Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2008, 11:09   #1
BHPian

ICE upgrade help desparately needed !

hey gurus
delighted to finally be a part of team bhp. I have been in automotive nirvana since the last few weeks . And like every other newbie on this forum my concepts on ICE ( i never knew what it meant earlier ! ) have undergone a sea change. Till a couple of weeks ago i was pretty sure what i needed to get to improve the audio experience in my swift vxi. I then came across team bhp and lo and behold my concepts went for a mighty toss. I am now in a major dilema ( and thinking of taking up another job to pay for my extravagance... ) . Alright here goes :

my current setup :
HU : Sony .. very basic mp3 player probably not manufactured
anymore
Front and rear speakers : JBL Coaxials CS series fit in stock
locations.

i desparately need to upgrade my system . I listen to predominantly new age and world music , soft rock , occasional hip-hop and trance . I was looking for more bass to add. My budget is 10k-15k.

My options : Front Components ( pref . illusion 6.1 ) -6000/-
Rear ( stick with JBl co axials )
If possible a decent Sub ( 8/10/12 inches ) - 2500-4000/-
4ch amplifier 6000/-( anything cheaper ? )

My queries : *is it worthwhile sticking with the sony HU ? do i need to upgrade to a pioneer HU . If not i can save 6k-7k. That way i can afford an amplifier (4CH) .
*Will changing the HU to a 7950 pio significantly improve my audio experience ( in case i stick with the JBl coaxials ) .
*If i do get a pio HU is it advisable driving the compos off the HU. I can do away with the sub/amp for now then .
* How do the new pio HU ( 2008 ) fare compared with the 7950 .
*My last option is stick with the HU and JBL coaxials and add a SUb and amplifier. ( is it advisable ? )
*In Mumbai which installer is better BOOM or FM Drive ( prices and quality of work )
I know gurus i am one confused nut ! But i need your help. I am planning to drive to Tirupati this month and would love to have my system installed before the long drive.

Once again elated to be a part of team bhp and looking forward to more constructice contributions and participation. Happy new year to all team Bhp members !
Old 9th January 2008, 12:16   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandolf_thewise View Post
HU : Sony
Front and rear speakers : JBL Coaxials CS
My budget is 10k-15k.

My options : Front Components ( pref . illusion 6.1 ) -6000/-
If possible a decent Sub ( 8/10/12 inches ) - 2500-4000/-
4ch amplifier 6000/-( anything cheaper ? )
Without knowing which HU you got it is very hard to pass judgement on it. Some Sonys are decent, some are awful.

If you are happy with the HU for now, leave it. Given that your budget is limited (like most of us) the money will give you more bang if you get front components (6K), a 4 ch. amp (6K), and a sub (5K).
Old 9th January 2008, 12:29   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandolf_thewise
*is it worthwhile sticking with the sony HU ? do i need to upgrade to a pioneer HU . If not i can save 6k-7k. That way i can afford an amplifier (4CH) .
You could do that at a later stage, right now an amp would be better.

Quote:
*Will changing the HU to a 7950 pio significantly improve my audio experience ( in case i stick with the JBl coaxials ) .
Significant is subjective. Which Sony head unit is this? An amp would be better than changing to Pioneer.

Quote:
* How do the new pio HU ( 2008 ) fare compared with the 7950 .
They're just fine.

Quote:
*In Mumbai which installer is better BOOM or FM Drive ( prices and quality of work )
Both are good, charges are quite similar. There are many more good installers too. Which part of Mumbai?
Old 9th January 2008, 16:04   #4
BHPian

hey gurus
thanks a million for your prompt replies. i guess then i will agree to what u have said and will go for a 4ch amplifier + front compos + a sub. Can u suggest any other installer in mumbai ( western suburbs , bandra - andheri ) . Also any reliable dealer from whom i could buy my stuff at the best prices . I checked out a couple of stores at milan subway santacruz but wasnt really happy with the prices . (I havent seen many dealers stocking illusions other then pankaj bhai and zohir . )
Old 9th January 2008, 16:27   #5
BHPian

hey gurus ,
Thanks a million for your prompt replies. I will definitely take your advice and go for front compos/amp/sub. Phew ! That's the HU i have

Could u suggest any reliable dealer from whom i could purchase my stuff at the best prices . I havent come across many dealers who stock Illusions other then pankaj bhai and zohir . I went to a couple of dealers at milan subway but i felt i was getting a raw deal. Would u suggest any other installers in mumbai( bandra -andheri ) .
Old 9th January 2008, 19:31   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandolf_thewise View Post
I checked out a couple of stores at milan subway santacruz but wasnt really happy with the prices . (I havent seen many dealers stocking illusions other then pankaj bhai and zohir . )
Which stores at Milan? Try Shreyas Motors.
Old 12th March 2010, 21:15   #7
Senior - BHPian

hey guys, its been long since i wanted to upgrade my scorpio's ICE & finally the time has come. i dint want to open a new thread, hence posting in this old thread.

My scorpio currently has the following setup-
Vtrek compos
Sony co-axials (i know what you must be thinking! it was a mistake!)
Sony 4 ch amp (again!)
JBL basstube

Now, i have already purchased a JBL GT5-S644 4ch amp. also, i need to replace the basstube with something more powerful, preferably a GZ 12" sub, only one & not two subs please. i need a good bass but not window shattering types! also, i am keen to change the front compos, again to GZ.

Now, budget is around 15k (i am selling the current basstube, sony amp & Vtrek compos & that amount is not included in the budget) & if possible, i want to spend less as i need to get my window tints changed too!

i have the following queries-
1) which GZ sub? TW 12MK2 or TW 30T?
2) which compo? TC 16MK2 or TC 165T?
3) Most important. i am getting a custom enclosure for the sub. should i go for a sealed box or a ported one? i need a nice balance between audible bass & thump. i dont prefer too much of hard hitting thump.

also, as i said, i am dumping the sony 4ch amp & installing the new JBL 4ch amp, which i have already bought. now, after selling the sony amp, i can also buy a JBL 2ch amp & power the rear co-axials. is that recommended- 2 JBL amps? will this drain the battery? or would you recommend me to sell both the JBL as well as sony amp & buy a single but much better & more powerful amp?

any other suggestion in mind?
Old 13th March 2010, 09:10   #8
Senior - BHPian

Ground Zero subs are good, though I am not sure of the model number. Perhaps GZ owners on TBHP can throw some light.

The JBL 644 is not a very powerful amp, so it will be better that you get a separate amp for the sub, and put the rear coaxials on this amp. The difference between your old Sony amp and the JBL one is only the quality of sound, not power. For the sub, you could either buy a powerful 2-ch amp and bridge it, or get a mono.

The difference between 'thump' and 'hard-hitting thump' is only the sub volume - in 'hard-hitting thump' it is set unnaturally louder. The difference of ported is more about the slight (depends on sub and enclosure) boominess over sealed enclosures - 'boom' from sealed v/s 'boomm' from ported. Comparatively, most tubes go 'boommmmmm'! Of course, one has to remember that ported enclosures are usually louder than sealed (not that one cannot go loud with sealed).

Battery is drained when one plays loud with engine off - the energy has to come from somewhere, right? With engine on, if loud passages in music cause headlights to dim at night, then one has to think about changing the alternator. Till then you are safe.

Your budget may not be sufficient if you change everything together. Your list is as good as complete new ICE, ignoring the small cost of coaxials.
Old 13th March 2010, 09:41   #9
Senior - BHPian

@ Deralte: thanks for the help buddy.

yes, so i am thinking of connecting the JBL 644 amp to the front comps & rear co-axials. i will sell my current sony 4 ch amp & buy a better & more powerful 2 ch amp for the sub, whichever make it is. i dont want a mono amp as it is too costly.

yes, since i need a bit of loudness along with some thump, i was thinking of ported enclosure instead of sealed one.

regarding the budget, i was thinking it might turn out to be like this-
GZ compos: 7000/-
GZ sub: 6000/-
New 2ch amp for the sub: 4000/-

that adds to 17k. i am selling the Vtrek compos + JBL basstube + sony 4ch amp (1000+2500+2500), so i MAY get around 6000/- back. so expenditure goes to around 11k. i may add 2k for a wiring kit. so total 13k is fine for me.

am i miscalculating something?!! your opinion?
Old 13th March 2010, 11:29   #10
Senior - BHPian

@raj_5004, a 2-ch for 4K is unlikely to be more powerful than the A644. Check what is the cost of the JBL 300W mono, or any 2-ch amp rated ~100W RMS per channel.
Old 13th March 2010, 11:43   #11
Senior - BHPian

but the JBL mono amp costs around 8k which increases my budget to 17k. that hardly leaves me any money for window tints!!!

i agree that a mono amp will give me better output than a 2ch amp, but then its way too costly & infact even unnecessary for my usage. i listen to my music with a mild bass. thats is precisely the reason i am going for a 12" sub & not 15" sub.
Old 13th March 2010, 16:25   #12
Senior - BHPian

Then it is OK - your plan is good.
Old 13th March 2010, 17:11   #13
Senior - BHPian

ok, so can anyone recommend a good 2ch amp under 6k???

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks