Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2007, 07:24   #1
BHPian

Amplifiers which don't require seperate power cables

I was just going through Blaupunkt's website, and the new THA series doesn't require seperate power supply from the battery

Has anyone tried these amplifiers ? Are they good ?
The 2 x55 amp is only 159 x 41 x 170 mm

If these amps are even half decent, then I think these are very well suited for stealthy installs
Old 10th October 2007, 08:12   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akg7091 View Post
I was just going through Blaupunkt's website, and the new THA series doesn't require seperate power supply from the battery

Has anyone tried these amplifiers ? Are they good ?
The 2 x55 amp is only 159 x 41 x 170 mm

If these amps are even half decent, then I think these are very well suited for stealthy installs
What it means it that you can use the existing wiring harness(same used to plug in stereo).
this way you don't need separate cabling.
Old 10th October 2007, 08:17   #3
Senior - BHPian

That would be real convenient specially at that size. Maybe it can be installed in the dash itself ??
Old 10th October 2007, 08:55   #4
BHPian

Finally found out more about the amp. It is in their press section
Blaupunkt - Press - Current Press Releases

This amp is really small guys. Perfect for hiding behind the dash. Nice work by blau

One question though. The amps are class D. Does it mean some sacrifice in SQ ?

Any idea about availability and pricing ? These are just so small I can install ( hide ) one in my dad's car w/o him even knowing.
Old 10th October 2007, 09:01   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, any amplifier that did not need much current would not need a special power wire.
I think the key lies in the power consumption.

While Class D extremely efficient - Class AB still needs that good old battery juice to deliver. There are many that would prefer not to use a class D amplifier to drive their speakers.
Old 10th October 2007, 09:22   #6
BHPian

So what you are saying Sam sir is that if the goal is just to increase the max volume of the system and not SQ then this amp is going to be fine ?
Old 10th October 2007, 10:28   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
While Class D extremely efficient - Class AB still needs that good old battery juice to deliver. There are many that would prefer not to use a class D amplifier to drive their speakers.
Class D amps are getting better. I think that they are good for bass duty but am not sure if they are good enough for using above 100Hz. Still givne that bass needs so much energy a Class D sub amp will still reduce the space needed for the amps in your car.
Old 10th October 2007, 10:41   #8
BHPian

This has been on the Blaupunkt website for quite sometime, but does anyone have information on the cost involved, and where to get it with B/W in Mumbai? Please post on this thread.

I'm looking for an amp that can feed a subwoofer from the sub-woofer pre-out of the Alpine 9835. Not looking for hosting a party outside the car.

I think these amps will be just enough if one needs to fill up the 10Hz to 200 Hz area while the other spkrs and compos are driven directly off the HU.

Am I right in thinking so? Could someone guide me with reference to these new Blaupunkt amps please?
Old 10th October 2007, 11:58   #9
BHPian

^ forget this series. Blaupunkt Delhi did not even know that they had the GTA480 and 280 amps! I had to tell them that it was very much there on their website. They then had to make some calls, and then let me know that they could get it on special request, but I would have to give them an advance / full payment. So I really doubt they have got THA series amps.

But you can get approximate prices at Crutchfield - just add a couple of thousand rupees more.
Old 10th October 2007, 12:03   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vebmetal View Post
^ forget this series. Blaupunkt Delhi did not even know that they had the GTA480 and 280 amps! I had to tell them that it was very much there on their website. They then had to make some calls, and then let me know that they could get it on special request, but I would have to give them an advance / full payment. So I really doubt they have got THA series amps.

But you can get approximate prices at Crutchfield - just add a couple of thousand rupees more.

I had similar issues while hunting for this a few days back. Here at Mumbai, out of the few places that I had enquired, only Chandrika electronics in Dadar W knew about them and could atleast tell me that they are not easily available yet.

If anyone knows better points of availability, please let us know. Could prove to be useful for many more.
Old 17th October 2007, 00:47   #11
Senior - BHPian

When I asked here in Bangalore,initially it seemed like these models are not available but when I said 475 instead of 480(say GTA 475 not GTA 480) then they seem to get what it is.Probably the naming is different over here in India then other places.
BTW, GTA 475 is around 10k and THA 475 is 14.5k, that's what the qoute I got. but the question is, is THA series worth 5k extra then the GTA just for the small size?
Old 17th October 2007, 02:52   #12
BHPian

Interestingly, the only difference I could find apart from the looks was in the inputs & outputs:

GTA 475:
Inputs 2x Cinch / RCA gold plated, HighLevel Input, Direct Aux Input
Outputs 2x loud speakers, gold plated

GTA 480:
Inputs 4 x Cinch/RCA gold plated, 4 x HighLevel, 2 x Direct Aux Input via 3.5 mm phone jack
Outputs 4 x loud speaker

The THA 475 might be worth the extra 4.5K since anyway as the thread suggests it seems that you don't need amp cabling which is anyway a straight saving of say Rs. 2,500. So paying 2K more for compactness is not so absurd. (Am I getting this right?)
Old 30th October 2007, 12:33   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vebmetal View Post
Interestingly, the only difference I could find apart from the looks was in the inputs & outputs:

GTA 475:
Inputs 2x Cinch / RCA gold plated, HighLevel Input, Direct Aux Input
Outputs 2x loud speakers, gold plated

GTA 480:
Inputs 4 x Cinch/RCA gold plated, 4 x HighLevel, 2 x Direct Aux Input via 3.5 mm phone jack
Outputs 4 x loud speaker

The THA 475 might be worth the extra 4.5K since anyway as the thread suggests it seems that you don't need amp cabling which is anyway a straight saving of say Rs. 2,500. So paying 2K more for compactness is not so absurd. (Am I getting this right?)
Hey Folks,

Since its a subject of getting the right picture from Blau sources, i have come across Auto Sonics in Bandra ( S.V Road ).

These guys are auth. dealers for LLumar films & Blau systems.

Having spent some time with them, i got the impression their sound engg was clear about the product and its comparisons as well.

Maybe you guyz should check them out, if required.

Cheers
Old 30th October 2007, 16:15   #14
BHPian

Have ypu heard of this site

I used some these amp in my home system. planning same thing for SX4 Amp.
Sound quality is excellent. But DIY

41Hz audio amp kits. Sounds good to me! Tripath based amplifiers for DIY:ers.
Old 31st October 2007, 10:22   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by omishra View Post
I used some these amp in my home system. planning same thing for SX4 Amp.[/url]
what about the power supply.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks