Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2007, 18:37   #1
BHPian

Sound Enhancement - Please advice

Hi,

I've installed Pioneer headset 2950, a pair of oval speakers (Pioneer) at the rear with padding, and a pair of round speakers at the frost (door insets). Though the audio quality is good, I feel like most of the sound is from the rear ones (though the front ones are working 100% and output low freq tones). Should I install tweeters in the front to overcome this issue? Pls advice. I've found those tweeters in most of my friends' cars, and in my opinion they look kind of weird perched on either side of the dashboard. Is there any work around for this?

I've another problem with the rear-left oval speaker. Sometimes, the volume goes really low and I could hear noise from it. This problem is hard to diagnose as this happens only occasionally-and when this happens tis highly irritating. I checked the wires and they are well connected. What would be the problem?

Thanks in advance!

Giga
Old 11th October 2007, 00:06   #2
Senior - BHPian

Pound for pound, ovals do sound 'louder' than the circular ones (they manage to push more air).

What is the model of speakers that you have mounted in the front? A Pio would not be *that* bad that you would want to add a tweeter.

One way to get a temporary correction would be to set the Fader to F2 or F3 - that would make the front slightly louder.

Real good sound can come in the front only if you change the front circular (most likely coaxials) to COMPONENT speakers, such as from JBL, Infinity, Blaupunkt, Illusion, Hertz etc. Components are most commonly a mid-bass speaker and a tweeter. The sound that you would hear from components - even the economical variety from JBL or Blaupunkt - would be definitely better than from the current Pio coaxes.

No, tweeters don't look that odd if they are discretely mounted, for example on the door itself. If on the A pillar, you can always (well, almost) have the tweeter housing painted to match the A pillar plastic. If you have electrical ORVMs, the logical place is inside of the mirror mount.

Most likely the connection to the rear left oval is loose at the HU end - difficult to check unless you take the HU out.
Old 11th October 2007, 17:51   #3
BHPian

Me too was facing this problem of volume going low from front left and sometimes both the front speakers. Got the entire speaker wiring re-done with better quality cables in place of the old stock ones. Now it's working perfectly OK.
And I too was thinking of adding tweeters (Sony GT-560 with JBL CS-2104 and GTO-937).
What say? Will it enhance the soundstage?
Old 11th October 2007, 19:57   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuragn View Post
And I too was thinking of adding tweeters (Sony GT-560 with JBL CS-2104 and GTO-937).
What say? Will it enhance the soundstage?
Well... yes and no! It depends on what you have currently.

If you already have a coax in front, adding tweeters may cause chaos and/or harshness (depending on which tweeters you add).

It is always recommended that one replaces front coax with components - midbass + tweeters - so that imaging appears uniformly. Components are not always a costly proposition - the improvement over coax (or coax + tweeter) is significant.
Old 12th October 2007, 10:31   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
there is no need to. why do you feel the need for tweeters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigatech2006 View Post
I feel like most of the sound is from the rear ones
I've another problem with the rear-left oval speaker. Sometimes, the volume goes really low and I could hear noise from it.
you can fade to the front. addind tweeters is not usually a nice solution.

if you have checked all the wires (the best way is to run a sperate wire and see if the problem goes away) then get teh HU checked. maybe the chip-amp in the HU is having a problem.
Old 12th October 2007, 12:40   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
there is no need to. why do you feel the need for tweeters?
Thanks Navinji. I have 4" coax's in the front, mounted in the dashboard facing upwards (stock location in Wagon-R). And the sound comes after reflecting from the windscreen. Hence, I thought tweeters facing directly towards the passengers might help a bit.
By the way, how much would 4" JBL components cost?
Old 12th October 2007, 12:54   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
By the way, how much would 4" JBL components cost?
You don't get JBL 4" components. In that category the options are Kicker and Illusion.
The Illusion are superior by far.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks