Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2007, 18:07   #1
Senior - BHPian

Is this true ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuffDaddy_d
Too much emphasis is being placed on the subwoofer these days, so this thread is for all the people who think that the sonic characteristics between quality sub A vs quality sub B are actually important. It is also for those who say they want a sub that gets loud but still has good "SQ." Just do this simple test to see just how important (or unimportant) the subwoofer setup is in your over-all in-car music experience:

Find some way to mute your mids/highs and only allow your subs to play your favorite song. For some of you, you can mute the front speakers through your HU, while others may have to temporarily remove the RCA's from their mids/highs amplifier. For those of you who are using the HU to power your speakers, STOP IT!

After successfully removing the mids/highs from the listening environment, play your favorite song/cd and just listen to how your subwoofers sound. Ah yes, that driver you purchased for its SQ reputation sounds so very musical now, doesn't it?

This test should help you to realize just how unimportant the subwoofer choice (and subwoofer amp choice) is compared to the rest of the setup that actually plays the music! Try driving around only hearing "thud thud thud, rumble..." for a few minutes to see how much your appreciation for a proper front stage grows. What really matters with subwoofers is the installation and application of them. Obviously, if you design a box that will cause the sub to be just a one-note wonder, then it's not going to blend well with the rest of the system... no matter how good that one note sounds. |[

{Fact}
The average subwoofer setup only plays 0.3% of the entire sonic spectrum that humans can hear.

This has been a public service announcement, brought to you by the Keep CAF Beautiful Coalition.
I read it here...

CarAudioForum.com - Read this if you own a Subwoofer!

So guys what do you think on this.

Last edited by low_bass_makker : 14th December 2007 at 18:12.
Old 14th December 2007, 18:29   #2
Senior - BHPian

This is an interesting find. I am hooked to this thread now awaiting comments from Audiophiles

p.s. I hope it doesn't get too techie for my understanding
Old 14th December 2007, 18:36   #3
Senior - BHPian

Is it true?...................................... No.
Old 14th December 2007, 18:54   #4
BHPian

I'd suggest taking the same test with just the tweeters. . You wouldnt drive around even for minutes.

Its the cohesive whole of the entire range in the notes i.e. sub, mids and highs that makes music pleasant. Pumping up or damping either/both ends of the sonic spectrum reduces enjoyability. just my 2cents.
Old 14th December 2007, 18:56   #5
JPL
BHPian

I dont understand why should we argue on something like this

I cant imagine playing my Ice setup without the sub, without the sub my Ice is 100% crap and thats all I need to know.

As said again again, depends on personal taste and I dont care if I spend 18k only on sub and mono amp, they are stll the best part of the setup.

JPL
Old 14th December 2007, 19:10   #6
Senior - BHPian

Another way to test:

Don't mute anything. Leave everything as is. But replace your current sub with a Pio 306 (in a perfectly designed box) and play your favourite music (Ideally Jazz, with a lot of bass-guitar movements). In a few seconds, you'll be a believer in better subs

My 0.2 cents. Hearing is believing. And I'm a believer.

BTW, I performed this exact test with a sub quite a bit better than the Pio 306 -- I'm not saying which brand --and I knew every penny spent on my IDQ was worth it.
Old 14th December 2007, 19:17   #7
BHPian

I'm no audio guy, but it looks to me that LFE are like the salt we use everyday. Sure, NaCl's contribution [by weight] is usually a small percentage, but can you imagine food without it ? Sure, one can't just consume salt alone [Ughh !], but surely it's absence would be equally awful ?
Old 14th December 2007, 19:31   #8
Senior - BHPian

PuffDaddy being just a member on a forum much like ours, is merely expressing an opinion. Just the way any of us do.
What is more important is that if spending on an expensive sub has a feel-good factor that brings you joy, why then your money has been well spent already, damned be other's opinions or even 'scientific fact'!
Old 14th December 2007, 19:35   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

What crap ya, I don't agree with the poster.
Old 14th December 2007, 19:41   #10
Team-BHP Support

I say the left speaker is useless.
Remove everything except the left speaker. You will see that the music sounds so bad.
If you had not bought that left speaker, you would have saved money to buy better other speakers
Old 14th December 2007, 22:05   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I say the left speaker is useless.
Remove everything except the left speaker. You will see that the music sounds so bad.
If you had not bought that left speaker, you would have saved money to buy better other speakers
Great illustration Says it all.
Old 14th December 2007, 22:56   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
I'm no audio guy, but it looks to me that LFE are like the salt we use everyday. Sure, NaCl's contribution [by weight] is usually a small percentage, but can you imagine food without it ? Sure, one can't just consume salt alone [Ughh !], but surely it's absence would be equally awful ?
Perfect answer. Anyways I also don't agree to puff daddy. As sub plays a major role in the sound reproduction.
Old 14th December 2007, 23:14   #13
BHPian

I think the guy who posted that must be crack.Without a sub i cannot imagine.Whatever if it SPL or SQ sub plays a major role.
Old 14th December 2007, 23:21   #14
Senior - BHPian

Harmony is Music

It is like asking a musician why they write music for bass guitar, cello, tenor sax, baritone etc. when they can play all the music they want using violins, rhythm guitars, alto/soprano sax, trumpet etc. The bass instruments are secondary and supporting instruments. If you listen only to the bass instrument portion of a Mozart composition, will that sound any good? Music is the harmony of a whole spectrum of sounds. And no speaker can reproduce the entire sound spectrum in any musical piece and still do justice to each note and render it in its fullness. So it is common sense you need a combination of speakers. The subwoofer may only contribute 0.3% in a particular musical piece, but then, that is all what is expected of it.

Last edited by pjbiju : 14th December 2007 at 23:25.
Old 14th December 2007, 23:25   #15
Senior - BHPian

From what i've experienced, the importance of the sub changes with the genre of music you listen to.

While the sub is a must if you're into hiphop, r & b, techno and the lot, you maynot need it as much if you were to listen to hard rock, heavy metal, unplugged/acoustic etc.

So in what ever form it may exist, it does contribute to the overall sound of the music. Be it audible low frequency notes or sub sonic vibrations.

The same goes for the tweeters. If you cancel everything else, it sounds irritating and even painful. But when played together, it can create magic.

Shan2nu
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks