Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2007, 12:47   #1
BHPian

where to install the sub?

Hi,

I am planning to install a JBL GT5-12 sub in my Honda City ZX. I don't want to install it in the boot within an enclosure as it will eat up the boot space. Is it advisible to install it in the rear parcel shelf? Would that compromise the bass effect? Or there is any other place to install the sub other than boot?

Please advise. Thanks in advance.
Old 10th December 2007, 13:05   #2
Senior - BHPian

search for IB install (infinite baffle)
Old 10th December 2007, 13:17   #3
Senior - BHPian

The GT5-12 is intended to be used in an enclosure (about 1 cu.ft). It is not a free-air sub, so installing it on the parcel shelf will not give good enough results. (This is just what I think, Sam will be able to confirm).

For an NHC, I can't think of any place other than the boot, for a sub install. Especially the GT-5 12. I don't think there is enough space under the seats for even a 10" sub.

If you have absolutely no option to but leave the boot free, you might have to consider a compact active sub that you may be able to install under the seat. Blaupunkt sells one such sub in India. There are other options available outside India.

You will be able to install the sub in a removable box. When you want boot-space, you'll just need to unplug the sub and take it out.

Edit: This will give you an idea about the powered subwoofers available. The Infinity Basslink II and the Kenwood KSC-SW1 are pretty good (but pricey) option. If you look around, you might just get an old Kenwood w00x which was like a standard in compact active subs.

This and this are Blaupunkt's options in India.

Last edited by hydrashok : 10th December 2007 at 13:24.
Old 10th December 2007, 15:24   #4
Senior - BHPian

Alternate 1: Perhaps a sealed box fabricated out of fiber-glass can be considered below the parcel shelf (spanning the whole width of the parcel shelf)? The sub, mounted on the parcel shelf, will be firing from a sealed box arrangement without compromising boot space.

Alternate 2: Depending on the profile on the side of the boots, one could do what Navin has done in his Octy or what Gunbir+JB had done in a CRV (?) install: make a fiber glass enclosure that uses the side area near the wheel well.

Alternate 3: Mount the sub on a 1" MDF plank behind the rear sets, and play the sub IB-mounted firing through the rear seat. Sub depth will intrude into the boot, though.
Old 10th December 2007, 18:04   #5
Team-BHP Support

how will a sub (speaker) mounted on the MDF tray of swift sound, is it really worth experimenting?
Old 11th December 2007, 09:45   #6
BHPian

Thanks @hydrashok and @DerAlte for the recommendations. I'll check all the options with the installer and will go for the best one without compromising the sound quality.

Also, one more clarification - whether the stock wiring in NHC is good enough or the wiring need to be changed for better acoustic handling? Any thoughts?
Old 11th December 2007, 16:20   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
how will a sub (speaker) mounted on the MDF tray of swift sound, is it really worth experimenting?
no. you've been 'gifted' with a hatch. use it to your advantage. there's nothing like a sub in a sealed box.
Old 12th December 2007, 00:14   #8
BHPian

Change the sub?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenbag63 View Post
I am planning to install a JBL GT5-12 sub in my Honda City ZX. I don't want to install it in the boot within an enclosure as it will eat up the boot space. Is it advisible to install it in the rear parcel shelf? Would that compromise the bass effect? Or there is any other place to install the sub other than boot?
If you havent finalized on the sub, why dont you try a Pioneer 306 or similar ones? They are pretty good for free air/ infinite baffle/ on backseat/ parcel tray installs (all are the same thing = no box). Suits your need perfectly.
Old 12th December 2007, 05:13   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyguru View Post
no. you've been 'gifted' with a hatch. use it to your advantage. there's nothing like a sub in a sealed box.
sorry, i realise this is for a city zx.
Old 12th December 2007, 08:30   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
This and this are Blaupunkt's options in India.
Hydra, do u know how much they cost in cochin? and how is their performance compared to normal subs? Planning to do something like this in my matiz, Dont think the normal box would fit in the boot. Also is there any way to stop the rear wiper from rattling??
P.S: Where can i find the kenwood KSC-SW1, and how is its performance?? And price?

Last edited by JayD : 12th December 2007 at 08:35.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks