Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2007, 10:46   #1

Suggestions

Hi guys,

I think we should have single sticky posts for the following info -
- City wise information of dealers and installers. Not all the ones, of course, but the recommended ones.
- Recommended units
- Prices
- the fantastic glossary thread, albeit amended

A few ppl can take up responsibility to keep editing the post to keep it up to date.

Of course, the best thing would be a wiki... the amount of info in just the "Ask the Gurus" section is staggering... forum interaction is fun and all, but ppl wouldn't like to repeat advice that has already been provided. Agreed that the search feature should be used, but since there are so many posts, search becomes pretty meaningless.

WDYAT?
Old 6th August 2007, 14:30   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by doniv View Post
- City wise information of dealers and installers. Not all the ones, of course, but the recommended ones.
- Recommended units
- Prices
- the fantastic glossary thread, albeit amended

WDYAT?
nice idea and we have been deliberating ont his fora while. After all it ouwld make the job of the gurus a lot easier.

1. city wise information on dealers - Mumbai alone has a few hundred. Many do a good job many do a bad job most however can do a good job if that is whst is demanded from them. Most Dealers/Installers being human will use a short cut if they feel that the customer wont object.

2. recomended units. these would need regular updating. every year we see new units. to track even the 6 major HU brands in India (Pio, Sony, Alpine, Bla, kenwod and JVC) would be cumbersome.

3. prices - with greay market ruling the roost how do we accurately track these

4. Lastly SMS is not allowed on TBHP.

Last edited by navin : 6th August 2007 at 14:31.
Old 6th August 2007, 15:49   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
nice idea and we have been deliberating ont his fora while. After all it ouwld make the job of the gurus a lot easier.
Yea, I thought this would have been thought about before.

Quote:
1. city wise information on dealers - Mumbai alone has a few hundred. Many do a good job many do a bad job most however can do a good job if that is whst is demanded from them. Most Dealers/Installers being human will use a short cut if they feel that the customer wont object.
I'm not talking about "any" list. I'm talking about "the" list - the one that all the dealers would be striving to be on. I wouldn't underestimate the influential power a forum like this would have on potential buyers.

Quote:
2. recomended units. these would need regular updating. every year we see new units. to track even the 6 major HU brands in India (Pio, Sony, Alpine, Bla, kenwod and JVC) would be cumbersome.
Again, I'm not talking about all the models. There are guys here who deal with such models day in and day out. I figure the whole point of a forum like this is consumer education. Which also ultimately results in better products from manufacturers, if they realize that they are losing customers due to better awareness.

Quote:
3. prices - with greay market ruling the roost how do we accurately track these
Best effort basis. No one would expect accurate prices, since this is not a paid service. Guys who buy new gear can put in the prices they ended up paying on a voluntary basis.

Quote:
4. Lastly SMS is not allowed on TBHP.
Then I guess the forum rules need to be modified to include internet lingo. "WDYAT" is as SMS as "LOL" is ;-)
Old 6th August 2007, 17:59   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Then I guess the forum rules need to be modified to include internet lingo. "WDYAT" is as SMS as "LOL" is ;-)
*vinod, quite a lot of us have not modified our language even though we are HEAVY "Internet" users (longer than most have known "computers").

Unless the objective is alienating those who do not speak that language, such acronyms would defeat the very purpose of getting everyone to understand your viewpoint and ideas, right? There are enough technical jargon that one may not know the front from the back of, so complicating the language with incomprehensible expressions is just the opposite of its intent: understandable communications.

"SMS language" is just one obvious way of expressing "initialism" and incomprehensible abbreviations and alpha-numeric representation of common phrases.
Old 7th August 2007, 10:26   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I'm sorry. I did not know WDYAT is not SMS. What does it mean anyway?
Old 7th August 2007, 11:04   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I'm sorry. I did not know WDYAT is not SMS. What does it mean anyway?
I had never heard this either (but i knew it wasnt SMS )

While starting to look it up i realised it probably means What Do You All Think ?

cya
R
Old 7th August 2007, 11:19   #7
BANNED

Nice Suggestions there!

But I think it is not all that practical as it may sound.
There is prime issue of updating and brand images. If somebody lists a few of his favorite brands/models it may not be favoured by many and it may create a war of words unnecessarily.

The sticky NavinJi has put up is doing a good job. It caters to almost every aspect a newbie needs when going for his first ICEing!

For the rest, keep on watching CNBC Aawaaz!
Old 7th August 2007, 11:28   #8
Senior - BHPian

even I havent heard WDYAT.... this is NOT an SMS lingo!
Old 7th August 2007, 15:57   #9

Oh Lord! Apologies for the confusion and the geek lingo. It's actually pretty commonplace to see this term during email/forum discussions for inviting others' opinions.

I hate SMS lingo too, and appreciate the reasoning behind banning it on the forum.

Coming back to the point, the reason why I made the above suggestions is because I've been spending literally hours poring through the various ICE related posts and I *know* that I've not even scratched the surface. I'm too scared to even enter any of the other subforums :-)

Granted that such changes are difficult to do and quite un-fun... I guess it's more of an informed decision that needs to be taken for/against changes.
Old 7th August 2007, 18:13   #10
Senior - BHPian

My humble suggestion: Ipb Wiki:Integration Of Invision Power Board with MediaWiki - IpbWiki

Allows the collation of the best threads, so that the regulation info can be codified. And pretty VFM too, for its price.

The current crop of articles is good, and ideal for a wiki.
Old 7th August 2007, 18:50   #11
Senior - BHPian

BTW, can u please care to explain WDYAT?
Old 7th August 2007, 21:12   #12

As Rehaan said, What Do You All Think?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed