Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2007, 12:07   #1
BHPian

Very basic ICE setup suggestions

Hello all.. I'v been reading through these forums for some time but todays my first post

now for the question(s)..

We(me and dad) currently have a SONY XRS 1807({http://www.duttagroup.com/sony/caraudio.html} the second one there) in a Mahindra MM 540 Jeep thats about as old as me(17yrs)

well recently I introduced my dad to the Cd/Mp3 era and he really liked the idea of no mess mp3 players and the sound quality compared to cassettes. and so after a trip to Richie street, a Transcend 2Gb player and one of those cassette-3.5mm jack thingie's were acquired.

Well the reason for this and not a HU upgrade that he gave me was a)budget and b) since it's an old car(jeep rather) so he had to get a case specially fabricated to hold the old HU and cassettes, and so replacing the HU would be a pain.

So I thought I would try and do all the homework and present my case to him for budget approval.. hehe..

Now the the proper question..
1.How much will a BASIC(only with aux-in and Cd/mp3/FM) cost and what brand.
saw(online) the Blaupunkt San Diego MP27 and liked it
2.we currently run Sony 16Cm Speakers in the front and no name ones at the back. looking to replace the them with some good ones for more oomph :P

the current budget would be around 5-6K which is real low I know but it's an old vehicle so don't want to spend much.

Thanks
Ashwin
Old 10th September 2007, 14:51   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyking View Post
1.How much will a BASIC(only with aux-in and Cd/mp3/FM) cost and what brand.
2.we currently run Sony 16Cm Speakers in the front and no name ones at the back. looking to replace the them with some good ones for more oomph :P

the current budget would be around 5-6K which is real low
1. about 4.5K for the Pio 2950 or Blau Mumbai
2. look at JBL's CS series of Blau's GTO series for cheap replacement options. You should get a pair of 5" coax for about 2-2.5K/pair.

Last edited by navin : 11th September 2007 at 09:37.
Old 10th September 2007, 17:05   #3
Senior - BHPian

Pio 2950 retails for 4.5K or 3K?
Old 10th September 2007, 18:51   #4
BHPian

Thanks for the quick reply.
Shall look for the Blau Mumbai/pio 2950..
how much would the San Diego be?

I checked the vehicle again and found that the front has "Two way" speakers and the back is just a speaker in a box. and reading here If I understand correctly I'm looking for component speakers in the front and Co-axial speakers at the back?
Also. how dust sensitive are the speakers/Hu? cause it's an non-ac vehicle and we have to dogs so lot of dust/hair etc..

Thanks
Ashwin
Old 11th September 2007, 09:40   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If I understand correctly I'm looking for component speakers in the front and Co-axial speakers at the back?
Also. how dust sensitive are the speakers/Hu? cause it's an non-ac vehicle and we have to dogs so lot of dust/hair etc..
components start at 5k per pair.
As long as the speakers are well installed in the doors etc they should be ok. You might have to clean the lens of the HU once in a while though so invest in a good WET cleaner.
Old 11th September 2007, 23:35   #6
BHPian

thanks!

What dimensions of speakers should I be looking at? (oval/round 6X9.. I'm really confused :( )

thanks
Ashwin
Old 12th September 2007, 10:12   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What dimensions of speakers should I be looking at? (oval/round 6X9.. I'm really confused :( )
I have not seen the insides of a MM540 but I would guess that 6" coax should do.
Old 12th September 2007, 11:13   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
thanks!

thanks
Ashwin
A few pics of your current mounting would help visualize how your existing setup has been fabricated and mounted.

3-way 6x9 ovals (Blaupunkt, JBL, Pioneer ...) would add enough oomph, and at a pinch, be fitted in the existing locations without too much modification.

If you don't intend to sell the car, it will make a lot of sense to put components in the front (the 6x9s can go the rear boxes). Dust etc. can be minimized by covering with thin acoustically transparent fabric.
Old 12th September 2007, 14:22   #9
BHPian

There are a bit dusty.. but here goes..

This is the mounting used for the HU

The front Speaker.. mounted under the dash.

(ps i really do hope that just the box is "sterovisionblah" and not the speakers )

Back speakers mounted under rear seat

hope these give you some Idea.. and the vehicle's not been serviced in some time and just got back from a long trip..

thanks
Ashwin
Old 12th September 2007, 14:48   #10
Team-BHP Support

6" coax should fit with spacer rings.
Old 12th September 2007, 17:13   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There are a bit dusty.. but here goes..

This is the mounting used for the HU

The front Speaker.. mounted under the dash.

(ps i really do hope that just the box is "sterovisionblah" and not the speakers )

Back speakers mounted under rear seat

hope these give you some Idea.. and the vehicle's not been serviced in some time and just got back from a long trip..
Unfortunately, the speaker (and not the box) that seems to be "sterovisionblah". Has taken some battering - the grill deformation makes the cone look like it has taken many a bath (no, it is only an optical illusion). The HU mounting was really well made.

OK, that gives quite a good idea.

1. Front: Measure the diameter of the grill (the perforated part) of the "sterovisionblah" speaker - it should round down to approx 4" / 5.25" / 6.25" / 6.5" (100/130/165/172 mm) - which are the standard ICE speaker sizes. Replace this with a good coax of the same size (JBL or Blau). If they happen to be 4" or 5.25", it shouldn't be too difficult to put in a 6.25" or 6.5" speaker with a new MDF mount, as Navin has pointed out - better bass in front

2. Rear: This seems to be mounted over the wheel arch. Check if a 6x9 will go into the same box (maybe on a diagonal), else replace it with a new box (shouldn't cost more than a couple of 100). The 6x9 can be a JBL, Blau or Pio

3. The speakers come with their own grills. If the grills look too open to you, ask the installer to put in a layer of speaker mesh cloth on the inside of the grills, to minimize dust
Old 12th September 2007, 18:45   #12
BHPian

Thanks a Lot!!
Now I got to listen to the each speaker?(JBl/blau) and decide right? :P
I mean I'm looking at the JBL CS range and the blau GTx range...
Is there anything wrong against going with say the front-JBL and the back-Blau? or should I stick with the same brand..

Also.. about the HU.. how much would a Blua-San Diego be?
Thanks
Ashwin
Old 12th September 2007, 20:01   #13
BHPian

I measured the front.. they seem to be 5.25"
and the rear seem to be 6.25"(16cm.. looks like the rear are the sony ones)

So what speakers do you suggest(ie brand/model)

thanks
Ashwin
Old 12th September 2007, 22:21   #14
Senior - BHPian

Though mix-n-match is avoidable, in the jeep circumstances one wouldn't notice the difference so much. A better way to look at it would be what kind of a deal are you getting from the dealer - usually 2 pairs of the same brand may perhaps get you a better discount with b&w.

If the fronts are 5.25", get 6.25" - it will fit in the current location with an MDF spacer ring - more thump. Donate the rear Sony's to an auto driver - he will bless you for the kindness.

Of course. You MUST listen to the speakers before you buy. Brand should be your choice after listening.

No idea about the price of Blau San Diego, though it is likely to be more than 10K. Mumbai, London etc. are less than 10K.
Old 12th September 2007, 23:35   #15
BHPian

Thanks for all the help!!
Now to go get budget approval..

-Ashwin

Most Viewed