Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2007, 18:19   #1
BHPian

Subwoofer Enclosure - Readymade vs Custom

I am trying to compare ready-made vs custom enclosures for subwoofer.

(Mods I tried entering many permutations in search, but there isn't a direct thread for the above question. Please merge if you know the correct thread. Thanks).

This is an EXAMPLE only:

JBL Subwoofers. What are the pros and cons of going for an original JBL enclosure vs one the local shop will make?

JBL offers readymade high quality enclosures, what other brands do as well?

The reason why I ask, is that there are many excellent shops in Delhi, Bangalore, Mumbai that make great enclosures for you, but in small cities, the quality of craftsmanship often doesn't exist.
Old 24th September 2007, 18:27   #2
Senior - BHPian

wrong enclosure, either undersize or oversize would screw up your sound.

sealed are generally prefered as they are more open to accomodate errors. ported require special attentions though!
Old 24th September 2007, 18:28   #3
Senior - BHPian

The readymade are on the bit expensive side. But custom made will be abit cheap.
Old 24th September 2007, 18:33   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Not many brands offer a variety of enclosures. The reason for this is simple - it is far more expensive to make and ship an enclosure, than to import drivers and make enclosures for them.

Consider this -

1) You pay duty on the entire enclosure as Electronics. Not a different amount for the speaker and a different amount for the wood.

2) The weight increase is HUUUGE, especially for a box that is made well. This increases the shipping costs massively.

3) The volume is Huuuge, filling up containers faster and with fewer products.

However, India has poor installation as it's signature. Given that situation, JBL has chosen to continue importing enclosed subwoofers - offering every possible sonic choice (Sealed, Bandpass, Bass reflex)

There are a few brands offering enclosed subwoofers (with limited choices). Brands like Lanzar, MTX, Blaupunkt, Polk. However for the above mentioned reasons, most companies prefer only to import the drivers.

Between the two, the pre-enclosed subwoofer is a safer bet (and the fit and finish looks a million times better).

However should you have an installer and woodworker you can trust to make an enclosure according to the specs of the woofer and according to your taste in music and your car - nothing like it.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 24th September 2007 at 18:34.
Old 25th September 2007, 10:28   #5
Team-BHP Support

One advantage to making your won box is that you an build the box to your own needs, tastes and use materials other than wood.
Old 25th September 2007, 10:32   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
One advantage to making your won box is that you an build the box to your own needs, tastes and use materials other than wood.

Exactly Look at this thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...woofers-2.html
Old 28th September 2007, 15:57   #7
BHPian

I am looking at two different types of ported enclosures these days though there may be many other types also

1. a box with a round shaped vent
2. a box with a straight lined vent

Please suggest which kind of enclosure is the best for a quality output....
Old 28th September 2007, 16:43   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krato View Post
I am looking at two different types of ported enclosures these days though there may be many other types also

1. a box with a round shaped vent
2. a box with a straight lined vent

Please suggest which kind of enclosure is the best for a quality output....
vent area is determined by
a) will it fit in the box?
b) will there be any air noise (huffing and chuffing)?
c) box tuning

the shape of the vent (if all of the above are taken care of) does not make any difference.
Old 30th November 2010, 18:58   #9

Enclosure for Kicker 12" SoloBaric

Hello Bhpians,

I need your help in getting a good subwoofer enclosure in Mumbai for my new upgrade below.

I'm getting a Kicker Solobaric L5 12" [600rms @ 2 ohms] for my Verna CRDISX 2009 model.

I plan to power it with Pioneer GM-8500 monoblock, class D amp [1200w@1ohms, 600rms@2ohms, 300@4ohms]. I plan to connect it using Boss Audio KIT-2 Complete 8 Gauge Amplifier Installation Kit [all purchased from USA]

Wanted help in getting a proper enclosure (closed) which would give me a deep bass w/o taking much space in car's trunk. Any idea about good custom maker in Mumbai or advice regarding a factory made enclosure for the above kicker witll be great.

I plan to get it installed by Pankaj Bhai of FM Drive and had contacted him before making the above purchase online. While he advised for the 4 ohm solobaric i went for the 2ohm considering the research I''ve done on the amps (any comments?)

Thanks a lot in advance.

Existing ICE
HU - Pioneer 3250BT with 3 RCA preouts
Front 6.5" RF Punch 1652 comps [60rmsx2]
Rear 6"x9" RF Punch 1692 2 way coaxials [75 rmsx2]
the current setup is powered by JBL GT5-644 4 channel amp[65rmsx4 @4ohms, 100rms@2ohms]

While the current setup gives very clear sound it lacked the bass. Also I'll need to check if the current power is supplied at 2 or 4 ohms.

Request your advice on the above setup configuration.
Old 30th November 2010, 19:27   #10
BHPian

mshekhar, are you getting the kicker sub from the US or sourcing it locally? If you are getting it from Mumbai, could you let me know how much it's costing here?
Old 30th November 2010, 20:35   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astleviz View Post
mshekhar, are you getting the kicker sub from the US or sourcing it locally? If you are getting it from Mumbai, could you let me know how much it's costing here?
As far as chennai is concerned ,Kicker is very much available but will be bit expensive.
Old 30th November 2010, 21:15   #12
BHPian

Any idea about the cost? On ebay global it's approx 13,000 bucks for the 12" sub.
Also how does this sub compare to a type R sub (swr-1243d) as far as SQ is concerned?
Old 3rd December 2010, 19:19   #13
BHPian

I need an sealed enclosure for a couple of subs. I was hoping to do this as a DIY project because I want to try out a couple of different enclosure sizes - the recommended sealed box size in the manual is almost 40% bigger than what winisd suggests.

I need to buy material and was wondering if MDF is the best option? The box is going to be for a couple of heavy subs (Eclipse SW8010) that tip the scales at 15kg each. Should I use MDF or HDF ?
Old 4th December 2010, 11:35   #14
Senior - BHPian

@mshekhar :

If you could give the sub spec like Fs, Qts, Vas can give the enclosure size that is required. The one place I know that could do a good job provided you give him the enclosure dimension is Singh's Corner at Irla Lane. I have suggested this place to few here, though little expensive but the construction on the enclosure is good.

Crackhead@ I wouldn't go by the WinISD. Sealed Enclosure depends on what kinda bass line you looking at. Low and smoother bass line will require a larger box but going larger than required will end up in sloppy bass, for tight and punchy bass requires smaller enclosure than the normal recommended. MDF should fine as material with .75" thickness. Again let me know the above T/s parameters and could give you dimension that you need. What car are looking to install these ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks