Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2007, 12:20   #1
BHPian

Music system for my open Jeep?????

Hi guys... I need your help!!

Am planning to set up a good music system for my Open jeep!! Well i wudnt mind extending my budget normally for good quality music system (not looking the hi-fi ones but a descent music player will do)!!

But since a lot of risks are involved in setting a music system in an open jeep, i would like to know if i can get some good quality but little less costy equipments!! (even 2nd hand ones will do)!! CHEAP & BEST!!

There is one more confusion in this!! is it advisable to go for 2nd hand systems???

By the way, lots of local dealers here in mangalore, have told me tat, since its an open jeep, the music quality wont be good!! is it true?? i have also been told by the local dealers tat the only option i have, is to go for powerful systems!! but then the problem of keeping it safe without loosing it also makes me scared to go for such costly ones!!

I presently have a pioneer cassette player with me (KEN P4025) which is in good condition!! I was told tat mp3-cd players wont give optimum performance since the ride on my jeep is very bumpy!!

Pls suggest me some good speakers for the rear, woofers(if available), amp, and the minimum budget required for this installation!!

Looking forward to your co-operation!!!
Old 10th October 2007, 13:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

You may find some good information in this thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...-top-jeep.html

And yes, the quality of sound would not be great since it is open top.
Old 10th October 2007, 14:51   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdn317 View Post
Hi guys... I need your help!!

By the way, lots of local dealers here in mangalore, have told me tat, since its an open jeep, the music quality wont be good!! is it true?? i have also been told by the local dealers tat the only option i have, is to go for powerful systems!! but then the problem of keeping it safe without loosing it also makes me scared to go for such costly ones!!

Looking forward to your co-operation!!!
The music quality wont be good as its an open jeep and the music being played will be pressed by the noise from the traffic. so if you are installing a simple system say Headunit and a pair of speakers, you may hardly hear the music...
Old 10th October 2007, 16:29   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krato View Post
The music quality wont be good as its an open jeep and the music being played will be pressed by the noise from the traffic. so if you are installing a simple system say Headunit and a pair of speakers, you may hardly hear the music...
true the music will be drowned in traffic noise but you can still hear it, it just wont be Hi-Fi.
Old 10th October 2007, 16:35   #5
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest the use of marine type speakers.
Old 10th October 2007, 18:28   #6
BHPian

hi... thanks for ur replies friends!! Please do tell me more about it as it will help me a lot!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
I would suggest the use of marine type speakers.
Wat are "marine type" speakers?? never heard about them!! Can u please tel me about it in detail??
Old 10th October 2007, 23:33   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wat are "marine type" speakers?? never heard about them!! Can u please tel me about it in detail??
Marine type speakers are made with materials which can stand up to the punishing environment (salt water exposure, open environment etc.) of boats etc. The enhanced robustness is suitable for your kind of application (incl. the salt water part - perhaps you may be inspired to take the jeep for a spin on the beach somewhere )

Checkout the JBL marine range JBL Car & Marine Audio. Perhaps Sam can advise on the availability.

Other speaker manufacturers also have marine speakers in their range. @B&T bhai, any that you are familiar with?
Old 11th October 2007, 00:10   #8
Senior - BHPian

One Bhpian has put an amp, woofer, speakers and a pioneer Hu in his gypsy.The entire system is second-hand. Cost him some 7000 for all.It Sounds good also. Only now the HU got stolen so hes got a buy another one. So get ready for those rude shocks.
Old 11th October 2007, 00:20   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlalan View Post
One Bhpian has put an amp, woofer, speakers and a pioneer Hu in his gypsy.The entire system is second-hand. Cost him some 7000 for all.It Sounds good also. Only now the HU got stolen so hes got a buy another one. So get ready for those rude shocks.
ya... am prepared for something like that!! thats the reason why, am not planning to put any hi-fi systems!! else dads gonna get really really very angry!! he doesnt like the idea of setting up the music system in the 1st place!! but somehow managed to convince him for the time being!! pls let me know if any such above mentioned 2nd hand systems are available!!
Old 11th October 2007, 11:06   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Other speaker manufacturers also have marine speakers in their range. @B&T bhai, any that you are familiar with?
A lot of manufacturers make marine speakers and also subs (pro audio type specs), amps and even head units. Its just a matter of whether they are represented by the distributors for India considering the vast populace in India that owns boats.
Old 11th October 2007, 11:35   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
considering the vast populace in India that owns boats.
One would think that that vast populace makes their music without any electronics! Oooo maaaaajheeeeee raaaayyyyyyyyy ... (with a haunting flute and taonn-taonn oomph-oomph accompaniment; alas, English is rather anaemic in its ability to transliterate sounds)!
Old 11th October 2007, 12:04   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
ya... am prepared for something like that!! thats the reason why, am not planning to put any hi-fi systems!! else dads gonna get really really very angry!! he doesnt like the idea of setting up the music system in the 1st place!! but somehow managed to convince him for the time being!! pls let me know if any such above mentioned 2nd hand systems are available!!
one option is to visit a vew installers and ask if they can help with their discards.

for example if you can get a simple OEM HU and 4 OEN speakers you might come away with a system under 7K or even 6K. Just dont expect it to be Hi-Fi.
Old 11th October 2007, 12:33   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I have a sound system in my Jeep. Here are some tips:

1. Key is to keep everything concealed. When my Jeep is parked, you cant tell that it has a stereo. The HU is tucked away in the glovebox, amp is behind the dashboard and all wires are neatly hidden away from view. Even the radio antennae is neatly hidden on the top of the windscreen (behind the sun visor).

2. Best place to mount the rear speakers would be under the rear seat. Get a custom boom box made (carpenter required) and paint it a dull black to match your flooring. Restrict to two speakers as you will be hard-pressed to find a hidden spot for the front speakers.

3. Remember to switch the stereo off before you get to the parking spot. For instance, I switch the sound off before I enter my lane so that no one is the wiser.

Of course, the risk is still high but you can do whatever possible to minimise the chances. Dont blow too much of money on the ICE. Keep it cheap so even if a theft does take place, it doesnt end in a heartache.
Old 11th October 2007, 12:35   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Of course, the risk is still high but you can do whatever possible to minimise the chances. Dont blow too much of money on the ICE. Keep it cheap so even if a theft does take place, it doesnt end in a heartache.
this is why i was recomending a system that is not too expensive. with all that traffic noise there is no need for much more.
Old 11th October 2007, 13:58   #15
BHPian

thank You Friends!!

Thank You friends!! your advice, has given me almost a clear picture of wat should be my next step! thanks a lot for all your co-operation!!!

I will go ahead with the installation!! but in case you come across any 2nd hand equipment, please do let me know about it!! I already have a HU, looking for amp and speakers!! if i get them here itself, i will make sure, to inform the moderators about it!! Untill then,I Will need all your help and support!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks