which one was spare, but now that one amp got burned I have to use the spare so it’s Four Amps)
Wires n cables.
Some basic Damping
My player is a Sony MEX R5 DVD. It has three pre outs.
The Front out put of the Sony Player is connected to a Sony Amp which is connected to a pair of Pioneer Components.
I have connected the Rear Out of Sony Player through Pioneer 6500 EQ whose rear out is connected to a Sony Amp which is connected to a pair of Pioneer Ovals speakers.
The front out put of Pioneer 6500 EQ is connected to a Pioneer Baby Amp which is connected to a pair of BOSS Tweeters.

Now here comes the problem, the Sub out of the player is Mono out; I have a two RCA to One Converter jack which I used to connect from the player to Blaupunkt Amp which is connected to a single Pioneer Sub Woofer. Some day’s back the amp got burned was it because of the wrong connection or it was a coincidence I don’t know, but before using another amp I thought of taking some suggestions from the gurus here.

Now the question is what are the possible ways in which I can connect the Players Mono Sub Out to a normal 2 or 4 channel Amp..
Can teh 2-4ch amp be bridged. Is the Subwoofer SVC or DVC? What is the amp (model/ specs) that you are using to drive the sub?

BTW I think that EQ, baby amp and boss tweeters might be making things worse rather than better.
Old 30th July 2007, 13:11   #4
j_j

Thanks for the quick reply Sam and Navin.

Sam, I tried Google, but who is JJ the movie star, just curious to know. N Sam I missed the show in which you were there, is there an online link available for the show from which I can download it?

Baby amp is a small GM62 Pioneer amp.

I am using 4 amps n not 5, the 5th one was a spare. To make things simple I have put my stereo setup circuit diagram here.

I guess I made a simple question very complicated, really sorry about that . The direct question is can I use a 1 RCA to 2 RCA (Y) connector from the Mono sub out to the Amp In. Hope this wont short anything in the Amp (coz its in Input) or in the Stereo (coz its in Out put).

Sam you did answer my qus but can you be specific if its possible from Sub out of the Stereo to the Input of Amp

Navin, all the amps are normal 2 channel ones. The sub is SVC.

Navin, I know that, but I like to tune the Vocals, so I am using the EQ, n since the tweeters are connected through the EQ which also has a Fader control, I have faded it to rear the most with very little sound out to the tweeter, so the tweeter does not shrill n gives a mild high frequency out put.
Old 30th July 2007, 13:59   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Components that I have :

Sony Player
Pioneer EQ
8 Inch LCD Display
One pair of Tweeters
One Sub Woofer
Wires n cables.
Some basic Damping

My player is a Sony MEX R5 DVD. It has three pre outs. Front, Rear n a Mono out for Sub

Pioneer site says 6500 EQ has RCA Outputs (x3 Pair) (Front/Rear + Subwoofer). Can't you connect it to the EQ and make things simpler?

Pio going into the rear of Sony, Sony going into the rear of Pio, front of Sony going into Sony, I don't know where this whole post is going, jeez! Is your setup messed up or what?

Also, I don't understand how the front output is connected to the components and the rear output to the Boss tweeters!

Last edited by rocksterraghu : 30th July 2007 at 14:18.
Old 30th July 2007, 14:41   #6
j_j

rocksterraghu,

Quote:
Pioneer site says 6500 EQ has RCA Outputs (x3 Pair) (Front/Rear + Subwoofer). Can't you connect it to the EQ and make things simpler?
True but I need the Sub from my Stereo for better effect.

Quote:
Pio going into the rear of Sony, Sony going into the rear of Pio, front of Sony going into Sony, I don't know where this whole post is going, jeez! Is your setup messed up or what?
Please take one more look at the stereo setup circuit diagram, its not that messed up.

Quote:
Also, I don't understand how the front output is connected to the components and the rear output to the Boss tweeters!
The Rear is connected to Pioneer 6500 EQ, the EQ Rear is connected to Rear Speaker and the EQ front is Connected to Tweeters.
Old 30th July 2007, 16:26   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
[b]

I guess I made a simple question very complicated, really sorry about that . The direct question is can I use a 1 RCA to 2 RCA (Y) connector from the Mono sub out to the Amp In. Hope this wont short anything in the Amp (coz its in Input) or in the Stereo (coz its in Out put). ..Navin, all the amps are normal 2 channel ones. The sub is SVC..
ths is exactly as I envisioned it (from your earlier post).

can the amp be bridged? in that case you can just bridge teh amp and use 1 wire.

if you use a Y connector and connect the same signal to both channels of the amp you in effect get dual mono bass. now to drive the sub with both channels you need to bridge the amp anyway so why do you need the Y connnector anyway.
Old 30th July 2007, 16:56   #8
BHPian

egjactly. if it is a 2ch amp the you dont need the y connector. you have sub out in the HU, the HU give a 2ch sub out and the amp takes in 2chs so why the panga?

if its a 4ch then you will have to use a y connector but for what? you have an svc woofer. so you dot need a Y connector.

and if your HU has a single ch sub out(i havent seen such a HU) then you will need the y connector.

cheers
clip

Last edited by clipto333 : 30th July 2007 at 16:58.
Old 30th July 2007, 17:34   #9
BHPian

OT:
But I'm curious. So, Hey JJ, how come this configuration? How come you ended up with this? Was it plonk in whatever is lying around or you installer suggested this rare cocktail?
Old 30th July 2007, 17:39   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply Sam and Navin.

Sam, I tried Google, but who is JJ the movie star, just curious to know. N Sam I missed the show in which you were there, is there an online link available for the show from which I can download it?
Here, wiki will tell you who JJ is

And Team-BHP will show you the show you missed. Feel free to post about the show there. Here.
Old 30th July 2007, 18:03   #11
j_j

Navin,

Quote:
can the amp be bridged? in that case you can just bridge teh amp and use 1 wire
Yes, but my problem is in the input of the amp not the output.

Quote:
if you use a Y connector and connect the same signal to both channels of the amp you in effect get dual mono bass. now to drive the sub with both channels you need to bridge the amp anyway so why do you need the Y connnector anyway
Navin from this i understand that i give the mono sub out of the HU to one channel of the amp and connect the sub to the same channel, is that Right? Thanks, i was always thinking of some thing more complex n dint look into such a simple method. Will the sound be good, n this wont harm the system right?

I will try it out and let you guys know. But now my car in which this set up exists is in workshop for a service, will be getting it by end of this week.

But let me know team Gurus if any other idea strikes

clipto333,
Quote:
and if your HU has a single ch sub out(i havent seen such a HU) then you will need the y connector
yes my HU has a single Mono Out for Sub.

ScarySkulls,
Quote:
Was it plonk in whatever is lying around or you installer suggested this rare cocktail?
This is my 6th set up. I got kind of bored with the regular setup, So i wanted it to be a little diffrent and confusing... Is it that bad? Sounds ok.

Sam, Jenna Jameson yes now i know. I will chk out the video there.

Thank you all of for you quick and cool reply.

Please let me know if there is any new idea regarding this setup.

Last edited by j_j : 30th July 2007 at 18:22.
Old 30th July 2007, 19:06   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
rocksterraghu,

(1) True but I need the Sub from my Stereo for better effect.

(2) Please take one more look at the stereo setup circuit diagram, its not that messed up.

The Rear is connected to Pioneer 6500 EQ, the EQ Rear is connected to Rear Speaker and the EQ front is Connected to Tweeters.
@(1) I thought you were using your Pioneer EQ for better performance. What happened? By the way, have you tried it? What is the difference in the effect that you mentioned?

@(2) I got your setup with your post well before you posted the diagram.

The point is,

You say you have a DVD player and an 8" screen. Now, when you play a DVD on it, does it mean that the front channels of the DVD are heard through the components through your Sony amp and the rear channels are heard through both 6X9's AND Boss tweeters? Isn't that messed up? Oh, I forgot, you have a fader on your EQ! But it is still messed up according to me.

I don't see too many ways of splitting the mono RCA out to 2 RCA without a Y connector.

Just noticed your post:
Quote:
This is my 6th set up. I got kind of bored with the regular setup, So i wanted it to be a little diffrent and confusing... Is it that bad? Sounds ok.
Different is fine and no setup is bad as long as the owner is happy with it. But confusing????

Last edited by rocksterraghu : 30th July 2007 at 19:12.
Old 30th July 2007, 19:10   #13
BHPian

hi,

what HU are you using? im surprised it has a single ch sub out(maybe others have seen such a HU but i have no. sorry)

now if there is a sigle ch sub out the you will have to connect a y cable. single female and 2 male jacks. you have to connect the sub out from the HU to the female(single jack) and connect the 2 male jack to the amplifier. connect the sub on the 2 channels bridged(make sure its a bridgeable amp) some amps have the connection diagram on the speaker output terminals otherwise check online/download the manual if dont have it with you.

BTW what amp are you using for the sub? maybe i can find out something. and yes, there is no problem using a y cable.

cheers
clip
Old 30th July 2007, 19:38   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipto333 View Post
hi,

what HU are you using? im surprised it has a single ch sub out(maybe others have seen such a HU but i have no. sorry)
Sony : MEX-R5 (MEXR5) : Technical Specifications : United Kingdom

The mono sub out was generally the standard format in their so-called 3000W, 4000W dabbas for home audio. I don't know what they were thinking here.
Old 30th July 2007, 19:54   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, it's just bad design. In any case, all you need to do is use a Y connector. It will not affect the sound. Use a good quality Y connector though.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks