Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2007, 15:22   #1
Senior - BHPian

Help needed to setup and upgrad my ICE

please Help me gurus.
I have a sony explod HU[CDX series] in my indica, which is getting serviced for some display and reading error problem, will be getting it back soon from the service station. It was fitted at sony dealer near my place.The setup was not that good, as wires used for the speakers were regular electrical grade and there was no fuse used in the HU setup also.
I am using my old speakers from Blaupkant speakers behind which give out a metallic clicking sound when the speaker Vibrate ,not only when they are being used but also when the system is off .Should I get them changed or can I get them repaired , the sound quality form them is owsum, the metallic sound can be stopped by just tapping the speaker.I also have tweeter from pionier in front , both these are from my earlier setup.

Now I want to upgrade to component speakers in front, If the speakers my old rear speaker can not be repaired can I use component speaker behind also?[my cousin in the UK has this setup in his Mini].

I am planning to get an amp and sub in the near future so keeping that in mind want should I do. my budget is around 7 grand for the speakers at present.
Do I us any power regulator for the HU? also want wires do I use for rewiring the speakers.I will get the setup done personally this time around.

I usually listen to pop/rock/Hip hop, hindi and classical , depending on who's is in the car with me.
please help me .
Old 12th September 2007, 15:43   #2
Senior - BHPian

hi dinar, welcome to this part of TBHP.. is your budget strictly 7K or you can strech it a bit ;-) In case you can....

1. remove those pio tweeters from the front;

2. install JBL 607 front comps and go in for a decent 4 channel amp;

3. Get the coils cleaned/repaired for your rear speakers or get some nice coaxials for app 3K.

4. Your speakers would come with the compatible wiring, so relax!

5. You can use comps for the rear, but coax would do the job decently.

6. What is power regulator for HU?
Old 12th September 2007, 19:27   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinar View Post
...I am using my old speakers from Blaupkant speakers behind which give out a metallic clicking sound when the speaker Vibrate ,not only when they are being used but also when the system is off .Should I get them changed or can I get them repaired , the sound quality form them is owsum, the metallic sound can be stopped by just tapping the speaker.I also have tweeter from pionier in front , both these are from my earlier setup..
Most likely you have connection problem:
1. The connecting wire may not be connected properly at the speaker end (soldered or with crimped connector; just make sure it is not just twisted there)
2. The wire insulation has come off somewhere and is touching metal - but only intermittently (less likely, since this can blow the HU)
3. The tinsel lead (the thin braid that connects to the tweeters) is loose

Intermittent is the key - the click is coming whenever the connection is making and breaking and making contact again.

Since the speakers are Blaupunkt, you could perhaps go to a Blau authorized dealer and ask them to check - this is a small problem. Blau has good after-sales service.
Old 13th September 2007, 12:49   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinar View Post
Now I want to upgrade to component speakers in front, If the speakers my old rear speaker can not be repaired can I use component speaker behind also?[my cousin in the UK has this setup in his Mini].

I am planning to get an amp and sub in the near future so keeping that in mind want should I do. my budget is around 7 grand for the speakers at present.

I usually listen to pop/rock/Hip hop, hindi and classical , depending on who's is in the car with me.
you can use components in the rar as well. Good components start at about Rs. 5K per pair. a good 4ch amp will cost 7K and a good sub in a box about 7K with box.

You can get components up front, later add components (or coax if components are outside your budet) in the rear, an amp and then a sub (using the amp to drive the front speakers and the sub).
Old 13th September 2007, 14:38   #5
Senior - BHPian

The old Balu system was installed by an old client of my dad, but don't know where he is now as he's shifted. He had fixed a small regulator in the power connection to the HU [ thats what he said] and a fuse the old setup was professional as the system did not give me any problem and the wires used where completely different from what they are now [they where changed by the sony dealer when the new system was put in the car] , any way in electronic circuits we do fix a voltage/current regulators even if we are running the circuit on stable power source like battery. So I thought that may be something like this would be used in the setup.

As for the speakers in the rear, the sound is like something is lose in it.
I am thinking of removing the pios in front and get good components. I'll see if the rear speakers can be repaired.
budget at present is 7k, but not for long......thats why I want to know what to get so that the upgrades in future will be based on that and can do it in stages.
Is there any good brand of wires for the speakers [again keeping in mind that I will get amp soon], and what will be the cost all the places I have been have same type of wires and when asked they say this does not make any difference.

Front components is fixed as for now, JBL or any other? and if rear can not be repaired than I will have to buy new also which brand coax or component......than budget will increase...he he .again keeping in mind amp in future.
I have CDX F5550 sony, it has sub output so that amp can be installed directly.

Any thing else I have to see into???
Old 13th September 2007, 14:49   #6
Senior - BHPian

dinar, your HU regulator looks like a small capacitor with fuse protection to me. I remember I saw this online sometime back at crutchfield. It was basically for fixing the diming of the HU backlights when it played at loud volumes.

Wiring does make a lot of difference, beware of the guys who tell you that wiring do not make a difference.

As DerAlte suggested, check for loose connections first, if alls well go for changing coils for your Blau (tight budget) or switchover to coax.

JBL is a very good brand, go for it! I'm personally using JBL 607 (front comps) and am happy! Be sure that they would perform best when amplified though!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks