Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2007, 20:07   #1
BHPian

ICE / Gizmos for car from KL, Malaysia

Hello Everybody

I am travelling to KL, Malaysia on office work next month. Should be around for 2 weeks or so. Can someone please suggest me what kind of ICE equipment and / or gizmos can I pick up from Malaysia and where??
Thanks
Satish
Old 26th October 2007, 20:43   #2
Senior - BHPian

This is Steeroid's post which i had saved in my laptop for my Sepang trip.
Quote:
What to shop for in Malaysia:

1. DVDs DVDs DVDs. You get these for cheap at the Night Markets (Pasar Malam) tell them to check the night markets at Bangsar (Sundays, if I'm not mistaken) and Brickfields (THursdays?) DVDs typically cost 10 RM (8 or 9 if you bargain and pick up a lot of them) which is about Rs. 120. Most other things are available at bargin prices at the night markets, from clothes to watches to other stuff. Plus you can get yourself a "Rolex" or a "TAG Haeur" for RM 25 and show off!

2. Clothes - well you get cheaper and better stuff in India but you get 'genuine' fakes all over the place.

3. Computer Accessories & Software - Sungei Wong Plaza and Imbi Plaza (both next to each other) are the places to go to. Sungei Wong plaza is down the road from Star Hill and Lot 10, Imbi Plaza is next to it. Dont bother going anywhere else.

4. Racquets - if you're into racquet sports then KL is the best place to pick up good brands for less.

5. Car Accessories - lots of things to buy if you're into the glitzy stuff. Also some very practical stuff thats difficult to get hold of in India, or expensive. Pick up a Kercher compressor unit for your car wash - worth it.

6. Furniture - Chinese furniture is extremely good and extremely cheap too. You wont find classy wood furniture cheaper anywhere else in the world. If you're the IKEA variety then "1, Utama" (its a mall) is the place to go to in Damansara Utama, very close to TTDI.

What else? Plenty of stuff, actually. The places to avoid are KLCC Suria and MegaMall since they are both tourist traps. Prices are higher there except the Carrefour at MegaMall of course.

Check out Carrefour - they have some terrific offers from time to time.
Old 27th October 2007, 10:26   #3
Senior - BHPian

There is an road in Pudu area which is full of accessory shops - I was there a week back. Ask any taxi driver - they will know. There were some more on the road to Mid Valley Mega Mall, where all the car showrooms are there.

I didn't find the prices attractive enough to pick up ICE stuff. Maybe locals can drive harder bargains to get good prices.

KLCC Suriya and Mega Mall aren't that bad - I found some stuff cheaper there. But then, one has to search patiently and smell out Sales and bargains. I picked up a Nikon D40 at KLCC Suriya at a price less than at Low Yat.

Last edited by DerAlte : 27th October 2007 at 10:34.
Old 2nd November 2007, 00:30   #4
BHPian

Thanks Kpzen and DerAlte for the info. I do have some local contacts who can speak Malay and drive a bargain, so am gonna try that. How bout Carrefour? I heard they have tons of car stuff!! any idea?
Old 2nd November 2007, 08:11   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Both N_C and I were unimpressed by the quality of shopping and prices at Kuala Lumpur.
Since I had recently visited neighbouring Thailand, I found KL relatively poor in respects of shopping for gadgets/gizmos/clothes/shoes etc.
Old 2nd November 2007, 13:35   #6
BHPian

Thanks Sam sir, I have done some shopping in the past in Bangkok but yet to shop in KL. I did find BKK rates very, very interesting (pls. read- cheap), but I'd be able to make any comparisions only after checking out KL..
BTW: I am particularly looking for ICE equipment, Car Gizmos and maybe a home theater..
Old 2nd November 2007, 17:08   #7
Senior - BHPian

In the east I find HongKong to be the cheapest for things like Cameras/LCD TV's and other electronics Bangkok is good for cheap sasta clothing and knick knacks.

Car accessories to be had in Malay are not as cheap as other places but then there quality stuff to be had. For example crystal LED Swift HL/TL etc.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks