Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2004, 12:14   #1
BHPian

Altec Lansing 5.1 in My Santro Car... !

If that sound's kind of stupid, please bear with me. I got a new [first] car recently. I dont know about the car audio. [However, I'm a multimedia designer who does sound editing a bit. so know little basics about sound]

Now I'm just thinking about fitting a surrond sound system in my car. [Inspired by the BOSE car audio set up. They have put speakers even in the head rest of the seats. Check it out. its awesome. Look for surround sound link]

My basic idea is to put a surround sound system in my car from Pioneer 5650. THe altec lansing has a dolby output with 5.1 channels, which would give me real good surround effect. It takes any stereo sound and splits into surrond sound. Plus, tweeters in front seat headrests could be bridged from fronts of pioneer. The sub of altec is also good enough for my requirement. [I dont want to shake the neighbourhood. Just a clean sound at moderate levels and little high in highways just for the kick of it] Since Altec has sheilded magnets, they wont interfere with my cell phone. [i presume. I dont know about car speakers.]

What you guys think about this. Let me know. Give me your ideas or tell me its plain out stupid. Feel free. Thanks to all.

PS: BTW, I'm a bargain hunter usually on low budgets.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Logic takes you from A to B.
Imagination takes you everywhere.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Old 24th December 2004, 12:49   #2
BHPian

BTW, are there really any differences between a home theater speakers, comp speakers and car speakers. [I searched on google, no one has any answer ;(] Difference i mean not in quality or construction of enclosures, but technically. Given a tech spec of equal ratings, will there be any difference in them. [Am i clear in that question???]

[I know bose always has a better sound partly because of the way their boxes are made.]
Old 24th December 2004, 12:50   #3
Team-BHP Support

hi web junk, idea seems good on paper, but the dynamics go haywire inside a car especially when it starts moving, i dont have much idea but i guess some reserach its doable.
one thing i learned quality is directly proportional to money spend, so unsure about bargain funda

cheers
Jaggu
Old 24th December 2004, 12:54   #4
Team-BHP Support

and yes there is a difference in construction of car speakers in the sense, they are more resistant to taking physical abuse including climatic changes (chances of coils popping off are lesser). But regular speakers work fine also. Another area assuming ur talking about reg home "alt-lzig" will be getting a decent power supply from reg 12 volts the cars use and alos filtering the electrical noise that crops up.
Old 24th December 2004, 16:58   #5
Senior - BHPian

from wht i understand, u want to put tweeters in the front headrests. Won't this look ugly with the wires sticking out??
Old 24th December 2004, 16:59   #6
Senior - BHPian

How many speakers will u have and where?
Old 24th December 2004, 19:16   #7
BHPian

Deeps, [& all others here] Please Check this out... You'll get an idea of what I'm talking about. Choose personal sound Tab section in flash movie.

http://www.bose.com/controller;jsess...cles/index.jsp

and this one. -
http://qualitysound.bose.com/pg/lear...o_surround.jsp

Last edited by webjunk : 24th December 2004 at 19:34.
Old 24th December 2004, 23:06   #8
Senior - BHPian

Sounds good on the website but don't know how it'll be in reality as i've never heard of such a concept. Anyways, good luck witth the mods.
Old 25th December 2004, 17:12   #9
Team-BHP Support

Hey Webjunk,

Actually i was planning to do the same thing once upon a time....! (becuase i didnt feel like spending 15k on a audio system in a car i dont use when i could get decent sound for 3k.

I was planning to use a creative 2.1 computer speaker system, with the 2 satellites on either side of the dash and the sub below a seat.
No need for a head unit even, just plug it straigh into a discan/ipod etc. and it runs on 12V DC.

Now, about your setup... im not sure which altec system you are using etc etc.....
Im guessing its an amplified 5.1 system, so then taking the output from your pioneer head unit may not be the greatest idea (since u wil be amplifying an amplified source).
Let me know in a little more detail how exactly you plan on wiring it.

And about "technical' aspects of car speaker systems.... well there are 2 things i can think of
1. Impedance - this is the resistance of speakers, you might wanna keep this in mind if you are using the head unit amp with other speakers
2. Voltage - car battery voltage is said to be 12volts DC, however in actuality it varies. When the car is off, the voltage can be as low as 10V and when the car is running the voltage is actually 13-14volts. However, i dont think this will affect an amp much...(but it might be better to double check)

cya
R
Old 27th December 2004, 10:02   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan
Hey Webjunk,

No need for a head unit even, just plug it straigh into a discan/ipod etc. and it runs on 12V DC.

---
Let me know in a little more detail how exactly you plan on wiring it.
My initial plan was to put an USB MP3/radio Player only. I can carry it around and load it anytime with any songs. This would be really an extendable model for me. No need to get stuck with any CDs or Casettes.

Sure. I'll let you all know how I would be doing about the wiring. [Right now I'm not sure.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan
1. Impedance - this is the resistance of speakers, you might wanna keep this in mind if you are using the head unit amp with other speakers
2. Voltage - car battery voltage is said to be 12volts DC, however in actuality it varies. When the car is off, the voltage can be as low as 10V and when the car is running the voltage is actually 13-14volts. However, i dont think this will affect an amp much...(but it might be better to double check)

cya
R
Yes, you're right. All the computer speakers are actually 4ohms. Same as car speaker ratings.
Vlotage... I dont know. You make me worry about it. I'll do some research on that anyways now.
Old 27th December 2004, 12:30   #11
Senior - BHPian

well guys the difference between "home speakers" adn car speakers is the difference in the ohmic impedance..it may sound like a very scientific term..but simply put the car head units we have do not match this impedance hence it will have a heavier load and sound may be affected....but if these things dont matter then go ahead and fit it...but yeah if u r using an ipod it should not make any difference since u are moving it from your room to car..but the acoustics might be affected as the car is much smaller compared to a room...also as rehaan said your power source is something to keep in mind

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks