Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2008, 11:38   #1
Senior - BHPian

Help for ICE in Getz

Hi Gurus,

I just bought a 2nd hand Hyundai Getz in which the previous owner has installed the following ICE:
1. HU: Blaupunkt Bahamas MP34
2. Rear speakers: Pioneer TSA-6980 6x9
3. Front speakers: Wasnt able to open the speaker enclosure but there are 2 speakers fitted in front as well.

Now the problem is that when I increase the volume, I hear a bad noise from both the rear as well as the front speakers (it is similar to when someone is clearing his throat - hope you got that!). This noise gets worse when I turn on the X-Bass feature of the HU.

Someone told me that this is the noise created by dust settled in on the speakers. (?)

Going by your advice on TBHP, I have finalized on the following config for the ICE:
1. HU: Pioneer 4900/6900UB
2. Rear speakers: JBL GTO 937
3. Front speakers: JBL GTO 507

What is your advice on this? I love music and listen to all genres. I love deep bass as well and want to connect my Ipod to my ICE through Griffin iTrip FM transmitter (already own that).

However, my budget is not more than 10-12K so I dont think I can afford amp/SW etc. (Or can I?)

What I want to know is the following:
1. What will be the total cost (including wiring, installation, MDF board etc) for my proposed ICE config?
2. Will I get anything money in returning my already installed ICE?
3. Can you suggest some places in Mumbai to get this done?
Old 16th January 2008, 11:55   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
I hear a bad noise from both the rear as well as the front speakers..This noise gets worse when I turn on the X-Bass feature of the HU.

Going by your advice on TBHP, I have finalized on the following config for the ICE:
1. HU: Pioneer 4900/6900UB
2. Rear speakers: JBL GTO 937
3. Front speakers: JBL GTO 507
What is your advice on this?

want to connect my Ipod to my ICE through Griffin iTrip FM transmitter

my budget is not more than 10-12K
the speakers might be damaged. in any case you are getting a new system.

the system you have speced will cost more than 12K. On your budget you can go for a cheaper Pio HU (39xx) and JBL's GT5 series of speakers instead.

The sound quality via the FM transmittter is severly compromised. I would suggest you use an ipod cable. Many current HUs are ipod compatible and can even control the ipod. You'd have to check if the 39xx or 49xx are.
Old 16th January 2008, 14:28   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
the speakers might be damaged. in any case you are getting a new system.
Thanks Navin. But I MIGHT go for a new system if and only if the speakers are damaged. Is there any way to check whether they are damaged or is this just a build up of dust?

If I exclude the HU (assuming Blau Bahamas fits my taste already), can you tell me the price for my specified set of speakers?
Old 16th January 2008, 16:35   #4
Senior - BHPian

Navin-ji, I have a feeling Gandhiji is severely dissatisfied with the apparent loudness and bhass-response of the existing system. Perhaps there is nothing wrong or dusty with his existing HU or speakers. In his quest for dumdaar awaaz he might have taken the HU well into the clipping region! This is evident as he mentions
* All 4 speakers are clearing their throats simultaneously and collectively (OUCH)
* "This noise gets worse when I turn on the X-Bass feature of the HU"
* He has not mentioned at what Volume setting his system starts clearing its throat

Perhaps he should put in an amp (tuned well) to see if THAT gives him his SPL fix. If it does, he still gets to keep his cake and eat it too. Throw in a sub, and maybe he will be doing garba around the car with his loved one! Heeng lage na fitkari... the Pio 6x9 will anyway work decently on the HU, so a 4-channel amp and a sub tube will do in his budget. Ab bolo, kaun sa lagana hai?

If the speakers ARE bad (all of them? too much of a coincidence) even on the amp, it will be easy for him to replace the speakers later, without guilt or penury.

Last edited by DerAlte : 16th January 2008 at 16:38.
Old 16th January 2008, 23:03   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Navin-ji, I have a feeling Gandhiji is severely dissatisfied with the apparent loudness and bhass-response of the existing system. .
You are right I did not notice that he said all 4 speakers were "complaining".
Old 17th January 2008, 00:30   #6
Senior - BHPian

Ya like Deralte said please tell that the speaker clear there throat at low volumes also as the HU internal amps have got no juice to drive speakers. If you like high volume get a amp and keep all the existing stuff you might get some good result on the present setup also.
Old 17th January 2008, 09:19   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
* All 4 speakers are clearing their throats simultaneously and collectively (OUCH)
Update: I checked last night. All four speakers dont make noise collectively. The front ones go bad earlier than the rear ones.

Quote:
* He has not mentioned at what Volume setting his system starts clearing its throat
My system has really no output at lower volumes (upto 18-20 volume, I can hardly hear anything!). The music becomes audible only after 20.

Are there some connections which are weak? Or wiring gone bad?
Old 17th January 2008, 12:00   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Update: I checked last night. All four speakers dont make noise collectively. The front ones go bad earlier than the rear ones.
Minor difference, they all go bad after a certain point.

Another question: does this happen no matter which source you use? FM, AM, CD? Could you please check again?

Quote:
My system has really no output at lower volumes (upto 18-20 volume, I can hardly hear anything!). The music becomes audible only after 20.
Are there some connections which are weak? Or wiring gone bad?
I use the same HU and it is unbearably loud both for FM and CD at volume 20. Please don't be offended by my question, but is MUTE on by any chance?

If you consider that the problem is with ALL 4 speakers, the possibility of wiring fault is also unlikely. The likely possibility is that the connection for the Power or Ground connection is not proper, which can be checked by the service guys.

Go to a Blau dealer - they will oblige without any fuss normally - and ask them to check the HU connections for loose contact etc. They will also be able to demo the Blau amp (for example GTA4 Spl. MK II, 4channel, around 6K) and sub-woofer tube (for example GTt 300 HP, less than 5K) for you in the car. Take a decision to buy only after they check and tell you what is wrong. Just ignore statements like "purana ho gaya hai, isi liye dum nahin hai" (electronics is not like humans) and "the original speakers are anyway not powerful" (even fakes will play loud, albeit not good quality sound)
Old 17th January 2008, 12:01   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
that is becuase they cant handle as much bass. i'd tell you experiment using bass blockers etc.. but I think you might as well get new speakers.
Old 17th January 2008, 12:12   #10
Senior - BHPian

I think you are expecting to much for the HU amp. Try reducing the low freq, bass boost if any for the HU. And check out the result.
Old 17th January 2008, 12:40   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Another question: does this happen no matter which source you use? FM, AM, CD? Could you please check again?
Yes, the problem is with both sources, FM and CD. However will check and revert on this.

Quote:
I use the same HU and it is unbearably loud both for FM and CD at volume 20. Please don't be offended by my question, but is MUTE on by any chance?
No, the Mute button is not on! However, I couldn't locate the ATT button or its settings (the one that suppresses the sound for sometime during a phone call). I suspect it might be the culprit.

Even I was surprised by this behavior of the HU. I had Pioneer DEH-7850MP on my Indica, and it gave out amazing sound at volume 9-10 also! I couldn't go beyond 17-18 in normal drives because sound was already loud enough - even though the max vol setting was 40 on that HU. And I didn't have any SW or Amp on my car. Just 2 rear and 2 front speakers!

Thanks for your advice. Will fish out Blau service center details.
Old 17th January 2008, 12:48   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
I think you are expecting to much for the HU amp. Try reducing the low freq, bass boost if any for the HU. And check out the result.
Hi LBM,

Actually, my previous ICE setup on Indica was as follows:
- HU: Pioneer DEH-7850MP
- Rear: Pioneer TSA 6981 6x9 oval speakers
- Front: Kenwood (Dont remember the model no.) fitted in the dashboard.
- No amplifier or subwoofer.

With this setup, I could get amazing bass and sound, even at 9-10 volume level of the HU. Infact, I could not go beyond vol 17-18 in normal driving, even though the max rated vol of the HU was 40! And all tones, sound etc was crystal clear even at lowest vol levels.

Hence, it was but natural for me to expect similar output from a similar ICE setup! However, I came out disappointed :-(
Old 19th January 2008, 19:15   #13
Senior - BHPian

I got my "coughing" speakers checked by a car accessories guy in the Milan Subway market today. Without even listening to the sound, and just by looking at the speakers, he said that these are fake Pioneers

Apparently, the rear speaker grills were rusted. He says that original Pio speaker grills never rust. Also, the front speakers have been fitted into the door without their front grill. Only the OEM speaker grill has been fitted onto them. This is another sign that speakers are fake, according to the guy.

Anyways,I am now thinking of going for the following combo of speakers:
Rear: JBL GTO 937 6x9 3 way coax
Front: JBL GTO 637 (recommended by the installer as he says Getz can take 6 inch speakers in front. {I had suggested him GTO 537}). These would be 2 way coax.

The total price quoted by him is Rs 5800 (Rs 3400 for rear and Rs 2400 for front). Is it fine?

If I choose 3 way coax for front, the price would go up by Rs 1000.

As I am not too fond of loud music/deep bass, I dont want to go for an amp and/or SW right now.

Can someone suggest how the above speaker combo is?
Old 19th January 2008, 23:34   #14
Senior - BHPian

It is nice combo. you can also try the JBL GT5 Series, Illusion Audio, Infinity also
Old 21st January 2008, 11:10   #15
Senior - BHPian

Can some BHP guys recommend me a good installer in Mumbai? I am not very old to this city hence I don't know many shops around. I would prefer an installer who does a neat job, with good quality stuff and genuine equipment (cables etc)

Thanks a lot in advance!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks