Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2007, 16:50   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte
I wouldn't be surprised if the installer had connected one voice coil of the sub each to the left and right rear channels of the 4-ch amp
@Der Alte: Is this a sin? I have seen 75.4 bridged to two channels and driving the two voice coils of a sub. The install was tuned/ passed by gurus. Hence the query. So if each coil offers 4 ohms and the sub is 400 rms, what is wrong with driving 200w into each of the coils using a 2 channel amp?
Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
one options is to use the 4 ch. amp for the sub and that is what I would do.
@Navin: Related question. When you say use the 4 channel to drive the sub, does that imply the above connection (separate to coils) or bridged to 1 channel and wire the coils to match the load?

Thanks in advance.
Old 27th December 2007, 18:48   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by determinus View Post
@Navin: Related question. When you say use the 4 channel to drive the sub, does that imply the above connection (separate to coils) or bridged to 1 channel and wire the coils to match the load?.
4 channels are bridged to 2 and then each bridged channel drives 1 4ohm coil. this way the amp is not taxed.
Old 27th December 2007, 20:04   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
4 channels are bridged to 2 and then each bridged channel drives 1 4ohm coil. this way the amp is not taxed.
So then why is it mentioned as not-a-nice-to-have situation by DerAlte? [confused]
Old 28th December 2007, 09:41   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by determinus View Post
@Der Alte: Is this a sin? I have seen 75.4 bridged to two channels and driving the two voice coils of a sub. The install was tuned/ passed by gurus. Hence the query. So if each coil offers 4 ohms and the sub is 400 rms, what is wrong with driving 200w into each of the coils using a 2 channel amp?

@Navin: Related question. When you say use the 4 channel to drive the sub, does that imply the above connection (separate to coils) or bridged to 1 channel and wire the coils to match the load?

Thanks in advance.
Sin??? NO, not at all - Navin has correctly described the desirable config - and YOU have seen it.

The 2 channel amp is 65W per channel, so it will drive only 130W combined into ONE coil (since the amp can't take 2 ohms load in the bridged mode). If one wants to drive 200w into each of the coils using a 2 channel amp, one will need a 200W-per-channel amp.

If you read carefully, I had joked about LEFT channel of the front or rear pair driving one coil of the sub and RIGHT channel driving the other - quite different from FRONT BRIDGED driving one and REAR BRIDGED driving the other. @rider60 has the Front components AND the sub on the 4-channel, which precludes using the 4 channels for the sub, unless he shifts the Front components to the 2-channel amp AND drives the Rear coaxes from the HU.

Last edited by DerAlte : 28th December 2007 at 09:44.
Old 28th December 2007, 14:21   #20
Senior - BHPian

okay here is what i am going to do,

i am either getting another 4-channel giving away my 2-channel, and power sub completely bridging the 4channels into two, and power each coil seperately, then use the other 4-channel for the front and the rear coaxials!
the other 4channel i intend to get is sony

Sony India : XM-ZR604 (XMZR604) : Details

its xm-zr604,instead of buying a mono for my sub, this will cost me another 1000 bucks extra thats all if i go in for a mono then its minimum 7000 bucks i need to spend so will doing make my ice setup better or should i wait and get the mono itself?
Old 30th December 2007, 02:24   #21
Senior - BHPian

these are the pics of my amps, now that i have posted the pics, and i have connected the sub to the 2 channel by bridging it and the speakers to the 500 watt 4-channel amp, i want to know what are the best amp and the equilizer settings to be made for the good music.

can you guys tell me the right voltages to be set and the hpf and lpf settings on the amps and equilizer setting on my 6850 pioneer HU.

this should do good for now, i guess , guys i am really looking forward to this please post asap for i am leaving for a long drive tomorrow and the settings will ensure i enjoy the best music! thanks guys in advance!
Old 30th December 2007, 15:42   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
i want to know what are the best amp and the equilizer settings to be made for the good music.

can you guys tell me the right voltages to be set and the hpf and lpf settings on the amps and equilizer setting on my 6850 pioneer HU.!
I usually set my EQ to flat. start from there.

to start set HPF 63Hz/12db and LPF at 80Hz/12db.
Old 30th December 2007, 18:05   #23
Senior - BHPian

okay i will set the amp to flat, and the following hpf and lpf in the HU, but what do i set the lpf on the 2channel do i turn the power protection on or off on the 2channel which is currently powering the sub woofer?
Old 30th December 2007, 22:12   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
do i turn the power protection on or off on the 2channel which is currently powering the sub woofer?
since the amp is driving a 4ohm load in bridged mode it does not hurt to keep the power protection on.
Old 30th December 2007, 23:45   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
what do i set the lpf on the 2channel do i turn the power protection on or off on the 2channel which is currently powering the sub woofer?
Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
since the amp is driving a 4ohm load in bridged mode it does not hurt to keep the power protection on.
What is 'power protection', and how does one turn it on?
Old 31st December 2007, 01:38   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post

look close on the amps they have the hpf and the lpf on off switches and the power protection lamps just beside the switches they are the ones we are talking about!
Old 31st December 2007, 09:43   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
currnet overload protection.
Old 31st December 2007, 10:39   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider
power protection lamps just beside the switches they are the ones we are talking about!
Dude, B&T asked where the switch for the power protection is, since U mentioned about switcing it on/off.
Old 31st December 2007, 11:13   #29
Senior - BHPian

I don't think Sony gives the option to the user of destroying the amp by switching off the o/l protection.

That must be the post-facto indication (LED) that current-overload is occurring / has occurred (either by playing too loud or by shorting).
Old 31st December 2007, 11:14   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Dude, B&T asked where the switch for the power protection is, since U mentioned about switcing it on/off.
that is true. i dont see any switch to turn pwer protections on or off. the LED just comes on when the amp has chosen to protect itself.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks