Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2024, 22:50   #16
BHPian

Re: Identifying a Fake Android Head-Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by staraphd View Post
Fake Chinese Android Head Units are nothing new and the way to verify their genuineness with apps like CPU-Z is also nothing new. So I asked question on the product page if anyone can post the genuineness of the advertised specifications using an app. Some buyer replied that he had confirmed with CPU-Z that it is indeed 4GB/32GB. Then some genuine looking reviews also mentioned people checking the specifications with CPU-Z. It was hard to believe the deal. So I took the risk and ordered it as it did not have a return policy. [/b]
Excellent and very informative thread. Maybe you should update this info (if not done already) on Amazon too. Might save some poor chap(s) from getting scammed.
Zippy_wheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2024, 15:36   #17

Dear @staraphd
I can't express how much I shall thank you for your timely post. I recently upgraded my BMWX3 head unit. Vendor installed the head unit I took the tedious option of creating hotspot from my iphone and installed the app from playstore. Upon checking the FAKE DEVICE TEST report, I was in complete disbelief. Vendor claimed it as 4GB+64GB; actual spec was 2GB+24GB.
Identifying a Fake Android Head-Unit-img20240209150838.jpg

Identifying a Fake Android Head-Unit-img20240209150917.jpg
I quietly took the pictures of the test report and shared the same with their owner. He apologized and replaced it with a new one after a couple of days. The vendor is a reputed dealer for multi-brand car accessories. Since he replaced the unit as promised, I don't want to spoil his reputation.
[ATTACH=IMG_4506.HEIC]IMG_4508.HEIC[/ATTACH]
Attached Files
File Type: heic IMG_4506.HEIC (1.16 MB, 25 views)
facelyft is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2024, 11:35   #18

There are a few apps left that check the wrong RAM storage and speeds. Cheap Chinese manufacturers are finding new ways to hide and limit the actual data from these apps.
I believe reputed brands of android hu like blaupunkt provide actual ram storage even if they run on low speeds. Looking to install blaupunkt 990 android HU soon.
Old 18th February 2024, 23:44   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by facelyft View Post
Dear @staraphd
I was in complete disbelief. Vendor claimed it as 4GB+64GB; actual spec was 2GB+24GB.

I quietly took the pictures of the test report and shared the same with their owner. He apologized and replaced it with a new one after a couple of days. The vendor is a reputed dealer for multi-brand car accessories. Since he replaced the unit as promised, I don't want to spoil his reputation.
The ROM is actually 32GB (it always shows less than multiples of 16 or 32), and the RAM as you mentioned is 2GB.
And, the Android version matters too. You don't want an Android HU with an ancient Android to start with. This is because you will never receive an Android update in future in these Chinese Head Units. Did the vendor promise Android 9?
I am curious, what player did the vendor replace with? If its of the same brand and model, it is bound to be fake too. All the units of the same make and model are identical. They are not manufactured or flashed randomly. You will have to get it replaced with a different brand and or model.

BTW, can you at least reveal the brand and model of the fake HU? It will help people to stay out of it without the need to test it.
And also reveal the brand and model of the replacement, if that turned out to be genuine as reported by Fake Device Test.

Last edited by staraphd : 19th February 2024 at 00:00.
staraphd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2024, 12:44   #20

Quote:
The ROM is actually 32GB (it always shows less Did the vendor promise Android 9?
Nah. Vendor promised seamless integration with no cutting or crimping wires. He also a promised 1 year warranty on the device.

Quote:
I am curious, what player did the vendor replace with? If its of the same brand and model, it is bound to be fake too.
Yeah. Different model. I think these are from EVO retrofits. There are no labels or manufacture information on the box. Perfect Chinese one.

Quote:
BTW, can you at least reveal the brand and model of the fake HU?
No information available on either of the two packages. Since the unit is covered under a 1 year warranty, I am not worried any further. So far so good, the unit is working alright. In fact, I was pleasantly surprised by the convenience of wireless apple carplay / android auto.

Posting some snaps of the leaflet and FDT reports. Please let me know if you can sniff anything fishy.

Identifying a Fake Android Head-Unit-img_4508.jpg

Identifying a Fake Android Head-Unit-img_4506.jpg

Identifying a Fake Android Head-Unit-img_4505.jpg

Identifying a Fake Android Head-Unit-img_4504.jpg

Last edited by KarthikK : 20th February 2024 at 12:47. Reason: Fixed the broken quote tags.
Old 25th February 2024, 20:46   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
Also I was wondering what about units from kmown manufacturers like Sony, JBL/Harman, Pioneer. I have kept Blaupunkt out of the list despite its history since it has become more of a branding enterprise in electronics.
The companies you've mentioned, except Blaupunkt, are audio companies, catering to audio enthusiasts, they don't come near Android players with a 100 feet pole.

Android players are for simple audio and visual entertainment. The "visual entertainment" part is a subject of debate on safety aspects though.
Nonetheless, Android players provide good (not better, not best) of both worlds.
There are some established big Indian companies that have forayed into Android players like
  • myTVS (from TVS) [AP-92, AP-102]
  • Uno Minda [Wtunes]
  • MapmyIndia [Icenav, Gtropy]
  • Supreme India Audiotronics [Nakamichi, Drivn]
  • Pricol [Xenos]
  • (erstwhile) GoMechanic [Zeus, Olympus]
  • Nippon Audiotronix [Ndroid]
But again, all are Chinese imports and hence suffer from the same issues. Only advantage purchasing from them is pan India service centers.
Old 8th March 2024, 17:08   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismaya View Post
I am seeing a ton of good deals on JXL Headunits at Amazon. Mostly Android and heavily recommended everywhere. Even thought a ton of friends are using those, I have my own doubts. I will try using your app, OP and see if these can be trusted. Even though the usage is fully basic, it never hurts to know what you are paying for.
I would suggest to stay away from JXL. This is one of those copycat companies from Delhi and adjoining states who create a brand similar to an established and well-known brand to confuse gullible customers.
To give a few examples

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 243
Size:  135.0 KB
Old 26th March 2024, 19:51   #23
BHPian

Thanks for this informative thread. Was planning to upgrade the single din radio of our Hyundai Santro xing. The Android head units with their cheap price and supposed superior performance,had almost got me , when this thread came in the form of a life saver. Now my question is can anyone suggest a good non Android head unit ? I am looking for Sony Xplod ( specifically XAV-AX3200) series, but some of the reviews on Amazon says that the advertised Android Auto/ Apple Car Play doesn't work . So if fellow members can please guide me to a nice non Android head unit, it would be really helpful.
Thanks in advance.
Old 28th March 2024, 08:57   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitadru View Post
Thanks for this informative thread. Was planning to upgrade the single din radio of our Hyundai Santro xing. The Android head units with their cheap price and supposed superior performance,had almost got me , when this thread came in the form of a life saver. Now my question is can anyone suggest a good non Android head unit ?
Don't drop the idea of Android HUs just because they are full of fakes. You can get a genuine one. You just need to buy it offline and tell the shopkeeper upfront that you need a genuine and not "flashed" player. "Flashed" is the term used by shopkeepers for fake Android players.

Else if you are very particular about audio only then go for non Android players. Make a visit to any Maruti accessories dealer. You will get the addresses from here https://www.marutisuzuki.com/dealer-showrooms Select "Maruti Suzuki Genuine Parts" from the first drop down. Call them and check which one also sells accessories. They all have only non Android players in their testing unit. Try them out and test Android Auto/Apple Car Play yourself.
staraphd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2024, 14:15   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Make a visit to any Maruti accessories dealer. You will get the addresses from here https://www.marutisuzuki.com/dealer-showrooms Select "Maruti Suzuki Genuine Parts" from the first drop down. Call them and check which one also sells accessories. They all have only non Android players in their testing unit. Try them out and test Android Auto/Apple Car Play yourself.
Thanks for the reply. I just need a good audio system in the car. If android units can provide the same audio quality as a normal non android Sony head unit, I am fine with it. But my question is, since they run on android, won't they become slow few years down the line due to updates ? Also since my car is a Hyundai, will Maruti accessories dealer be able to help me on installing it in my car , since it will require a custom frame ?
Thanks in advance.
Mitadru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2024, 15:32   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitadru View Post
Thanks for the reply. I just need a good audio system in the car. If android units can provide the same audio quality as a normal non android Sony head unit, I am fine with it. But my question is, since they run on android, won't they become slow few years down the line due to updates ? Also since my car is a Hyundai, will Maruti accessories dealer be able to help me on installing it in my car , since it will require a custom frame ?
Thanks in advance.
The Android HUs will not get any OS update, almost for sure. They are not made by the likes of Samsung/Apple etc. The only updates you will get are for the various apps that you install from Play Store. You can disable app update too if you like. But yes with time it will get slow as is with any electronic devices of today whether it is because of software bloat or hardware degradation.

I mentioned Maruti, just to use it for testing to come to a decision. You are not obligated to purchase. Just like people go to offline stores to see & feel products in real and then go back and purchase it online because its cheaper online. And Maruti because that's the only one I know who has only non Android players in their demo rack. By "testing" I did not mean fix it in your car and test, if that's what you thought.
staraphd is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks